• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I noticed that part of the screening on platform 2 was removed revealling a whitewashed refurbished section. Not sure of the purpose of this, its behind the barrier line so cant be another temporary entrance surely?

I just noticed that today yesterday – I think it will form part of the new station buildings. There appears to be new steel work being erected above and behind in that area, but I would need to look at the plans to be certain of what it is. Couldn't find any decent pictures so this will have to do for now:

glq_plat_2.jpg

glq_plt2a.jpg

Last edited:

mmh

Established Member
It's great that it's been uncovered and bloody awful it's going to be covered up again. Like Jim Bowen telling you "here's what you could have won"

Carntyne

It's not part of the new station, it'll likely be the access to LL when they're demolishing the higher part of Dundas Street.

mcmad

It's not part of the new station, it'll likely be the access to LL when they're demolishing the higher part of Dundas Street.
I hope not, its hard enough getting through the barriers as it is, never mind if there is only half the width.

GrimShady

Established Member
Any renderings on the North Hanover new development?

What sort of taxi rank/drop off will we end up with?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Any renderings on the North Hanover new development?

What sort of taxi rank/drop off will we end up with?

No plans available yet - it's only a few months since the old plans were dropped and work on the new staff buildings suddenly stopped. I wouldn't be surprised if the new plans for the North Hanover Street section were still being drawn (OK CADded) up.

There's another of these pathetic little videos available now. Only 2 minutes to watch but ages to work out how to video it clearly without attracting unwelcome attention.

Whole Queen Street series available here.

route101

Established Member
No plans available yet - it's only a few months since the old plans were dropped and work on the new staff buildings suddenly stopped. I wouldn't be surprised if the new plans for the North Hanover Street section were still being drawn (OK CADded) up.

There's another of these pathetic little videos available now. Only 2 minutes to watch but ages to work out how to video it clearly without attracting unwelcome attention.

The taxis park on Nelson Mandela place and north side of george square . I think CAD is old technology now ha

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
It was still pencils, paper, compasses, rulers , T and set squares when I did techie drawing at school!
Asking for a rubber did not cause any puerile mirth then :)

och aye

I personally enjoy them. Your videos provide much better coverage than Network Rail's twitter feed. So thank you for doing these videos. :)

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I personally enjoy them. Your videos provide much better coverage than Network Rail's twitter feed. So thank you for doing these videos. :)

Kind of you to say that.
I got a bit frustrated trying to do that last one while trying to fit it in with other things. I ended up having to do the voiceover on the move during a thunderstorm :)

Carntyne

Videos are great. For those of us who work in the railway it's handy to see as we don't often get the chance to stop and have a proper look around!

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
In order not to outrage and mislead my millions thousands hundreds OK the handful of viewers noted above, I changed the description from "Twenty second update" to "Twenty-second update". Alas, it goes on for nearly 3 minutes – you may prefer to boil an egg instead.

Gadget88

It can’t come quick enough station is horrible. Been an empty shell since Burger King and WH Smith left.

The_Engineer

Update 22 now available. Demolition seems nearly complete and it looks like some construction work is starting. Oh, and there's a "happy" ending... o_O :lol:

(Link to series).
Brilliant updates, please keep them coming! I spent a lot of time around Queen Street during my professional time in Glasgow, so I can't wait to see how the redevelopment turns out.....

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
At the low level section of the Dundas Street concourse, I have noticed that the commemorative plaques for when the line was electrified in 1960, plus the 25 and 50 year anniversary for 1985 and 2010 respectively have been removed from the wall that is adjacent to Platform 1 of the main station.

Will these 3 plaques be replaced once the works are complete?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The plaques were actually though the wall from platform 2. Platform 1 is where you would go if you did a Harry Potter platform 9 3/4 through the end wall of the vestibule for the low level stairs :)

I don’t know the answer to your question - I was actually wondering that myself. I fear and suspect that they will replaced by a new one somewhere else in the station celebrating the latest (presently incomplete) refurbishment. I’ll be delighted if I’m wrong and they are rehung.

If you are on Twitter you could ask them.

Established Member
I'm confused by the references to platforms 1 and 2, the only electrification plaque I've seen at Queen Street is on the bridge between platforms 8 and 9?

gsnedders

Established Member
I'm confused by the references to platforms 1 and 2, the only electrification plaque I've seen at Queen Street is on the bridge between platforms 8 and 9?
Yes. The other side of that (now former) wall is the walkway alongside platform 2; there are now doors in that wall from the western low-level concourse to platform 2.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Not sure if this diagram (hastily cobbled up from one of the plans of the existing station) will help:

plaques.jpg

Established Member
Not sure if this diagram (hastily cobbled up from one of the plans of the existing station) will help:

View attachment 48994
Ah right, now I get it, thank you. I haven't been in that exact area for a few weeks so I couldn't make the connection in my mind's eye.

Walking through the remains of WH Smith as the main High Level entrance has been confusing enough!

ScottDarg

A couple of new renders have been posted on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGQS/status/1013793689397792770
Step inside the redeveloped #GlasgowQueenStreet as we share these new artist impressions revealing how much bigger & brighter the station will be. #RailwayUpgradePlan #EGIP

DhGwVkiWsAAb_4M.jpg

DhGwasSWAAAaJ_T.jpg

Rick1984

What are the plans for low level access. Will there be an entrance onto George square. What is under Queen St. platforms?

Rick1984

Unfortunately in that render they've covered the recently exposed side of millennium hotel. Would've been nice if they could've integrated into the design

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
There’s a free bus provided (or a short walk to counteract the calories if you prefer) from Queen Street to the one at Central :)

Status
Not open for further replies.