• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Central Escalators - Please Stand on the Left

Peter0124

Established Member
Anyone know why the station changed it from Right to Left around covid time IIRC?

Must be one of the only stations in Britain to do this, was told on twitter that there's no particular reason why it was done.

Mind you, most people stand on both sides at Central anyway (to my slight annoyance sometimes).

Escalators at Partick (and I think Argyle Street too) are stand on the right, as are most if not all of the London Underground IIRC. So it's a bit confusing needing to switch to the left at Central.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
At a guess, standing on the left increases the distance between users of the up and down escalators.

route101

Established Member
I have never noticed this at Central. Is it the escalators from High level to low level ticket office?

Peter0124

Established Member
It probably has something to do with that actually, because they still have those 2-metre foot markings on the escalators, on the left. About 3 or 4 steps apart from eachother.

No idea why they didn't just revert back to the Right like everywhere else because 2 metre covid measures are over. It's nearly 2024!

Heck they still have a one-way system in the low level which has been there since covid. However the steps down from the link corridor to the middle of Platform 16/17 should remain one-way as it is far too narrow for both flows. It is currently entrance only.

But as for the larger stairs at the far end of the platform, they should be opened for both flows, same with the quick steps onto Argyle Street, which both remain exit only.

Last edited:

Spsf3232

Partick has painted foot steps on the left where you stand, but signs that tell you to stand on the right

OscarH

Standing on the right always seemed backwards to me, the left makes more sense. Right is so ingrained in people's heads though, does seem odd to keep it the reverse of 90% of train stations though