• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Stalybridge - permitted routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyvegas

I have an off peak single from Glasgow to Stalybridge on Sunday 18th February. The ticket states via Carlisle and I have a reservation on a Virgin service as far as Carlisle. Would this ticket allow me to take the S&C from Carlisle and travel to Stalybridge via Leeds?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
On Sunday 18th there are engineering works and services around the Manchester area are replaced by buses.
I can get a journey planner to give an itinerary with changes and buses which involves the 1138 from Glasgow.

Changes at Carlisle for the 1259 towards Leeds
Change at Hellifield
Change at Blackburn
Bus to Manchester Victoria.
Bus to Stalybridge.

Journey time is 7hr40, so not recommended.

I can’t get a journey planner to give an itinerary that way in the week.

Then again I can’t seem to get many journey planners to offer your ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Glasgow - Carlisle - Hellifield - Clitheroe - Blackburn - Manchester - Stalybridge is permitted on maps GK+MG+GM

There is no weekday service between Hellifield & Clitheroe.

Glasgow - Carlisle - Hellifield - Leeds - Huddersfield - Stalybridge is not a permitted route. However it seems reasonable (it may well have previously been a permitted route).

Romilly

Established Member
I could get an itinerary (on Virgin Trains by putting "via Clitheroe", also on C2C) for 1138 Glasgow-Carlisle, 1259 Carlisle-Hellifield, 1455 Hellifield-Preston, 1647 Preston-Piccadilly and 1743 Piccadilly-Stalybridge.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes that itinerary also follows a permitted route using map combination GK+MG+GM.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Glasgow - Carlisle - Hellifield - Leeds - Huddersfield - Stalybridge is not a permitted route. However it seems reasonable (it may well have previously been a permitted route).

It was a Permitted Route in the 1996 Routeing Guide. It is a perfectly reasonable route and looks like it was removed by mistake at some point between 1996 and June 2013 (June 2013 is the oldest "modern" Routing Guide that I have on my hard-drive).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I suspect the Department for Transport (DfT) did not give permission for this change (anyone want to ask them?)

Rail Delivery Group (RDG) argues that removal of routes makes things "simpler" for passengers; their dislike of passengers taking reasonable routes continues unabated, and this is an example of that.

I'd just do the journey and invoke the "Disputed Route Procedure" in the unlikely event I was challenged.

trickyvegas

I have a reservation on the 0938 Virgin service to Carlisle then the itinerary on the booking tells me to get the 1133 Transpenine to Manchester but with no seat reservations available which suggests it may be a very busy train and as time is no issue, it'd be nice to enjoy a different route.

I take from the replies that Carlisle - Leeds - Stalybridge would not be permitted ? That was my original intention as the fastest alternative journey time

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As stated above Glasgow - Carlisle - Hellifield - Leeds - Huddersfield - Stalybridge is not currently permitted route. However it seems reasonable and it was until recently a permitted route. It is unlikely permission was granted by the DfT for the route to be removed. It is also unlikely that there would be any need to invoke the disputed route procedure in order to use this route.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No that isn't mapped either, and it is also more convoluted to get to Stalybridge that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.