• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go-Ahead Win Dublin Bus Tender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Reports in the papers suggest that Dublin Bus actually put in a cheaper bid but it has been awarded to Go-Ahead on better "technical" scores.

There is more than a hint of this being engineered to achieve a preferred outcome.

As always with Irish politics the actual truth is hard to know because the government departments and state quangos cover everything in a vale of secrecy. By the time any real truth is made public it is far too late to do anything about it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hornet

Reports in the papers suggest that Dublin Bus actually put in a cheaper bid but it has been awarded to Go-Ahead on better "technical" scores.

There is more than a hint of this being engineered to achieve a preferred outcome.

As always with Irish politics the actual truth is hard to know because the government departments and state quangos cover everything in a vale of secrecy. By the time any real truth is made public it is far too late to do anything about it.

Following some of the comments on Boards.ie. Some of the 'Technical' points allude to failure to pick up/drop off passengers at stops (been there, done that, got the T-shirt). Centre doors not being opened. despite being an NTA requirement. (Centre door opening are as rare as rocking horse dodo). Other NTA requirements not followed by Dublin Bus:-

Specification of the service that Dublin Bus should deliver. Sections 13 and 14 showing where they are falling down.

13.1.2 (No Passengers charter on the Dublin Bus Website)
13.1.4 (No information provided on EC Regulation 181/2011)
13.1.5 (Non provision of details on how to escalate queries to the NTA)
14.2.1 (Non Intergration of National Journey Planner)
14.2.2 (Many contracted features not being supplied here)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104344044&postcount=379
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104345972&postcount=411

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Centre doors are being used far more regularly than before in my experience.

On my local route I've been seen them being used at all stops quite regularly so things are slowly changing.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Following some of the comments on Boards.ie. Some of the 'Technical' points allude to failure to pick up/drop off passengers at stops (been there, done that, got the T-shirt). Centre doors not being opened. despite being an NTA requirement. (Centre door opening are as rare as rocking horse dodo). Other NTA requirements not followed by Dublin Bus:-

I'm not sure that is what the linked posts are saying - I think what they are pointing out is some of those things appear to be areas where Dublin Bus appear not to be complying with their contract, rather than saying they were specifically where they lost out in the tender.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
A Fine Gael government using a dodgy tendering process to line the pockets of big business at the expense of taxpayers and workers.

Say it ain't so, that's just totally not like them.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Given the serious nature of what you are alluding to can you provide some quotes and/or supporting evidence?

317 forever

Established Member
I am unsure whether the vehicles will be provided by the NTA or by Go-Ahead themselves.

From an article I remember in Buses magazine, I reckon the vehicles will be in a new NTA livery which is due to be applied to Dublin Bus too in due course.

berneyarms

Established Member
I am unsure whether the vehicles will be provided by the NTA or by Go-Ahead themselves.

From an article I remember in Buses magazine, I reckon the vehicles will be in a new NTA livery which is due to be applied to Dublin Bus too in due course.

The NTA will fund the buses as they have done for some time now.

All PSO funded buses will be rebranded into an NTA livery - the livery itself has yet to be decided upon.

Hornet

Procurement Tender for certain NTA PSV's.

The National Transport Authority (NTA) is seeking to enter into a single supplier framework agreement for the supply of midi buses, being short single deck bus vehicles.
While the NTA intends to acquire midi buses from the successful tenderer who is awarded the Framework Agreement, it intends to provide those vehicles to the operators of subvented public transport services, known as Public Service Obligation services, to operate in the performance of those services. Those operators include Bus Átha Cliath (Dublin Bus), Bus Eireann and the successful tenderer (or tenderers) in a number of on-going tender competitions for the operation of certain PSO Services. As part of the provision of bus vehicles to the Contracting Authority, the Supplier will be required to enter into collateral agreements with the nominated operator in relation to vehicle warranties and other matters.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/190410

Certain DB routes could well go from double to single deckers.

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
https://www.go-ahead.com/en/media/news/2018/go-ahead-awarded-dublin-commuter-routes.html

Go-Ahead awarded Dublin Commuter Routes
The Go-Ahead Group, one of the UK’s leading public transport operators, is pleased to have been announced as the preferred bidder for a commuter bus tender in Dublin by Ireland’s National Transport Authority (NTA), building on the company’s commitment to bring improvements and investments to the capital’s public transport services.

The contract links Dublin to major commuter towns in Offaly, Laois, Kildare and Meath, and will bring the total number of routes operated by Go-Ahead in the Irish capital to 30. It is the second contract won by Go-Ahead in less than a year, as the NTA opens the Public Service Obligation (PSO) bus services in Ireland to the private sector for the first time.

Go-Ahead Chief Executive, David Brown, said:

“Winning a second Ireland contract within a year is a significant achievement for Go-Ahead, and we look forward to building on our partnership with the NTA to deliver investment in Ireland’s passenger transport infrastructure.

“We understand the importance of buses to these commuter towns and we will strive to deliver the best possible service to the customers, to make sure that every journey is taken care of.

“This is a further step in line with our strategy of expanding the Go-Ahead model internationally, building on our presence in Germany and Singapore.”

The bus contract will run for five years from early 2019, when Go-ahead will take over from Bus Eireann, with a possible two-year extension.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Go-Ahead are exceptionally well placed now for any possible future tenders in Ireland.

Until a couple of years or so ago First were better placed than anyone else, but their financial position has been taken advantage of by Go-Ahead who will now be the largest private in the state by some distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.