• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting a New Camera - Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbonwick

Established Member
I have decided to take the plunge and get myself a dSLR. I 'm fairly sure that I'll get a Nikon D80, probably with a 18-70mm lense.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Michael

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Craig

Established Member
Have you tried a Nikon? I'd recommend trying some of the alternatives too before you commit yourself to a particular brand. Once you've got a body and a few lenses it's a bit awkward to change.

FusionRail

Some one your age with an expensive camera like that is a bit unpractical. Try something more like a Bridge camera, they have the same features, just you cant get dust on the lense/image sensor.

For example a younger family member got a D60 and has since then sold it on as it was too advanced for young people.

JoshW1992

Established Member
I've always fancied either a Nikon or a Canon. Ok, so maybe I am not too good with SLR's, but I have seen some photos taken with these brands of camera, and they are superb. Much better than I could get with my Fuji S9600.
My friend has Nikon and his photos are coming out great. So I would recommend a Nikon. On the other hand, I can say the same for the Canon.

Both equally good cameras in my opinion.

mbonwick

Established Member
Have you tried a Nikon? I'd recommend trying some of the alternatives too before you commit yourself to a particular brand. Once you've got a body and a few lenses it's a bit awkward to change.

Yes, my dad has been with them since film days, and the family camera which I currently use is a Coolpix 5200. We've had more cameras than I can count from Nikon.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
While I was in Kendal I popped into Jessops who've got rather a good deal going on the D60:

• Nikon D60 body + 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6G Lens
  • Jessops SDHC 4GB Memory card
  • Lowepro Rezo 160 bag
  • Nikon EN-EL9 battery
  • Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC HSM Lens
All for £632.99, but Nikon are doing a £60 cashback offer on the D60 before 31st August, so it's only £572.99

Not bad if I do say so myself. I've heard that the D60 is more beginner-friendly, so I'll probably go with it - I think.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Some one your age with an expensive camera like that is a bit unpractical. Try something more like a Bridge camera, they have the same features, just you cant get dust on the lense/image sensor.

For example a younger family member got a D60 and has since then sold it on as it was too advanced for young people.

It depends what the OP has previously had and how serious they plan to take the photography. An S9600 is a bridge camera and an SLR is a logical step.

My advice is to try the alternatives if you want but is is a good offer. My advice now is to get another memory card and possibly an external hard drive (if you haven't got them)

class 313

Established Member
Another thing is, most the time the camera is as good as the person using it. You could have a good DSLR but get worse results than a bridge camera.

BJMorley

I don't think that offer i that bad - Jessops are doing similar offers on Canon's EOS 450D, and Canon are also giving £50 Cashback, so it's around £525 odd.
Brandon

mbonwick

Established Member
My advice is to try the alternatives if you want but is is a good offer. My advice now is to get another memory card and possibly an external hard drive (if you haven't got them)

I've already got a 512MB SD card which will be fine, and an external 80GB hard drive, though I shouldn't need it as I have 2x500GB drives in the computer.

BJMorley

512MB!!! I only have space for 200 photos on 6.1mp - half that with 10-12MP Cameras!!!
Brandon

mbonwick

Established Member
Well OK, perhaps I really should get another memory card. But I'm not going to need it as soon as I start using the camera, so I'll buy it when funds allow.

It'll probably go on the order for new computer bits - Xmas time I guess.

Snapper

Established Member
The D80 is an excellent camera, and Nikon's are a delight to use. I'm at a loss to understand the argument that it might be 'too advanced' for a younger person, as it's a camera which will allow somone's skills to grow and still be useful - unlike a bridge camera.

The comment that a camera is only as good at the person using it is perfectly true. But if you can't take a decent picture with the D80 - it certainly won't be the camera's fault.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I take loads of bad and pointless shots at 9mp (2.2mb a go) and 1gb does me fine!

Craig

Established Member
If you're going to be shooting RAW then you'll probably want a bigger card. Today I took about 60 photos which came to about 600MB (8MB-ish for the RAW file and a low quality JPG).

class 313

Established Member
3gb (1gb + 2gb) doesn't suit me at all on 9mp. Because I also take a lot of videos. So I'm going to by a 8gb CF card.

Established Member
I have two 2gb SDs for my Fuji, and one 1GB CF card for my minolta.

Snapper

Established Member
Regarding memory cards. The obvious solution is buy the biggest that you can afford and shoot in the highest quality that you can.

The reason?

It's always possible to save pictures at a lesser quality than when they were originally taken. It's not possible to do it the other way round..

class 313

Established Member
Regarding memory cards. The obvious solution is buy the biggest that you can afford and shoot in the highest quality that you can.

The reason?

It's always possible to save pictures at a lesser quality than when they were originally taken. It's not possible to do it the other way round..

I 100% agree with you. Its a shame xD cards only go up to 2gb.

EE Type 3

Established Member
I shoot RAW, and on a 1GB CF card I can only take 58 photos :shock:

It all depends on what you want to take your pictures in, if your going to shoot RAW you need a bigger card.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Oops, Just found I have two, 1gb cards and one 512mb card :lol:

I shoot full 10.1mp jpegs on my 400D. Might make a start with raw when I can be arsed :lol:

Yank 119

I've owned 3 digital cameras in my day.

Started on a Kodak EasyShare back in 2002 - then, absolute rubbish, never waste your time with Kodak. However, I understand that their current products are on par.

I got a Nikon Coolpix 5700 in 2003. This camera is really what I learned to shoot on, and lasted me for two years. I'm a big roster shooter, and its small buffer was too slow for my needs. The picture quality was excellent for the time, but was quickly outdated. Many pixels were "lost" with time, which resulted in orange or blue dead pixels in a dark photo. By the time I was 17, I was ready for a dSLR.

A friend of mine had been using a Canon 20D for a while, and after a bit of research I decided I wanted to go Canon. Their lens system and hardware appealed to me, so I decided to get a Canon 20D for Christmas of 2005. The only complaint I have is the sensor picks up a lot of dust, but Canon has since rectified this problem with their self-cleaning sensor system, a real selling point for me. I bought a 17-85mm EF IS lens, which is absolutely perfect. I also have a cheap 70-300mm EF telephoto lens, which produces great photos with the aid of a tripod.

My next camera will be a Canon, most likely the 40D.

To conclude, I really learned how to shoot on a Nikon from age 14 to 17. I enjoyed my time with it, but I now prefer Canon. One of my close friends has a Nikon D40X, which is nice, but not for me.

It's interesting that Canon is offering rebates to those in the UK market. Canon is usually more expensive here across the pond, and most railfans choose Nikon. I enjoy being different. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.