• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Central - low level refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JModulo

Any idea when they'll fix it? I don't think having the train stop that far down is a good idea when the escalators are further up.
A station window at Bridgeton has been broken for a few years now so...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Furrball

And also in my opinion I would like to see the old announcer come back (the one in 2019), I really dislike the current one.
Yeah, the new platform announcer is horrid.

The old Ditra / Allison McKay system sounded much better.

dorsetdesiro

Are there escalators to the lower level platforms at Central and Queen Street? If not, are there any plans to install these? Quite archaic & Victorian to have steps in 2022 as Glasgow users deserve better when Edinburgh's Haymarket & Waverley have escalators.

Peter0124

Established Member
Are there escalators to the lower level platforms at Central and Queen Street? If not, are there any plans to install these? Quite archaic & Victorian to have steps in 2022 as Glasgow users deserve better when Edinburgh's Haymarket & Waverley have escalators.
Theres escalators from the High Level platforms to the street level then from there to the link corridor but thats about it. Just stairs and a lift to the actual platforms. There really should be escalators on all levels. And that middle staircase could do with being made wider, walking down that for a train when everyones leaving was a nightmare.

There could be space to extend the platform width a little bit and move the track on platform 16 more to the right as there is a larger gap there between the track and the wall compared to 17. That's if more space is needed for wider stairwells (the middle one) / escalators. Could also be good if a third stairwell was built on the Anderston end of the station and exited nearer to the new JP Morgan office by Robertson Street.

Last edited:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Just been through and… nothing’s changed (from what I could tell).

Still appeared exactly the same to me for the most part:

497D6F3A-F4F7-4BCB-9F06-2B8B81CE7FD4.jpeg932D6EB0-D540-4244-838A-2BE9234A5DC3.jpegFFCFEE9C-2824-40F7-9A34-FD4CD90719BF.jpeg4E767905-90BA-48AC-9EDA-CD5608F5ADC3.jpeg

Peter0124

Established Member
Have yous had a look at Argyle St/Anderston yet? Does it still have the yellow panels and blue Scotrail signage on the wall?

Last edited:

Scotrail12

I genuinely wonder what happened to the plans earlier in the thread to refurbish Central LL. From a passenger perspective, nothing has been done in the platform area or tunnels to the ticket hall. And Argyle Street remains yellow.

Nev85

I genuinely wonder what happened to the plans earlier in the thread to refurbish Central LL. From a passenger perspective, nothing has been done in the platform area or tunnels to the ticket hall. And Argyle Street remains yellow.
A quick look at the planning application status shows those plans still under consideration and thus unrelated to the closure just ended:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
What exactly has been done. The way Scotrail made it out, it was like they were making visible improvements that passengers could see… did they really close it for so many months for barely any tidy up at the stations?

Peter0124

Established Member
Really surprised they didn't even bother to fix the yellow line at Glasgow Central low level it's all fading away, and could have also had the opportunity to install tactile paving so we wouldn't hear that awful sounding tannoy announcement.

Last edited:

Mrwerdna1

Ok, so as predicted, Glasgow LL will (hopefully) receive a refresh later on, perhaps in a few months or a year or so. What about Argyle Street though, because unlike Anderston (where work is currently taking place) and Glasgow LL (where work is supposed to take place in the future), I'm not aware of any plans to refurbish the station, though I presume it will follow suit at some point?

Scotrail12

I mean, come on…

We pay a lot of money to use trains in Scotland, at least paint the damn station.

Attachments

• C091EC75-7F44-4CD0-B770-C1EF7E8E0EA3.jpeg
    C091EC75-7F44-4CD0-B770-C1EF7E8E0EA3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 102

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but last time any significant money was spent at argyle Street was the escalator replacement in the mid 2000s. Must be almost falling due for another one 1-in 5 years or so

Peter0124

Established Member
I mean, come on…

We pay a lot of money to use trains in Scotland, at least paint the damn station.
Whilst this isn't an issue in the slightest, I do find it funny that some of the Scotrail logos when standing right infront of it just look like they say "Scot". I believe the "Rail" part of it has some kind of transparent font used lol cause looking from a different angle is different.

Attachments

• IMG_20220509_190806.jpg
    IMG_20220509_190806.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220509_190818.jpg
    IMG_20220509_190818.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 92

mcmad

What exactly has been done. The way Scotrail made it out, it was like they were making visible improvements that passengers could see… did they really close it for so many months for barely any tidy up at the stations?
As I said in post 31, the block was primarily for structures repairs to some of the tunnel sections in the cut and cover, anything else that could be added in had to fit around the core requirements, and with budgets tight, not cost too much. Have heard also that the condition of the tunnel roofs was worse than expected and so not all the nice to do works (not just tidying up the stations other non structures works) didn't happen.

Peter0124

Established Member
Found out that tactile paving and a new yellow line were installed at Argyle St, but why not Central?

Peter0124

Established Member
Seems like the planning application has been approved (yay). I wonder when Scotrail will give the details regarding when the works are to take place.

Yay! I am just surprised Anderston was done first seeing as it's the least used of the city centre stations. I am looking forward to seeing what the new Glasgow Central will look like, and hopefully it's brighter and more welcoming than currently.

Though I wonder how they'll close off the station to do the work without closing the line, I suppose Argyle Street could be a slightly inconvenient short-term alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.