• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow unit help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
After receiving some useful pointers for my upcoming Welsh trip (thanks to all who chipped in with info) - I thought I'd try my luck with Glasgow as well. I've got a day trip this week and I need pretty much everything in the area, so trying to maximise my time as best I can. Also trying to avoid 380's and 334's as I've got longer to get these than the older stuff.

So my queries are, are routes/services allocated certain stock or do the 314/318/320 EMU's work as a common fleet?

I know some services are double sets, where would I be most likely to find these?

Also, on the theme of maximising returns, I know some peak services run as 3x 156, any advice on where to find these would also be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
314s are mostly Cathcart Circle (including Newton & Neilston) and Pailsey Canal services. There are some booked Inverclyde workings as well.
318/320s are found on the Argyle line and some North Clyde line services (Edinburgh - Helensburgh are booked 334)

alexf380

Established Member
The 314s are generally worked as a separate fleet to the 318s and 320s. There are 14 diagrams each day, two of which only come out to play at peak times, the 17:18 ish Glasgow to Neilston springs to mind. I believe there's three or four work Inverclyde line services along with the 380s, 2 on Paisley Canal, with the rest on the Cathcart Circle and branches.

318s and 320s are worked as a common fleet and show up on Airdrie - Balloch (normally 6 cars) Glasgow - Lanark, and Milngavie/Dalmuir/Dumbarton - Whifflet/Larkhall/Cumbernauld.

The 6 car 156s work some peak time East Kilbride trains. I'm not sure if these all come from the depot or if they're lashed together from other services throughout the day. The general rotation for EK services outside the peaks is a unit will work to East Kilbride, back to Glasgow, then work to Kilmarnock/Carlisle/South West. The same happens in return, with arrivals from Kilmarnock/Carlisle/South West working the next East Kilbride service. Two units are also on the Barrhead stoppers all day. As for the north Glasgow diesel services (Anniesland, Falkirk Grahamston, Stirling) I think they all interwork but I'm not sure.

That's about it, I guess.

ash39

Established Member
Thanks both. I've got a pretty rough plan for the day, including runs to Balloch and Helensburgh so I should definitely make inroads into the 318's and 320's.

I had a question mark over what to do between 1300-1500 so I think I'll now use that time to do some hops around the circle to get some 314's in.

I have to be in Giffnock in the early evening so there's a good chance I'll end up on a triple sprinter then, here's hoping.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The 314s are generally worked as a separate fleet to the 318s and 320s. There are 14 diagrams each day, two of which only come out to play at peak times, the 17:18 ish Glasgow to Neilston springs to mind. I believe there's three or four work Inverclyde line services along with the 380s, 2 on Paisley Canal, with the rest on the Cathcart Circle and branches.

318s and 320s are worked as a common fleet and show up on Airdrie - Balloch (normally 6 cars) Glasgow - Lanark, and Milngavie/Dalmuir/Dumbarton - Whifflet/Larkhall/Cumbernauld.

The 6 car 156s work some peak time East Kilbride trains. I'm not sure if these all come from the depot or if they're lashed together from other services throughout the day. The general rotation for EK services outside the peaks is a unit will work to East Kilbride, back to Glasgow, then work to Kilmarnock/Carlisle/South West. The same happens in return, with arrivals from Kilmarnock/Carlisle/South West working the next East Kilbride service. Two units are also on the Barrhead stoppers all day. As for the north Glasgow diesel services (Anniesland, Falkirk Grahamston, Stirling) I think they all interwork but I'm not sure.

That's about it, I guess.

156s are also employed on Glasgow Central to Edinburgh and West Highland and Oban services from Queen St.

Sirius

You could travel between Partick and Hyndland repeatedly getting 318s and 320s most of the time!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The 314s.......... There are 14 diagrams each day........ ...............2 on Paisley Canal.

Caution! When I was in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago the xx.12 each hour off Central was a 380; the other diagram was still a 314 however.

Peter0124

Established Member
You could travel between Partick and Hyndland repeatedly getting 318s and 320s most of the time!
And 334s, about 2 or 3 hours at partick and you'll be able to see all the diagrams for that single day, the Edinburgh trains take the longest however.

route101

Established Member
You will be able to get 6 car 156 to Giffnock but cant remember if its the fast train that omits most stops or theres 2 6 car 156s . 320s show up on Circle and Newton but not Neilston services , 380s rarely .
334s are almost always Via Queen St low level but there may still be a diagram through Central Low Level.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
You will be able to get 6 car 156 to Giffnock but cant remember if its the fast train that omits most stops or theres 2 6 car 156s . 320s show up on Circle and Newton but not Neilston services , 380s rarely .
334s are almost always Via Queen St low level but there may still be a diagram through Central Low Level.

334s still work through Low Level working Motherwell to Dalmuir services

Peter0124

Established Member
The 334 diagram through central low level monday to saturday:

2C08 0622 Hyndland to Motherwell
2S09 0722 Motherwell to Dalmuir
2L14 0850 Dalmuir to Larkhall
2L17 1003 Larkhall to Milngavie
2C28 1109 Milngavie to Motherwell
2S29 1223 Motherwell to Dalmuir
2L10 1348 Dalmuir to Larkhall
2L13 1503 Larkhall to Milngavie