• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SimH

Zennor-Land's End from Plymouth Citybus is on Traveline. I expect TfC will catch up in the end.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Zennor-Land's End from Plymouth Citybus is on Traveline. I expect TfC will catch up in the end.
Is there any point in it given the A3?

A lot of the timetables on the TfC site are very different to what's on Traveline.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So we have an answer to the Mousehole problem. They're simply not going to serve the harbour and turn at the Coastguard's instead.

Fortunately they're only running a handful of journeys which are largely duplicating FK's M6 anyway.

TfC have pulled the Sunday service on the U4, leaving FK to run just every two hours, a 50% cut from current service levels.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Is there any point in it given the A3?

A lot of the timetables on the TfC site are very different to what's on Traveline.

So we have an answer to the Mousehole problem. They're simply not going to serve the harbour and turn at the Coastguard's instead.

Fortunately they're only running a handful of journeys which are largely duplicating FK's M6 anyway.

TfC have pulled the Sunday service on the U4, leaving FK to run just every two hours, a 50% cut from current service levels.

I thought the U4 was two hourly currently?

The M6 seems like a rather odd decision to allow

Goldfish62

Established Member
I thought the U4 was two hourly currently?

The M6 seems like a rather odd decision to allow
Doh! You're right re the U4!

Looking more closely at the M6, which I should have done in the first place, the weekday journeys are serving the Penzance schools and it's sensible separating these from the normal service as the buses get rammed. On Saturday morning the journeys they're providing don't currently exist anyway.

It's beyond me why GCB have been awarded journeys on this route when they can't provide a pretty basic ingredient, ie the right size bus!

richw

Veteran Member
Just looking through the routes, the only other absence is a A5/56 route. No st mawgan and no pre 9am journeys from First

MB162435

Established Member

Praa Sands loose out tho with TfC pulling their U4 Sunday service, as their service was meant to go into Praa Sands itself with Kernow keeping to the main road, but expect they are use to it by now

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Doh! You're right re the U4!

Looking more closely at the M6, which I should have done in the first place, the weekday journeys are serving the Penzance schools and it's sensible separating these from the normal service as the buses get rammed. On Saturday morning the journeys they're providing don't currently exist anyway.

It's beyond me why GCB have been awarded journeys on this route when they can't provide a pretty basic ingredient, ie the right size bus!
It won't go unnoticed or unreported that the GCB buses won't be serving the harbour. Penzance, Newlyn and Mousehole are very popular subjects in the national press, not only because an expenses-paid trip is welcomed by journalists but also the fact that some of the better-paid among them have homes down here. Even twenty odd years ago the then Travel Editor of the Telegraph was a regular participant in the Union Hotel, Penzance, pub quiz team of which I was a member too. Someone will make a big issue of it in a weekend paper, mark my words!

Goldfish62

Established Member
It won't go unnoticed or unreported that the GCB buses won't be serving the harbour. Penzance, Newlyn and Mousehole are very popular subjects in the national press, not only because an expenses-paid trip is welcomed by journalists but also the fact that some of the better-paid among them have homes down here. Even twenty odd years ago the then Travel Editor of the Telegraph was a regular participant in the Union Hotel, Penzance, pub quiz team of which I was a member too. Someone will make a big issue of it in a weekend paper, mark my words!
You're absolutely right there. The vast majority of passengers board at the harbour, many of whom are elderly and unable to walk up the steep hill to the next level stop.

The timetable states Old Coastguard Hotel. However these journeys will in reality be unable to save this pair of stops as buses need to turn before the stops.

richw

Veteran Member
they are running the 93 hourly from 06** to 23**.

Sunday sees a 27a st austell to Truro via st Stephen.
Sunday 21 is st austell to Charlestown via duporth two coves, indicating use of small buses on Sundays, two coves is very tight in a Kernow e200mmc.

Andyh82

Established Member
I’m surprised any of the hourly services between Truro & Newquay are tendered in the first place, don’t Kernow use E400MMCs on all of them now?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
You're absolutely right there. The vast majority of passengers board at the harbour, many of whom are elderly and unable to walk up the steep hill to the next level stop.

The timetable states Old Coastguard Hotel. However these journeys will in reality be unable to save this pair of stops as buses need to turn before the stops.
One wonders how many older people will be catching a bus before 0800 on a Saturday morning though? Or any people?

Goldfish62

Established Member
One wonders how many older people will be catching a bus before 0800 on a Saturday morning though? Or any people?
Not really the point though. CC have awarded the contract to an operator that is unable to provide buses of the size required to run the entire length of the route.

carlberry

Established Member
Not really the point though. CC have awarded the contract to an operator that is unable to provide buses of the size required to run the entire length of the route.
Do we know this is the case, or has the CC specified a contract that dosent require the service to run to the harbour?

83G/84D

Established Member
I looked at the website for the first time today to browse the timetables. I saw mention of the app and tried to find it on the App store to no avail.

Anyone having similar problems or able to advise me on this please?

MB162435

Established Member
I looked at the website for the first time today to browse the timetables. I saw mention of the app and tried to find it on the App store to no avail.

Anyone having similar problems or able to advise me on this please?
Don't worry I am too, and I'm meant to be part of the 'computer generation', tried it various times, with the words in different order and nothing

Hopefully it will appear ASAP, as expect we're not the only ones looking for it

83G/84D

Established Member
Don't worry I am too, and I'm meant to be part of the 'computer generation', tried it various times, with the words in different order and nothing

Hopefully it will appear ASAP, as expect we're not the only ones looking for it

Not just me having issues then! Thanks for replying.

MB162435

Established Member
Not just me having issues then! Thanks for replying.
No worries, I've been looking since the website went up, would like to get use to the app before I use it and see how it compares to First, although unlike the website maybe they are getting the app right before it is released

TitanMike

I’m surprised any of the hourly services between Truro & Newquay are tendered in the first place, don’t Kernow use E400MMCs on all of them now?

Yes i didnt realise that the 85 is a CC route. Are the E400 MMC owned by First or will they be transferring to Go Ahead if they are funded by CC.

MB162435

Established Member
Yes i didnt realise that the 85 is a CC route. Are the E400 MMC owned by First or will they be transferring to Go Ahead if they are funded by CC.
The E400 MMC’s are owned by First, so will be staying with them on the commercial routes, only the 16 E200 MMCs are transferring

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
£9 daily ticket steep if you have to pay for Kernow too. Hardly the one fare, one company, one timetable promised by cornwall cc. Utterly ludicrous that passengers are increasingly likely to have to travel to and from work or college on different operators now in each direction.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but that £9 day ticket is the same fare as a Zone 4 Plymouth Citybus ticket, which has validity into Cornwall already (Looe, Liskeard, Launceston). Could those two £9 tickets actually be the same, which would be helpful for many journeys (e.g. Wadebridge to Plymouth then on a PCB bus to Derriford Hospital)?

I should point out that the weekly tickets are different prices (£32 for Plymouth, £27 for Cornwall), so my theory isn't that likely.

richw

Veteran Member
The diversion via st columb major isn’t viable alone. The main flow is the fast route (91). As with several tendered routes, they are commercially viable without diverting round certain villages.
The council specify if they want double deckers used on routes.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Do we know this is the case, or has the CC specified a contract that dosent require the service to run to the harbour?

Exactly. We don't know but it wouldn't be a shock to see that the tender specified it rather the PCB electing to operate it short. These are additional journeys to present so no one is worse off and it means that Newlyn etc do get additional journeys. However, it is rather odd not to serve the whole route and a bit surprised that they can't find any small vehicle to operate it (assuming that routes like the 5, 7, 8, 11, or 16 will have some form of minibus). Perhaps they're more bothered about serving Newlyn and that's the best place to turn a vehicle around???

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Does no-one else on here feel that it'd be best that the Brave New World got postponed in view of.... well, everything really? We'll get over the Coronavirus (eventually) but if this major exercise gets tarnished, as I see as inevitable, before the starting pistol has sounded I can't see it recovering to the point where it'll be regarded as anything other than an embarassment to the major players and, far more important in my view, an inconvenience to existing passengers. I know you can say ''it's too late to stop it'' and it will be difficult to do so in some regards, but as we're now being prepared for a virtual 'war footing' then the difficulties are trifling compared to what the transport authorities had to deal with in WW2. Pride and saving face are the main drawbacks, especially with the political element.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Exactly. We don't know but it wouldn't be a shock to see that the tender specified it rather the PCB electing to operate it short. These are additional journeys to present so no one is worse off and it means that Newlyn etc do get additional journeys. However, it is rather odd not to serve the whole route and a bit surprised that they can't find any small vehicle to operate it (assuming that routes like the 5, 7, 8, 11, or 16 will have some form of minibus). Perhaps they're more bothered about serving Newlyn and that's the best place to turn a vehicle around???
The 5, 7, 16 and 16A can all easily take E200s. The 5 sometimes has a Trident on it! I don't know about the 8 and the 11 was merged into the 11 a while back.

Nowhere to turn at Newlyn.