• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Germany ticket

FlyingPotato

Hi, I know there have been conversations on this in the past
But how does the subscription system work - can you explain in layman's terms as the dB website confuses me. How do I cancel without spending any more than €49

For context, I want to use it for a single month in September and have no plans on using it after that

I'd also like to ask - what are the rules for short cross borders like Offenburg to Strasbourg, Munich Salzburg and so on

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlyingPotato

For Strasbourg, I know the Offenburg train is a ter
If I got on a kehl going towards Offenburg would it be allowed understanding that it is a ter

The exile

Established Member
Hi, I know there have been conversations on this in the past
But how does the subscription system work - can you explain in layman's terms as the dB website confuses me. How do I cancel without spending any more than €49

For context, I want to use it for a single month in September and have no plans on using it after that

I'd also like to ask - what are the rules for short cross borders like Offenburg to Strasbourg, Munich Salzburg and so on
I used the Hamburg app and it worked fine. If you’re going in September, take out a subscription sometime in August to start on 1st September (though I think Hamburg allows you to set a date later in the month and pay pro rata). Then cancel the subscription anytime between the 1st and 10th September. Your ticket remains valid till 30/09 and will not renew.

FlyingPotato

I used the Hamburg app and it worked fine. If you’re going in September, take out a subscription sometime in August to start on 1st September (though I think Hamburg allows you to set a date later in the month and pay pro rata). Then cancel the subscription anytime between the 1st and 10th September. Your ticket remains valid till 30/09 and will not renew.
So buy in August with a start date in September and cancel before the 10th of September
And this will give me all of September with no extra costs

Veteran Member
For Strasbourg, I know the Offenburg train is a ter
If I got on a kehl going towards Offenburg would it be allowed understanding that it is a ter
Kehl-Offenburg is fine as it's wholly within Germany and Nahverkehr.

poffle

Based on personal experience last year I would recommend against purchasing a Deutschland Ticket through DB.

They were ok at selling the ticket initially but they had no way of automatically cancelling the subscription. Instead it took to you to a form where you had to send a message to ask them to cancel the subscription. I got an acknowledgement of receipt of the message but that was all.

When I went to buy another DeutschlandTicket a few months later I got an error when I tried to purchase. I got an email acknowledgement that they were working in the problem. A few days before the start of the month I got an email which said they had a backlog but if I hadn't received the electronic ticket to show the email.
Travelled for 10 days or so in that basis and showed the email to a couple of bus drivers. DB never took the money and the information on the attempted purchase disappeared from the app. Turned I'd been a "Schwarzfahrer" for 10 days.

I think that DB were used to selling commuters annual subscriptions which were rarely cancelled so cancellations were dealt with manually. When the Deutschlandticket was launched they modified this system but were completely unable to cope with the level of cancellations.

Now use HVV App but had to use PayPal as it wouldn't take my Irish or German IBANs.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
HVV app is the way to go. Plus, if you buy it within the first few days of the month and then cancel straight away, you'll get it at a pro-rata price (I paid something like 46EUR).

DanNCL

Established Member
I got mine through the HVV app and it was a breeze, both to purchase and to cancel.
You can get it pro rata even if travelling after the 10th as long as you remember to cancel it by then. For example if you only want it from the 20th, you can buy in advance to start on that date. Even though you’ll have cancelled on the 10th it’ll still be valid for the period you chose it for.
In other words, if you’re doing a short trip the ticket is cheaper the later in the month you go!

No issues using it outside of the Hamburg area either even with the HVV logo clearly on the ticket, revenue staff in other parts of Germany were clearly used to it, even bus drivers in Koblenz were completely unbothered by it. Rightly so of course but being used to British staff getting things like this wrong it still came as a surprise!

rvdborgt

Works with credit cards as well
Have they fixed their app and are now more in line with the EU regulations?
I couldn't use my Belgian credit card or direct debit from my Belgian bank account when I first used it in August.

The exile

Established Member
Have they fixed their app and are now more in line with the EU regulations?
I couldn't use my Belgian credit card or direct debit from my Belgian bank account when I first used it in August.
Well, it worked with my UK credit card in November.

rvdborgt

Has anyone used it with MasterCard / visa debit based cards
I've just tried my Mastercard (and IBAN) again in the HVV switch app and it was refused again. The payment provider doesn't say anymore that they don't accept foreign cards or accounts but now refer to their customer service. I've filled in their form and after 5 minutes (!) I received a reply that their automated credit check with Schufa failed and they need some data from me for a manual credit check. I sent them what they need and we'll see.
Did @The exile also have to do this?

Edit: on 29/1, the payment provider notified me that I could now add my credit card (I suppose their manual credit check had a positive result), and indeed it worked now.

Last edited:

rvdborgt

I had no issues on VRR App. On my banking app I had to set it for overseas use.
VRR however don't offer pro rata payment for the first month, which is the reason I like the HVV Switch app. For a recent trip to Berlin, I only paid for 10 days.