• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Goldfish62

Established Member
Does no-one else on here feel that it'd be best that the Brave New World got postponed in view of.... well, everything really? We'll get over the Coronavirus (eventually) but if this major exercise gets tarnished, as I see as inevitable, before the starting pistol has sounded I can't see it recovering to the point where it'll be regarded as anything other than an embarassment to the major players and, far more important in my view, an inconvenience to existing passengers. I know you can say ''it's too late to stop it'' and it will be difficult to do so in some regards, but as we're now being prepared for a virtual 'war footing' then the difficulties are trifling compared to what the transport authorities had to deal with in WW2. Pride and saving face are the main drawbacks, especially with the political element.
The timing certainly couldn't be any worse. However, as PCB have the buses and have recruited staff I don't see how it would be possible to just continue with existing arrangements.

However, at the very least I'd expect seasonal enhancements to be deferred and Saturday or even Sunday services introduced on weekdays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Does no-one else on here feel that it'd be best that the Brave New World got postponed in view of.... well, everything really? We'll get over the Coronavirus (eventually) but if this major exercise gets tarnished, as I see as inevitable, before the starting pistol has sounded I can't see it recovering to the point where it'll be regarded as anything other than an embarassment to the major players and, far more important in my view, an inconvenience to existing passengers. I know you can say ''it's too late to stop it'' and it will be difficult to do so in some regards, but as we're now being prepared for a virtual 'war footing' then the difficulties are trifling compared to what the transport authorities had to deal with in WW2. Pride and saving face are the main drawbacks, especially with the political element.
Who’s going to run it instead? First have changed commitments so who is to say they still have the resource to run their lost tenders?

embers25

Established Member
Who’s going to run it instead? First have changed commitments so who is to say they still have the resource to run their lost tenders?
I doubt they have the desire either as why should First bail out the council who chose to give the tendered work to another operator. Someone needs to hold the council accountable for this huge waste of public money running stupid new services. They set themselves objectives that they have no hope in hell of ever achieving and they should be forced to own up to the fact they misled everyone. This highlights perfectly how terrible an idea it is for the government to fund improvements this way. Its clear the government have no clue on buses as this debarcle and Buses for Sheffield clearly shows.

carlberry

Established Member
The reality is the current situation is perfect in many ways. Ther was always going to be a bit of a disruption, now there's an expectation that everything in life will be disrupted and any problems can be blamed on the Coronavirus situation. Numbers of bus users are already down and predicted to dip even more so uncovered journeys are not going to be the issue they would have been and, on services that don't exist now, they can just pre-announce that they're cancelled until the outbreak is over to help with the national situation.
Companies (in other parts of the country) are already reducing services at short notice and, I suspect, the same will happen in Devon and Cornwall.
A good PR company would be able to sell the whole thing (after the event) as a complete success as Cornwall battled the virus as well as improving it's bus services. If they haven't got one I might offer my services as I should be able to produce a page or two of copied corporate BS!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The 5, 7, 16 and 16A can all easily take E200s. The 5 sometimes has a Trident on it! I don't know about the 8 and the 11 was merged into the 11 a while back.

Nowhere to turn at Newlyn.
I realise that the 5 can take deckers - seen a W-DWX B7 on there before and short Darts 425** on the 16. However, was wondering what was supposed to be operating it in this new world.

Again, if CC had requested it to serve the harbour, then I expect PCB would’ve had a bus able to do so. I couldn’t recall a place to turn round Newlyn so thanks for confirmation.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
A good PR company would be able to sell the whole thing (after the event) as a complete success as Cornwall battled the virus as well as improving it's bus services. If they haven't got one I might offer my services as I should be able to produce a page or two of copied corporate BS!

A fair smattering of appropriate verbiage should suffice - “challenging, bold, prudent, visionary, connectivity, holistic” - a few to be getting on with there!!!

Lizard1324

I realise that the 5 can take deckers - seen a W-DWX B7 on there before and short Darts 425** on the 16. However, was wondering what was supposed to be operating it in this new world.

Again, if CC had requested it to serve the harbour, then I expect PCB would’ve had a bus able to do so. I couldn’t recall a place to turn round Newlyn so thanks for confirmation.
The route 5 has a double decker on it at 3pm as this is the bus used after the 251 college run and used to go to newlyn before returning on the 251 to the lizard

Goldfish62

Established Member

Undoubtedly some of the around 100 E200MMCs.

The timetable for the M6 on Traveline had a timing point at the harbour. I can't see the council not tendering it on this basis. My hunch is that now the GCB M6 is much reduced in the light of the FK commercial registration they have persuaded CC that it's not worth getting a couple of small buses just for two round trips.

carlberry

Established Member
A fair smattering of appropriate verbiage should suffice - “challenging, bold, prudent, visionary, connectivity, holistic” - a few to be getting on with there!!!
Now you've gone and done it for free! Stakeholders and common purpose is also good to try and appear as if you're not claiming all the glory!

Eyersey468

Established Member
There's about 6 President/B7TLs transferring to Cornwall from East Yorkshire.

RELL6L

Good to see timetables on the Transport for Cornwall website, but there are some inconsistencies and oddities between here and Traveline:
Traveline is missing the 89, 90 and 93 which appear on here. We have kindly been assured that the 93 is coming and the 90 was foreshadowed, but the 89, an hourly service from Bodmin to Truro via Indian Queens is quite a surprise. Let's hope its a success.
The Travel for Cornwall website is missing the 7, 39, 39A and 56 which are on Traveline. Could this mean the 56 is being rethought?
The Bude 219 is also missing while the 216/7/8 has the direction outbound from Bude twice, missing the inbound altogether.
The Travel for Cornwall timetable for the 11/11A, the link for which took you originally to an advert, is now there. On Mon-Sat it is OK although it could be a bit clearer which buses run through - although they have tried and there is a note, but the evening is confused. On Sundays it is useless though, it only shows the Eastbound service and in two blocks, first Bodmin to Plymouth and then Padstow to Bodmin!
And some of the times are still crazy, with the duplicating 47s and the 25 with its 30 minutes layover at Fowey!
I haven't looked at them all, no doubt there are others.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

It's difficult to turn a Renault Clio in Newlyn, as I should know! Why I've always refused to consider living in Newlyn, even when my wife was heavily involved with Newlyn Art Gallery.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The timing certainly couldn't be any worse. However, as PCB have the buses and have recruited staff I don't see how it would be possible to just continue with existing arrangements.

However, at the very least I'd expect seasonal enhancements to be deferred and Saturday or even Sunday services introduced on weekdays.
Have PCB managed to recruit the staff? I was only going by what's been said on here about lack of transfer from First and advertising for bus drivers in N.E. England etc. Mind you, if there are bar and restaurant staff with PCV licences :lol:

Transport for Greater Manchester have announced Sunday bus services seven days a week from next week, and Transport for London Saturday or Sunday services, which tend not to be very different from each other on most of their routes. All-week Sunday services in Cornwall would, of course, see the virtual disappearance of First. Interesting times, but methinks we could sometimes do with less interest and more certainties.

P.S. Delete the TfGM bit - they apparently were misinformed. Stagecoach there are introducing a 'special service' which will mix Saturday and Sunday frequencies and timings according to route.

Last edited:

MB162435

Established Member
Have PCB managed to recruit the staff? I was only going by what's been said on here about lack of transfer from First and advertising for bus drivers in N.E. England etc. Mind you, if there are bar and restaurant staff with PCV licences :lol:

Transport for Greater Manchester have announced Sunday bus services seven days a week from next week, and Transport for London Saturday or Sunday services, which tend not to be very different from each other on most of their routes. All-week Sunday services in Cornwall would, of course, see the virtual disappearance of First. Interesting times, but methinks we could sometimes do with less interest and more certainties.

P.S. Delete the TfGM bit - they apparently were misinformed. Stagecoach there are introducing a 'special service' which will mix Saturday and Sunday frequencies and timings according to route.
TfC would also be badly hit and largely disappear from many parts of the county before they have even started, such as Falmouth and be reduced pretty much all over

Did read on Facebook they have around 200 drivers, mix of agency, other Go ahead companies drivers on loan and Sub contractor drivers and external recruited, think the Coronovirus is their main concern now

You never know many people might consider a career on the buses like Thomas Cook staff did on the railways, as TfC will need more pernament staff still

No I am of the view both from the FK and GCB point are already advanced. Some bus allocations are in place already and induction of drivers to gcb done. If it is a slow start it won't be a bad thing as any teething issues can be ironed out. But it maybe a problem for FK since the climate may badly affect viability of the commercial services.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
TfC would also be badly hit and largely disappear from many parts of the county before they have even started, such as Falmouth and be reduced pretty much all over

Did read on Facebook they have around 200 drivers, mix of agency, other Go ahead companies drivers on loan and Sub contractor drivers and external recruited, think the Coronovirus is their main concern now

You never know many people might consider a career on the buses like Thomas Cook staff did on the railways, as TfC will need more pernament staff still
Indeed but those were Thomas Cook staff (aircrew) becoming traincrew not becoming train drivers.

Living away from home at this time might not be so attractive for some drivers.

MB162435

Established Member
Indeed but those were Thomas Cook staff (aircrew) becoming traincrew not becoming train drivers.

Living away from home at this time might not be so attractive for some drivers.
True, but the path to becoming a bus driver is more direct and accessible to many more people then a train driver, in that situation if an employer is offering you well paid jobs, you're gonna be interested

Everyone is insecure and concerned at the moment, no matter what the job, but to some paying the bills is more important then staying at home just in case

MotCO

Established Member
Where is the Go Cornwall web site and timetables - a search on Google only brings up First Bus? Not good if prospective customers can't easily find it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
True, but the path to becoming a bus driver is more direct and accessible to many more people then a train driver, in that situation if an employer is offering you well paid jobs, you're gonna be interested

Everyone is insecure and concerned at the moment, no matter what the job, but to some paying the bills is more important then staying at home just in case
Think you missed my point. Transferring is not as straight forward as becoming train crew. Not least having a driving license and then getting a PCV pass.

Does it have any mention about college passes accepted on their services when a first kernow isnt provided anymore
I think you have to remember that the acceptance on First Kernow was a concession agreed by First on a commercial basis which is in my opinion generous to a fault. I believe a similar concession is the case from pcb for Callywith campus buses although of course to date this has been of limited value. But it has I understand at times led to overcrowded buses on the 27 with Truro college students leaving early and getting the 27 rather than the college contracts. So inter availability of tickets issued for college students is probably not a feature of the commercial arrangement and unless the tickets were issued via Cornwall Council would not be the case. That said it would be sensible for future for such inter availability to be advanced, it does however depend on operator willingness to cooperate and initially it will depend on the survival of operators, which is a big ask in this current climate. The stock market possibly gives a clue as to the view of the city as yo the survival rate of the operators in this sector

MB162435

Established Member
Think you missed my point. Transferring is not as straight forward as becoming train crew. Not least having a driving license and then getting a PCV pass.
But if a company is offering positions and training then you are going to consider it, no matter what the job is, GWR offered Thomas Cook staff the jobs as they knew the skills they had to offer

As attractive as it is, not everyone want to become train drivers, as more positions require you to be already qualified but not as much with bus driver positions

If might not necessarily be transferring but just a change in career, especially as retail isn't a safe industry to be in now

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It's highly likely imo that many, if not all, secondary schools and colleges in Cornwall will not re-open for ordinary classes after the Easter break, and even that may come earlier than currently scheduled. Exams are another matter, but we shall see. If this proves the case, that's a hell of a lot of unwanted resources, unless decisions are made to run 'ghost buses' for bureaucratic or other reasons. It's nobody's fault we're in this position, but sticking heads in the sand and hoping it all goes away is all too redolent of the complacency the government has shown, and is still showing in some areas, Johnson being no more competent than Trump and seeming just as ignorant and unprepared.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
But if a company is offering positions and training then you are going to consider it, no matter what the job is, GWR offered Thomas Cook staff the jobs as they knew the skills they had to offer

As attractive as it is, not everyone want to become train drivers, as more positions require you to be already qualified but not as much with bus driver positions

If might not necessarily be transferring but just a change in career, especially as retail isn't a safe industry to be in now

A career in retail wasn’t safe before Covid19!

Remember that bus operators have been crying out for drivers for some years and it’s equally as difficult in the freight world, hence why so many have been recruited from Eastern Europe.

If it were as simple to transfer as you suggest to become a bus driver, many more would have done so.

MB162435

Established Member
A career in retail wasn’t safe before Covid19!

Remember that bus operators have been crying out for drivers for some years and it’s equally as difficult in the freight world, hence why so many have been recruited from Eastern Europe.

If it were as simple to transfer as you suggest to become a bus driver, many more would have done so.
Certainly was, had to give up finding a job in retail after I left College

But I'm not saying everyone want to become bus drivers, with the amount of traffic these days doesn't take you long to want to pull your hair out when on the roads!

Certainly you need the right temperament to do it, have to be calm not angry

You don't have to or can even just transfer, if you're within First or another operator then maybe, but not from another industry, but these days a job is a job at the end of the day

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Certainly was, had to give up finding a job in retail after I left College

But I'm not saying everyone want to become bus drivers, with the amount of traffic these days doesn't take you long to want to pull your hair out when on the roads!

Certainly you need the right temperament to do it, have to be calm not angry

You don't have to or can even just transfer, if you're within First or another operator then maybe, but not from another industry, but these days a job is a job at the end of the day

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was a very straightforward move from being a cabin crew on a Thomas Cook plane to being a train crew member. Lots of readily transferable skills and the like. It's not too much of a leap. The barriers to entry are pretty low.

To become a bus driver, the barriers are higher. For a start, 25% of adults don't have a driving license. Then there all the other reasons such as working hours, possibly involving childcare. If it were simply about any job, you'd question why you'd work in hospitality for minimum wage, or in retail when it's so precarious? Why are people working nights in distribution centres for Amazon when bus companies are crying out for drivers at much higher wages?

Sorry if you think I'm being harsh. Really, I'm not but I just think you're oversimplifying it a bit.