• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Tripper now available from operator apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As I understand it, Tripper tickets were previously only available on a smart card, but now they will be available to purchase on the First, McGill's and West Coast Motors apps.

The Glasgow Bus Alliance, which represents the city’s bus operators, has announced a new multi-operator mobile ticket, now available from the apps of the city’s major operators. The new Glasgow Tripper offers a selection of multi-operator tickets including day, weekly and flexi travel bundles.
Previously available only with a registered smartcard, Tripper tickets can now be bought on the mobile apps of First, McGill’s and West Coast Motors. The tickets can also be used for travel on services operated by Stagecoach West Scotland and Whitelaw’s.

Offering unlimited travel, bus users can access hundreds of routes in and around Glasgow, with one ticket – removing the need to purchase multiple bus tickets from different operators.

The tickets can be used on Stagecoach and Whitelaw's services too, but not purchased. This seems to be a recipe for confusion!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
The tickets can be used on Stagecoach and Whitelaw's services too, but not purchased. This seems to be a recipe for confusion!
I see no reason why the Stagecoach app couldn't sell the multi operator tickets, that's a bit of a strange one. What ticket machines are Whitelaws using as well to not be able to scan these tickets? I thought Whitelaws were using Ticketer.

As for Stagecoach and Whitelaws saying that the tickets can't be purchased, It seems to suggest that tickets can still be purchased on these operators in the old format (needing the smartcard).

Something that I do find interesting is that this is the Glasgow Bus Alliance but JMB, one of the biggest independents in the area, is part of the alliance but doesn't accept this multi operator ticket. I think it's unlikely to happen but would be good to see SPT put this as a tender spec requirement to accept the ticket, especially considering the amount of areas where the tendered buses are ran by a completely different operator to the core operator. Other comments would be why is the scheme not extended as theres so many areas that could benefit from it. Like a Glasgow + Cumbernauld Tripper as Cumbernauld has so many operators.

route101

Established Member
I will put this to the test. Good to see McGills in this as they weren't part of the Daytripper ticket.

Stan Drews

Established Member
I will put this to the test. Good to see McGills in this as they weren't part of the Daytripper ticket.
I see no reason why the Stagecoach app couldn't sell the multi operator tickets, that's a bit of a strange one. What ticket machines are Whitelaws using as well to not be able to scan these tickets? I thought Whitelaws were using Ticketer.

As for Stagecoach and Whitelaws saying that the tickets can't be purchased, It seems to suggest that tickets can still be purchased on these operators in the old format (needing the smartcard).

Something that I do find interesting is that this is the Glasgow Bus Alliance but JMB, one of the biggest independents in the area, is part of the alliance but doesn't accept this multi operator ticket. I think it's unlikely to happen but would be good to see SPT put this as a tender spec requirement to accept the ticket, especially considering the amount of areas where the tendered buses are ran by a completely different operator to the core operator. Other comments would be why is the scheme not extended as theres so many areas that could benefit from it. Like a Glasgow + Cumbernauld Tripper as Cumbernauld has so many operators.
I understand that the Stagecoach app can’t produce mobile tickets that can be scanned/read by other operators ticket machines. Whilst Stagecoach accept the new mobile Tripper tickets, they do so simply as a show and go ‘flash’ pass to the driver, rather than them being presented to/accepted by the Ticketer machines on the other major operators.

The Daytripper ticket was an SPT initiative, where operators received minimal reimbursement, hence why McGill’s didn’t accept it. Tripper is an operator led initiative.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I understand that the Stagecoach app can’t produce mobile tickets that can be scanned/read by other operators ticket machines. Whilst Stagecoach accept the new mobile Tripper tickets, they do so simply as a show and go ‘flash’ pass to the driver, rather than them being presented to/accepted by the Ticketer machines on the other major operators.
Is this using the Passenger QR code schema then as I know Stagecoach do multi operator tickets on their app already (South Yorkshire has them, Oxford SmartZone on here, Tyne and Wear has one. Just the few easy ones that I found)

So no paper version?
Nope, never has been sadly. Big missed opportunity when there are calls for franchising to make ticketing easier and cheaper and yet you have a ticket which makes things easier but make the ticket hard to get.

Last edited:

Scotrail88

Is this using the Passenger QR code schema then as I know Stagecoach do multi operator tickets on their app already (South Yorkshire has them, Oxford SmartZone on here, Tyne and Wear has one. Just the few easy ones that I found)

Nope, never has been sadly. Big missed opportunity when there are calls for franchising to make ticketing easier and cheaper and yet you have a ticket which makes things easier but make the ticket hard to get.

There is no paper equivalent in London which is the ‘holy grail’ and the momentum from all transport is towards digital ticketing.

Investing in paper products is obsolete and will fully expect it to dwindle in the next 12/24 months

markymark2000

On Moderation
There is no paper equivalent in London which is the ‘holy grail’ and the momentum from all transport is towards digital ticketing.

Investing in paper products is obsolete and will fully expect it to dwindle in the next 12/24 months
Hardly much investing. They have the machine, they have the ink, they have the paper. The cost would be literally setting up the ticket onto the machine, the same as they would do all other times. For these big operators, the cost to set up paper would probably be about an hour of someone's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.