• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GM Traincard

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
Having just moved to New Mills t'other half went to Central station on Friday to get her monthly ticket, and came back with a ticket between 'New Mills Central & GM Traincard.'

Having never seen this ticket type before I googled it, and it the TFGM website appears to suggest it can be used between New Mills Central and any station in the Greater Manchester rail network.

Questions leading from this:

1. Does the network include Metrolink?
2. Are there route restrictions, or could I hypothetically travel to say, Hazel Grove via Piccadilly using said ticket?
3. Anything I do need to note with this ticket type?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Having just moved to New Mills t'other half went to Central station on Friday to get her monthly ticket, and came back with a ticket between 'New Mills Central & GM Traincard.'

Having never seen this ticket type before I googled it, and it the TFGM website appears to suggest it can be used between New Mills Central and any station in the Greater Manchester rail network.

Questions leading from this:

1. Does the network include Metrolink?
2. Are there route restrictions, or could I hypothetically travel to say, Hazel Grove via Piccadilly using said ticket?
3. Anything I do need to note with this ticket type?

This ticket is valid on all Train Operating Companies within Greater Manchester.

On Metrolink it's only valid on the yellow central section on this map:
http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/Documents/PDFMaps/Greater-Manchester-Rail-Tickets-Area-Map.pdf

palmersears

Established Member
Thank you, Deerfold. So would it allow me to make a journey from, say, Piccadilly to Bolton, even though I'm going in totally the opposite direction to New Mills Central?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Thank you, Deerfold. So would it allow me to make a journey from, say, Piccadilly to Bolton, even though I'm going in totally the opposite direction to New Mills Central?

Yes, it's valid at all stations in Greater Manchester (and Disley and the two New Mills stations).

A weekly Traincard is 20p more than a season as far as Piccadilly.

palmersears

Established Member
Yes, it's valid at all stations in Greater Manchester (and Disley and the two New Mills stations).

A weekly Traincard is 20p more than a season as far as Piccadilly.

Interesting, so could I use it to go from Piccadilly to New Mills Newtown?

palmersears

Established Member
Smashing, that really opens up the options for commuting home, I can get the 1621 to Newtown instead of having to wait for the 1649 to Central.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Remember that it is of course valid at weekends too, meaning leisure travel within Greater Manchester will be free.

palmersears

Established Member
I tweeted Northern before creating this thread, and they've just come back to state the ticket would only be valid as far as Middlewood, not Newtown. This is contradictory to Deerfold's advice above, and thus I'm now confused again.

palmersears

Established Member
They don't know what they're talking about

There's an authoritative map on TfGM's site here showing you where you can go

They linked me that map when stating I couldn't use it to Newtown :D

I've pointed out the dashed area stating 'Traincards can be used at these stations' so we will see what they come up with next.

@northernassist
@palmersears Ah, looking at the ticket it must be included also then Steven.

Yeah, they have no idea.

Last edited:

scrapy

Established Member
You will not have a problem using it to New Mills. Northern's guards and even STM revenue staff know it's validity even if their twitter team haven't got a clue.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Please remember that the Social Media team are not ticket trained (though they should be able to read maps).

Status
Not open for further replies.