• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GMPTE Accompanied Child Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonfun

Established Member
Hi all,

I've been thinking about the above ticket recently; for those who are unfamiliar with it, it's basically a fare for under-16s between any two stations in the GMPTE area, 50p for a single, £1 for return.

Whilst being labeled as an Accompanied Child fare in the destination (GMPTE ACMP CHILD for those who would like to look it up), the bit on the ticket telling you about the amount of passengers will show one adult. This got me thinking as to why this was, and, going by Avantix Traveller, there are fares in the system for a child, at half the fare (ie 25p single, 50p return).

Now, the question time:

I find this odd; surely as an "accompanied child" ticket, it should therefore be counted as an under-16 fare? If so, why are the current fares (50p and £1) in the system as adult? Therefore, is there anything stopping me (local restrictions, for example) purchasing an under-16 GMPTE ACMP Child fare at half the price, given they are in the system and I, being under 16, would be otherwise entitled to use them?

I'd be grateful if someone with a knowledge of the workings of this ticket would be able to answer my queries.

Ta

Jon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
Hi all,

I've been thinking about the above ticket recently; for those who are unfamiliar with it, it's basically a fare for under-16s between any two stations in the GMPTE area, 50p for a single, £1 for return.

Whilst being labeled as an Accompanied Child fare in the destination (GMPTE ACMP CHILD for those who would like to look it up), the bit on the ticket telling you about the amount of passengers will show one adult. This got me thinking as to why this was, and, going by Avantix Traveller, there are fares in the system for a child, at half the fare (ie 25p single, 50p return).

Now, the question time:

I find this odd; surely as an "accompanied child" ticket, it should therefore be counted as an under-16 fare? If so, why are the current fares (50p and £1) in the system as adult? Therefore, is there anything stopping me (local restrictions, for example) purchasing an under-16 GMPTE ACMP Child fare at half the price, given they are in the system and I, being under 16, would be otherwise entitled to use them?

I'd be grateful if someone with a knowledge of the workings of this ticket would be able to answer my queries.

Ta

Jon

The conditions attatched to the GMPTE Flat Fare Accompanied Children tickets are as follows:

Flat Fares for Accompanied Children

(Valid 0930 onwards Monday to Fridays, all day Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays).

Accompanied children aged 5 to 15 inclusive can travel for flat fares of 50p single and £1.00 return each. Up to four children can accompany one adult. There is no restriction as to the type of ticket held by the adult. Accompanied child tickets can be issued with adults holding Railcard discounted tickets, but not GM Rail Ranger, Daysaver tickets or GMPTE Free Passes for Disabled or Elderly. Normal child fares apply with these tickets.

Note: Children aged 13–15 inclusive must produce a valid Greater Manchester under-16 card at time of purchase.

To purchase a ticket at 50p you need to be a child aged between 5 and 15 regardless of what or what isn't printed on the ticket. You also need to purchase these with an adult ticket or have an adult with you who already holds a valid ticket.

Last edited:

Jonfun

Established Member
Thanks for that glynn.
However my questions still stand - why are the fares used for accompanied children down in the system as Adult fares? There are under-16 fares in place on the system for that ticket; the restrictions you state don't explicitly say anything about the use of these under-16 (i.e Child) "GMPTE ACMP Child" fares, which one could argue that as I am under 16 I should be able to use, unless of course a local restriction was in force.

Ta

Jon

scrapy

Established Member
It is technically an adult ticket as the ticket is held by the adult (purchaser) for the child which accompanies them.. Whilst it is possible to do a child discount on the advantix we are instructed to disregard this, and it was supposed to be removed from the machines.

Since last Fridays fare increase it is now possible to do a child rate cheap evening return in the machine, even though again the fares manual states no child discounts on that ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.