• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting Water into a Cold Boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diplodicus

Steam engine boilers have a water feed provided by a steam injector. How do you get the water into a cold empty boiler?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
Some locos, particularly GWR, as well as an injector had crosshead pumps, connected to the cylinder motion. You can thus propel them up and down the yard with another locomotive to activate the pump and get water in.

Pigeon

Hose into the injector overflow would do it if the boiler was cold, or indeed if it was not cold but also not hot enough for the pressure to exceed that of the water mains. I have heard of hose connector fittings being permanently mounted on the ends of injector overflow pipes to facilitate this method.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Some locos, particularly GWR, as well as an injector had crosshead pumps, connected to the cylinder motion. You can thus propel them up and down the yard with another locomotive to activate the pump and get water in.
None of the GWR locos I worked on had such a pump. It was all done by backfilling with a hose.

The only pump connected to the motion on GWR locos was the vacuum pump

dazzler

My father fills his steamroller boiler through the manhole cover ( an inspection hatch on the side of the boiler, above boiler tube level) with a hose pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.