• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

richw

Veteran Member
The first new TfC Strata has been delivered to Travel Cornwall, for use I presume on the Truro local services

its Stratas ex demonstrator, is with Summercourt travel
Here is a pic of it back in mid March before the TfC started!

Attachments

• E6CAC9CA-8110-4D5F-87E7-B5D6A48E88FE.jpeg
    E6CAC9CA-8110-4D5F-87E7-B5D6A48E88FE.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 88
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MB162435

Established Member
its Stratas ex demonstrator, is with Summercourt travel
Here is a pic of it back in mid March before the TfC started!
Ah it's the same one, forgot to read the licence plate, didn't take long to transform it then

MB162435

Established Member
I had to double take as I seen it only maybe a week or so ago in unpainted form
I bet, did it come with the red seats or was that part of the transformation?

Didn't expect anything to be delivered during the lockdown, other than the temporary stuff, looks like they have done a good job tho

MB162435

Established Member
That looks awesome. Looks better then the Enviros
Does look pretty decent, ideal for the elderly when they are eventually allowed out

OTS have some coming as well for the Falmouth routes, so all looks quite promising

Volvo142

How many seats in the accessible section and how many are up steps?

Are they similar to larger midis such as Solos and short E200s?

Goldfish62

Established Member
How many seats in the accessible section and how many are up steps?

Are they similar to larger midis such as Solos and short E200s?
The issue with these is the very low legal standing capacity, whereas you can effectively crush load a small Solo and remain within the legal capacity.

richw

Veteran Member
The issue with these is the very low legal standing capacity, whereas you can effectively crush load a small Solo and remain within the legal capacity.
There’s a small solo capacity. A small MMC total capacity is 75 seated/standing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    935.2 KB · Views: 50

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Strata can accommodate 26 whereas the short Solo can accommodate 32. Given the type of work they're going on, I doubt they'll be any need to crush load though :D
Indeed. I was pointing out the capacity issues as a pre-emptive strike before anyone says, "they'd be perfect for Mousehole". :D

Goldfish62

Established Member
Certainly not in the summer. However, it may well have been the solution for the tendered runs before FK registered them.
Not any time of year at the busiest times.

Agreed re early mornings, evenings and winter Sundays though.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The Strata can accommodate 26 whereas the short Solo can accommodate 32. Given the type of work they're going on, I doubt they'll be any need to crush load though :D
If the routes are right then the Strata is a very sensible option compared to the classic Solo.
Unfortunately minibuses as a whole have come into criticism in recent years as a result of them being put onto routes which simply aren't suited to minibuses (Little and Often in Ashford springs to mind).
Sam

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
If the routes are right then the Strata is a very sensible option compared to the classic Solo.
Unfortunately they come into criticism in recent years as a result of them being put onto routes which simply aren't suited to minibuses (Little and Often in Ashford springs to mind)
Sam
Yes, an economical vehicle with an attractive passenger environment. Certainly better than the straight MB Sprinter.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Unfortunately minibuses as a whole have come into criticism in recent years as a result of them being put onto routes which simply aren't suited to minibuses (Little and Often in Ashford springs to mind).
Sam
Yes, an economical vehicle with an attractive passenger environment. Certainly better than the straight MB Sprinter.

It is, as with any vehicle, a case of the right vehicle for the circumstances.

I travelled on one of the ex Ashford Sprinters that had been disposed of to the Welsh Valleys. It was a bit awkward for someone like me, who's pretty fit and not that tall.

The Strata is a different animal. It's much better designed and I'm surprised that one of the big 4 hasn't decided to take more of them - Arriva has a few but not many. For Cornwall (and a good few other places), it's a good choice.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The first new TfC Strata has been delivered to Travel Cornwall, for use I presume on Truro local services

Images posted on their Facebook page
I wonder if the destination displays will be used or whether it'll be usual Summercourt practice of route number in the windscreen (if you're lucky).

richw

Veteran Member
So when Cornwall council was promoting their new cheaper fares on the new provider is fake news. TfC is typically between 10-20% more expensive than First Kernow on routes I’ve enquires about.
£6.80 Columb major to Truro return
£6.80 Columb major to Newquay return
£9.00 Truro to Newquay return (the driver who told me that said he thinks it’s an error on the ticket machine, but imagined most drivers will be charging it)

MB162435

Established Member
I wonder if the destination displays will be used or whether it'll be usual Summercourt practice of route number in the windscreen (if you're lucky).
I would hope so to, no point refurbishing it only to keep using temporary paper route numbers

Especially when Hopley's and OTS present their vehicles quite smartly, and have got off to a good start with TfC. You don't want that one company that let's the team down, hopefully Travel Cornwall will take a leaf out of their team mates book

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So when Cornwall council was promoting their new cheaper fares on the new provider is fake news. TfC is typically between 10-20% more expensive than First Kernow on routes I’ve enquires about.
£6.80 Columb major to Truro return
£6.80 Columb major to Newquay return
£9.00 Truro to Newquay return (the driver who told me that said he thinks it’s an error on the ticket machine, but imagined most drivers will be charging it)

Now come on.... We appreciate that you work for FK and indeed, appreciate the insight that you provide in that respect. Also, we all know that there are a number of fundamental flaws in the council award whether that's bizarre new services with no rhyme and reason, introducing new new routes in the midst of the pandemic, etc.

However, the press release https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council...nd-greener-buses-in-cornwall-from-april-2020/

said clearly that
“We’re also planning to introduce a 4 year pilot scheme to reduce fares to encourage more people to use buses. Last year, the government awarded Cornwall a £23.5m funding package for a “Reduced Bus Fares” pilot to support the Council’s ongoing commitment to improving bus travel for residents. We’re planning to introduce a scheme in May 2020 which will significantly reduce the cost of bus travel by establishing town zones and capping the cost for making multiple journeys within these zones. Ultimately, we want to deliver an integrated SMART ticketing system for bus, rail and ferry to make it as easy and convenient as possible for residents and visitors to use all forms of public transport.”

When you say things like this, or suggested that GCB were sending full length Eclipses to deepest Cornwall (they weren't), it detracts. Granted, at least it's more reasoned than one voice on the other side of the divide - the expert with two bus company failures behind him - but please, try to keep things objective.

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
That may be the council link, but in the local rags in black and white print it clearly said fares will be cheaper from day one.
secondly no such talks surrounding this fare pilot has happened with any operator.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
That may be the council link, but in the local rags in black and white print it clearly said fares will be cheaper from day one.
secondly no such talks surrounding this fare pilot has happened with any operator.

The local rags may well take out of context and the official press release did not say it. If it's fake news, it isn't from the council or the operators.

berneyarms

Established Member

Newspapers frequently pick up the wrong end of the stick, especially when it comes to public transport.

I would focus on what the Council and TfC say, rather than any newspaper.