• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting around London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in London for a couple of days in 2 weeks and am wondering what the best way of getting aound on the tube would be?

Im avoiding the Oyster Card route as I will only be in London this once and seriously doubt ill be back again this year, well not to be using the Tube or Bus anyway.

We have to travel from St Pancras to Old Street and back the next day, but may well nip off somewhere on the second day as our return train isn not until 19.30. I seem to remember that it was getting on for £4 each for a single last time we went down (although I may be wrong), and O know there is Zone rovers? available? We will be in Zone 1 all the time, so is there a day travel card available that would be better than buying singles or an Oyster?

Im a bit of an amateur when it comes to getting round London, so the simpler the better! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I would still look at getting an Oyster, you can get one through TFL's website for £12 which gives £10 credit (saves time buying it on the day) as a visitor, then you can get any unused credit refunded on your way back. Otherwise it's a travelcard.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Zone 1 & 2 off-peak day travelcard is £5.60 (can get just z1, but it is the same price), with railcard discounts available. Peak (before 9:30am) is £7.20. This gives you travel on all Underground, National Rail and bus services within Zones 1 & 2.

Zone 1 & 2 off-peak day travelcard is £5.60 (can get just z1, but it is the same price), with railcard discounts available. Peak (before 9:30am) is £7.20. This gives you travel on all Underground, National Rail and bus services within Zones 1 & 2.

Thats more what im looking for, Off-peak sounds like a good idea, it will only be a ride down the northern line somewhere then back up to St Pancras way. It will be a decide on the day thing, depending on weather and how we feel, so thats was my main reason for avoiding an Oyster.

Cheers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OH F-ING FANTASTIC!

Rail strike 6,7,8 and 9th of April

I travel from Nottingham to St Pancras on the 11.28 on the 8th and St Pancras to Nottingham at 19.30 on the 9th!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Watching things very carefully now, not sitting on a bloody bus to London and back!

MCR247

Established Member
Thats more what im looking for, Off-peak sounds like a good idea, it will only be a ride down the northern line somewhere then back up to St Pancras way. It will be a decide on the day thing, depending on weather and how we feel, so thats was my main reason for avoiding an Oyster.

Cheers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OH F-ING FANTASTIC!

Rail strike 6,7,8 and 9th of April

I travel from Nottingham to St Pancras on the 11.28 on the 8th and St Pancras to Nottingham at 19.30 on the 9th!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Watching things very carefully now, not sitting on a bloody bus to London and back!

Your outward should run, strikes are 6-10am and 1800-2200 so your return looks dodgy

Your outward should run, strikes are 6-10am and 1800-2200 so your return looks dodgy

East Midlands Trains have said all services between London St Pancras and Nottingham, Derby, Sheffield and Leicester will run as normal, with changes being made to local services, which has lifted my mood a little!

From the EMT website......

Important strike information
Article posted on 25/03/2010

East Midlands Trains has today pledged to keep passengers on the move by running a normal daytime service on its trains to London, despite industrial action planned by RMT signalling and maintenance staff on 6, 7, 8, and 9 April 2010.

A normal daytime service is expected to run on trains between Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham, Leicester and London St Pancras International.

If the planned strike action does go ahead, a reduced train service will operate on all local routes and details of this service will be made available on our website as soon as possible.

Tim Shoveller, Managing Director for East Midlands Trains said: “We have been working closely with Network Rail to establish the timetable we could run in the event of any industrial action. It is clear that this work has paid off, and we are pleased to be announcing that a normal daytime timetable is planned to run on our London services.

“However, it looks likely that this planned strike action will have an impact on our local routes and we are currently finalising plans to ensure we can run as good a service as we possibly can on these routes. This information, along with further advice for passengers, will be made available as soon as possible.”

If strike action takes place and passengers are unable to travel because their booked service is cancelled, passengers will be able to get a full refund.

Detailed timetable information and advice will be made available as soon as possible on our website.

For further information, passengers are advised to visit the National Rail Enquiries website at, which features a dedicated disruption page.

A60K

But note the word 'daytime' in that announcement. Given that EMT don't run any overnight services, then I think that means it's not going to be a full traffic day - possibly only 7am to 7pm?

If they were planning a normal timetable for the whole day then the word 'daytime' wouldn't be necessary.

MCR247

Established Member
They run the 0015 STP - LEI and the 2315 STP - DBY via NOT

A60K

They run the 0015 STP - LEI and the 2315 STP - DBY via NOT

Well, yes, not daytime, but not truly overnight! I wish they would be clearer about what they mean by the word 'daytime', as it's obviously the source of confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.