• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting back old files

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
Alright all
I think i remember someone telling me that if you delete something from the recycling bin that you didnt mean to, you can get it back by going into DOS mode?
I bought a 2 disc album and was copying it onto my pc when i noticed both cd's had the same files names. So while editting the names of the wrong disc, Windows must of decided to put 2 of the tracks into the recycling bin. I emptied it without checking, i've searched the pc high and low and i cant find it, so i can only presume it went into the recyling bin before i emptied it
Trouble is i can't find the disc that files came off of, so i need to bring them back the hard way

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
PS Unless some can send me 'Rime of the ancient mariner' and '2 minutes to midnight' from the album 'Best of the beast' by Iron Maiden?

Tom B

Established Member
<pedantic bit about DOS and Bindoze NT here>

Going into "DOS mode" (cmd.exe) might get you somewhere but it wouldn't be my reccomend way of doing it. Take a googlesearch, you might find some stuff about it there to recover the files (remember contrary to what noobs think it isn't deleted, just flagged as having no use so unless you've overwritten that sector it will still be there). "Undelete" features built into some antivirus software is often just taking a copy of everything being deleted :roll: (if people use these then why delete stuff in the first place :?). However there are tools which can retreive at least part of old files.

Status
Not open for further replies.