• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

German Supermarkets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjp

It was good when Aldi had no hand baskets (about 4 or 5 years ago?), I would just fill my bag and when it was full my shopping was done.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Typing Co-Op above made me think. How would a German speaker pronounce Coop? I shopped in a Coop in Basel two years ago. I know that is not in Germany but it is in a German speaking area. Now we in Britain would automatically think Coop as Co-Op but German speakers might not have the same tradition.

Groningen

Established Member
In the Netherlands we say Co op. But sometimes there was (maybe still in some areas in NL) also as Supercoop and than i would say Coop with only 1 syllable. Coop can also be seen as Koop (english for buy).

Groningen

Established Member
There will be a new player on the market in Germany. TS (Tongservis) from Russia will have at least a store in Leipzig.

Belperpete

Established Member
In Porthmadog, there is an Aldi and a Lidl side-by-side, and a Tesco around the corner. The Aldi is always noticeably busier than the Lidl. I think this is because Aldi have adjusted their range to match the UK market, whereas Lidl is still decidedly continental. Locals tend to use the Aldi or Lidl (depending on preference), and only use Tesco for things you can't get in Aldi/Lidl. The tourists tend to use the Tesco, because it is more visible.

I have never had any issues with the quality of their produce. Supermarkets on the continent pay a lot more attention to quality, compared to the UK where price seems to be the overriding consideration. I was quite surprised when I went into a Tesco in Prague to find the fish counter had live fish in tanks that they would kill and fillet for you, for example, and none of the "basics" rubbish that we buy in the UK. I think their continental origin is why, although the produce in Aldi and Lidl may be cheap, it isn't rubbish. My experience is that the quality of the produce in Aldi is considerably better than Tesco or Asda, on a par with Morrisons or Sainsburys, but noticeably cheaper.

I also like that their vegetables seem to be less processed and packaged than Tesco. I am certain that Aldi source their vegetables and bakery products regionally, as there are often things that I can get in my local Aldi that I can't get in the Porthmadog one, and vice-versa.

I think Aldi also discount things locally, as I have often seen things discounted in one Aldi and then subsequently still at full price in another. Aldi certainly produce different booklets for different parts of the country (e.g. they sell Welsh rugby shirts in Wales and English rugby shirts in England).

I am not aware of any Aldi that has self-service tills, I think this is company policy to reduce shop-lifting. You do have to be a bit careful with the "we are opening till x" thing. Particularly in my local store, you can wait ages for someone to actually turn up and open it.

route101

Established Member
Typing Co-Op above made me think. How would a German speaker pronounce Coop? I shopped in a Coop in Basel two years ago. I know that is not in Germany but it is in a German speaking area. Now we in Britain would automatically think Coop as Co-Op but German speakers might not have the same tradition.

COOP in Denmark too .

route101

Established Member
In Porthmadog, there is an Aldi and a Lidl side-by-side, and a Tesco around the corner. The Aldi is always noticeably busier than the Lidl. I think this is because Aldi have adjusted their range to match the UK market, whereas Lidl is still decidedly continental. Locals tend to use the Aldi or Lidl (depending on preference), and only use Tesco for things you can't get in Aldi/Lidl. The tourists tend to use the Tesco, because it is more visible.

I have never had any issues with the quality of their produce. Supermarkets on the continent pay a lot more attention to quality, compared to the UK where price seems to be the overriding consideration. I was quite surprised when I went into a Tesco in Prague to find the fish counter had live fish in tanks that they would kill and fillet for you, for example, and none of the "basics" rubbish that we buy in the UK. I think their continental origin is why, although the produce in Aldi and Lidl may be cheap, it isn't rubbish. My experience is that the quality of the produce in Aldi is considerably better than Tesco or Asda, on a par with Morrisons or Sainsburys, but noticeably cheaper.

I also like that their vegetables seem to be less processed and packaged than Tesco. I am certain that Aldi source their vegetables and bakery products regionally, as there are often things that I can get in my local Aldi that I can't get in the Porthmadog one, and vice-versa.

I think Aldi also discount things locally, as I have often seen things discounted in one Aldi and then subsequently still at full price in another. Aldi certainly produce different booklets for different parts of the country (e.g. they sell Welsh rugby shirts in Wales and English rugby shirts in England).

I am not aware of any Aldi that has self-service tills, I think this is company policy to reduce shop-lifting. You do have to be a bit careful with the "we are opening till x" thing. Particularly in my local store, you can wait ages for someone to actually turn up and open it.

Yeah , scottish stores have certain bakery items you cant get down south and the local beer range .

route101

Established Member
Really? I'd say Lidl is more upmarket than Aldi tbh, it does have an onsite bakery which Aldi doesn't, and the checkout cashiers seem friendlier and less rushed.

Some Aldis seem to have in store bakeries now , one at Manchester Arndale

route101

Established Member
Lidl i feel have improved recently . One in Glasgow City Centre is a riot at times , small and has limite range/ no promotional items

Status
Not open for further replies.