• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting to Gatwick - 60+ Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_stoat

Hi All

I hope you can help me.

A friend of mine recently got his London 60+ card (colloquially known as the Boris card - not a Freedom Pass) and he is going to Gatwick with his partner.

I know that you cannot put PAYG on the 60+ and I am fairly sure he cannot use it to get all the way to Gatwick (is that right?) so just wondering what ticket he could get...

He and his partner also hold a Two Together Card if that helps? She (the partner) does not have any seasons on her Oyster

Thanks!

Edit: to add, they are going from London Bridge on a Thursday afternoon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi All

I hope you can help me.

A friend of mine recently got his London 60+ card (colloquially known as the Boris card - not a Freedom Pass) and he is going to Gatwick with his partner.

I know that you cannot put PAYG on the 60+ and I am fairly sure he cannot use it to get all the way to Gatwick (is that right?) so just wondering what ticket he could get...

He and his partner also hold a Two Together Card if that helps? She (the partner) does not have any seasons on her Oyster

Thanks!

Edit: to add, they are going from London Bridge on a Thursday afternoon
I'm not an expert by any means (so wait for other answers before buying!), but I understand that a Boundary Zone 6 to Gatwick Airport ticket may be the cheapest option (and valid on all non-stop trains, subject to route/TOC restrictions).

Alternatively, if speed is not of the essence, getting the stopping train (Southern or Thameslink, depending on the starting London Terminal) and a ticket from the last station the train stops at or passes through which is in Zones 1-6 (i.e. covered by the Freedom Pass), usually Coulsdon South, to Gatwick is a slightly cheaper option for the Off-Peak Day Return (£4.15 vs £4.30).

If speed really isn't of the essence, it would be even slightly cheaper to get off a stopper at Coulsdon South, tap out with the Freedom Pass, then tap in with an Oyster card and get the next stopper to Gatwick (and tap out there with the Oyster card). That's only £2.05 after 09:30 (assuming they're using a Senior Railcard, which they're eligible for at 60), so a lot cheaper if they're not returning the same day, and all of 5p cheaper if they are! NB, you can't add a Two Together discount to an Oyster card, for rather obvious reasons. Better to get a Senior Railcard IMO.

Last edited:

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Thameslink-only Anytime Day Single from East Croydon to Gatwick Airport - £4.60. No need to leave the train.

Alternatively, get off the train at East Croydon and exit through the gateline using 60+ card, then re-enter using Oyster or contactless and take the next train to Gatwick. The PAYG fare between East Croydon and Gatwick is £3.10 off-peak, and £5.30 peak (journeys starting 0630-0930 and 1600-1900 weekdays).

If the partner were to do the same out-in shuffle at East Croydon using Oyster/contactless, they can save some money too - the PAYG fare from London Bridge (or Victoria) to East Croydon is £3.40 off-peak, £5.20 peak. Combined with the East Croydon to Gatwick fare, one can get to Gatwick for £6.50 off-peak, £10.50 peak. To benefit from this one can use the same Oyster/contactless card.

The regular London Bridge/ Victoria to Gatwick PAYG fare (not on Gatwick Express) is £8.30 off-peak, £14.70 peak.

Of course many might consider the extra a price worth paying for just being able to stay on the same train rather than faffing about going out and in at East Croydon.

miss_stoat

Thanks for the replies, they're really helpful...I think the plan is to get on one train and stay on it. The pair of them will have luggage with them and it's just faff to do the out-in shuffle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.