• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gizzy's Birthday Bash 2009

Where should Gizzy's next birthday bash be?

• WCML

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • ECML

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • MML

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • S&C

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Cross Country

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
(gently nudges back on topic)

So, the ECML's winning then! That'd be good considering there's lots of FC space and it's got HSTs (and 91s a suppose...) :D:D:D

me123

Established Member
I haven't been on a 91 either, but I've been in the Mark 4 carriages behind them ;)

They're quite nice, actually. Light, airy and a decent amount of room. But the seats aren't exactly the most comfortable; old HST seats are far superior!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've voted XC, as although it's not as fast as the ECML it takes you through such a contrast of scenery, urbanity, suburbanity, rural countryside and once you get to Devon and Cornwall the gradients become considerable, with the other major pull being the Lickey. Shame it's all MTUs now, but there we go.

If you do decide to do the Glasgow to Penzance, I'll be well up for it. Massive mileage and a cross-country journey if I ever heard one! Of course, there's a chance to scratch in some bits and bobs in Scotland beforehand for me, so I'm already keen.

If you decide to do the ECML, what run would you choose? A Leeds to London would be convienient I suspect from Buxton for the host, but nowhere near as much fun as storming at 125mph up the ECML. Maybe a York to London (still relatively convienient for the host and I'm happy enough to get to Manchester for a TPX over actually for both)?

All this assumes I get invited mind!

As for BJMorley's comments, FGW aren't that bad all the time. I suggest making a trip down to the Western and enjoying some FGW HSTs proper and see how good they can be.

Darandio

Established Member
ECML please!!! Not that it will matter anyway, I won't be invited :D

Tell you what, there's a lot of bickering on this thread isn't there, wasn't expecting that when I first started reading it.

Established Member
I suggest making a trip down to the Western and enjoying some FGW HSTs proper and see how good they can be.

MTUs? Proper? I'd stick with our 170s thanks.

As I read it 'Techniquest' is saying come and have a proper bash on FGW HST's (i.e. a day out bashing them to see what FGW is like) not that they are 'proper', 'real' etc.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Seriously has BJ not taken his happy pills today?

I might do the XC thing, or the NXEC one. Prefer the NXEC, free wi-fi and I'd have something to do! :lol:
Just kidding. Could take some DVDs along..

P156KWJ

Established Member
tbh, although valentas really are great things to ride behind... I've had loads of them! I didn't even realise we had a valenta PC until I got off the train last week! MTU, VP185, whatever - it's a HST

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As I read it 'Techniquest' is saying come and have a proper bash on FGW HST's (i.e. a day out bashing them to see what FGW is like) not that they are 'proper', 'real' etc.

Thanks for that clarification, that's precisely what I meant.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's now a 08:20 Aberdeen to Penzance which arrives at 21:50.

I thought that was a Voyager? 0632 Dundee to Plymouth is the only HST up on that line I know of (obviously not including the NXEC lot!). I'll be happy to stand corrected if you've got evidence to the contrary.

Sulzer25: Evidentally you weren't looking at what power cars you had or something then!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nice. 13 and a half hours behind an MTU. :|

You could always take some recordings of a Valenta with you and play them if you were that desperate? Or take off the rose-tinted specs and have a proper listen to the MTU, some of which I've found to be quite beasty (only had 285, 301, 303 and 357 of the XC MTUs so far but I was impressed).

Besides, isn't it more important to have a social good time on the train rather than worrying about the noise off the power car on a meet like this? If it was being advertised as a crank's day out with the social side of the meet being at either end of the journey, then fair enough you'd want to have something good powering the train to enjoy the trip. I was, however, of the impression this meet was to have a good time and celebrate Gizmogle's birthday...

Established Member
I thought that was a Voyager? 0632 Dundee to Plymouth is the only HST up on that line I know of (obviously not including the NXEC lot!). I'll be happy to stand corrected if you've got evidence to the contrary.

I have the following diagrams for the XC HST's for this current timetable:

Mondays to Fridays

Set 1: 1V19 0600 Leeds-Plymouth
1S51 1221 Plymouth-Glasgow Central

Set 2: 1V23 0632 York-Plymouth
1S55 1321 Plymouth-Edinburgh

Set 3: 1V31 0608 Edinburgh-Plymouth
1E63 1521 Plymouth-York

Set 4: 1V39 0632 Dundee-Plymouth
1E73 1721 Plymouth-Leeds

Saturdays

Set 1: 1V19 0600 Leeds-Plymouth
1S51 1221 Plymouth-Glasgow Central

Set 2: 1V39 0700 Glasgow Central-Plymouth
1E73 1721 Plymouth-Leeds

Set 3: 1V47 0900 Glasgow Central-Penzance

Sundays

Set 1: 1V27 0730 Leeds-Plymouth
1S59 1421 Plymouth-Edinburgh

Set 2: 1V31 0830 Leeds-Plymouth
1E63 1521 Plymouth-York

Set 3: 1V43 0850 Edinburgh-Plymouth
1E75 1821 Plymouth-Leeds

Set 4: 1S55 1123 Penzance-Edinburgh

Ilove165's

Maybe a GC one?

It's a HST with added Valenta power and required track for some people :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.