• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go North East Industrial Action - Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
This thread is to discuss news and updates on the Unite industrial action currently taking place at Go North East and resultant service changes only.

Go North East have announced this afternoon that a very limited service is being reinstated tomorrow (14th November) on some routes. With a few exceptions, services will run Monday-Friday only between approximately 09:30 and 14:30.

www.gonortheast.co.uk/update-industrial-action
Update on industrial action: 13 November 2:00PM

Due to the ongoing industrial action, we are unfortunately unable to provide a normal service. We are running all school services, certain contracted services, and we are aiming to restore a skeleton service on as many routes as possible. These duties are being covered by office workers and managers with bus driving licences, as well as regular drivers who have opted to return to work to keep essential services moving. These services may be subject to delay due to reduced frequencies in operation - please be kind to our team who are providing them.

We apologise for the disruption during this time, and we remain committed to reaching a solution that will bring an end to the industrial action.

Following consultation with Nexus and Durham County Council; from Tuesday 14th November, we will begin to offer a skeleton service from around 9:30am to 2:30pm on the following routes:

Northumberland County Council has arranged with external companies to operate a limited service in the Hexham area.

All these services are in addition to all school bus journeys and certain contracted services which we were already operating. As and when we are able to provide more services, we will provide another update to customers.

Update 14th November.
The skeleton service has began. Most if not all of what’s running is being ran from Riverside depot which means a number of unusual vehicle allocations today. Perhaps the most surprising one is two Yutong E12s on the 29. Most of the other routes that are running are using deckers.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Leaving aside the utility of such a short service window, I’d be more curious about how they’re operating these services safely given that their engineering staff are on strike as well as the drivers.

DanNCL

Established Member
Leaving aside the utility of such a short service window, I’d be more curious about how they’re operating these services safely given that their engineering staff are on strike as well as the drivers.
They've got that many vehicles, most of which were presumably in working condition on 27th October, that one would have thought should a vehicle become unserviceable or unsafe it would simply be parked up and left until the engineers return from strike with one of the many other vehicles taking its place in service. That or there's enough engineering staff crossing the picket line for it not to be an issue.

Bristol LHS

Red X1 X-lines Streetdecks on the Prince Bishops 20 today, which I presume means that’s being operated from Washington.

spider

There are a fair few engineering staff still working.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding ( from drivers who work at GNE) is the company has folded on the changes to conditions part of the deal and Unite has recommended acceptance, result of ballot on Friday and if accepted normal service from Saturday.

Still a possibility it might not be accepted.

Mwanesh

These days you tend to find contractors doing some of the maintenance at most bus companies.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The pay deal has been accepted, but not by a very large margin.

An indefinite bus strike which caused widespread disruption across north-east England for more than a month will end after workers accepted a pay offer.
About 1,400 Go North East staff walked out in a dispute over pay on 28 October, hitting almost every service.
A total of 1,407 workers, which included drivers, office staff and engineers, voted and 749 accepted the offer, while 658 rejected the deal.
Bus services will return to normal from Saturday, the BBC understands.
On Tuesday, Unite recommended to its members that the offer was acceptable.
The two-year deal includes an 11.2% rise from January to July followed by an inflation-linked increase next year, subject to a minimum of 4%.

If the deal had been rejected, continuous action could have been extended until April.
The pay rise will result in an increase for the majority of salaries from £12.83 to £14.27 per hour from January to July.
Pay will go up to a minimum of 14.84 per hour from July next year.
It also includes a 10.5% pay rise backdated to July this year. No changes to existing conditions would be made.
A clear majority of office staff and engineers accepted the deal, but among drivers the vote was closer, with 616 accepting the offer and 609 rejecting it.
Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said workers "should be congratulated on their victory for better pay".

"They stood together in unity until their employer returned to negotiations and made an improved offer," she said.
Go North East is expected to comment shortly.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The pay deal has been accepted, but not by a very large margin.
Resolving the strike action is the easy bit. I’m really pleased it has been resolved and communities can get their buses back, but the hard work starts here.

As you say, it was a narrow margin. It’ll be interesting how (or, indeed, if) the company attempts to rebuild bridges with its staff. The winning margin with the drivers was just seven- 616 in favour, 609 against.

You’ve got 40-ish% of your workforce bounced into a pay deal they don’t really agree with, and you’ve got Stagecoach and Arriva nearby both crying out for staff.

Ben Maxfield has a lot of work to do. I remain sceptical he has it in him.

Personally I foresee Go going back to chronic staff shortages in about three months time- just enough time for drivers and engineers to bank their back pay and get a new job somewhere else.

harz99

Resolving the strike action is the easy bit. I’m really pleased it has been resolved and communities can get their buses back, but the hard work starts here.

As you say, it was a narrow margin. It’ll be interesting how (or, indeed, if) the company attempts to rebuild bridges with its staff. The winning margin with the drivers was just seven- 616 in favour, 609 against.

You’ve got 40-ish% of your workforce bounced into a pay deal they don’t really agree with, and you’ve got Stagecoach and Arriva nearby both crying out for staff.

Ben Maxfield has a lot of work to do. I remain sceptical he has it in him.

Personally I foresee Go going back to chronic staff shortages in about three months time- just enough time for drivers and engineers to bank their back pay and get a new job somewhere else.
As I understand it, the new rate will pay GNE staff more than either Stagecoach or Arriva pay theirs. Why would they jump ship to them?

DanNCL

Established Member
Most tickets, including the new multi-operator Transport North East tickets, will be ‘sold’ for free until the 8th December on Go North East buses.
We’re pleased to announce that our latest pay offer has been accepted and our buses will be back on the road from Saturday 2nd December.

To say ‘thank you’ for your patience, all single and day tickets* are FREE for everyone from Saturday 2nd – Friday 8th December.

Free single and day tickets will be available on board our buses. App discount codes are unavailable at this time.

We look forward to welcoming you back onboard.

*T&Cs

Go North East’s ‘This week’s on us’ free travel offer can be used on all Go North East services except the 327 (DFDS shuttle service).

The following tickets will be available free of charge: Adult Single, Adult Return, 5-25 1 Day, TNE 21 & Under 1 Day, TNE 21 & Under Single, TNE Day Saver, TNE 21 & Under 1 Day, Tyne & Wear Day Rover, Durham Day Rover, Northumberland Day Rover, 24-hour Ticket, All Zones Family 1 Day, City of Sunderland 1 Day, Gateshead Borough 1 Day, Newcastle & North Tyne 1 Day, South Tyneside 1 Day, Sunderland Central 1 Day, North Durham 1 Day, X10 1 Day, Nexus CAT, Nexus Child Single.

It’ll be interesting to see what passenger numbers are like for the free week, and to see how many of next week’s passengers continue to use the bus once they have to pay again.

40% of the unionised part of their workforce. Not all of the workforce is unionised. Still probably over 25% of the workforce unhappy with it but is it enough to cause major issues beyond what we were already used to pre-strikes, I don’t think it is.
GNE might not be a great employer but the other main operators in the region haven’t exactly been dispute free over the last few years either.

JD2168

It is very good news to hear of the end to this strike. It will be interesting to see whether the passengers come back to Go North East or if passengers will continue with the ways they have found whilst the strike was ongoing.

As mentioned elsewhere as it was such a close call on whether the deal was accepted or not it will be interesting to see how the morale among staff will be & if some drivers will move to other operators or other jobs elsewhere.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
As I understand it, the new rate will pay GNE staff more than either Stagecoach or Arriva pay theirs
No, Stagecoach pay more. £14.18 at Go with the offer. Stagecoach Newcastle will be £14.30 rising to £15.10 in June with their new pay deal. Stagecoach Sunderland is less, but still more than Go.

I can see a lot of Riverside drivers jumping over to Slatyford, I really can.
the other main operators in the region haven’t exactly been dispute free over the last few years either
I can’t recall any recent major industrial action at Stagecoach.

40% of the unionised part of their workforce. Not all of the workforce is unionised.
Most of the drivers are unionised, it’s a lack of drivers which cause service cancellations, and they were split pretty much 50/50. So I’ll stick with 40%.

I can see a lot of departures if 40% of Go drivers actively disagreed with the pay offer.
is it enough to cause major issues beyond what we were already used to pre-strikes
Talk about setting a low bar! The post-Covid Go service was abysmal.

Most tickets, including the new multi-operator Transport North East tickets, will be ‘sold’ for free until the 8th December on Go North East buses.
Interesting how much that’s going to cost a bus company that has “no money” for staff wage rises…

Last edited:

northern506

No, Stagecoach pay more. £14.18 at Go with the offer. Stagecoach Newcastle will be £14.30 rising to £15.10 in June with their new pay deal. Stagecoach Sunderland is less, but still more than Go.

Most of the drivers are unionised, it’s a lack of drivers which cause service cancellations, and they were split pretty much 50/50. So I’ll stick with 40%.

I can see a lot of departures if 40% of Go drivers actively disagreed with the pay offer.

Interesting how much that’s going to cost a bus company that has “no money” for staff wage rises…

Didn’t stagecoach Sunderland not go on strike not so long ago? Pretty sure it was last Christmas.

And Teesside a couple of years ago I think too.

Megafuss

The main thing GNE needs to do is get its customers back. This year will be a financial write-off anyway and they have nothing else to lose.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Well they were off to a great start this morning as the first 307 didn't operate.

Stagecoach to the rescue, as they always have been for the past month...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As the industrial action has been resolved, for now at least, it's inevitable that discussion will drift back towards more day-to-day matters. With that in mind, the previous thread has been reopened and you can find it here:

If anyone has any further comments to make about the settlement, please continue to add them here.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The main thing GNE needs to do is get its customers back. This year will be a financial write-off anyway and they have nothing else to lose.
I completely agree. But the cost of issuing multi-operator tickets for free will be a lot more significant than just issuing free singles and operator day tickets- the other operators in the scheme will still want their cut. It’ll also be interesting if it affects purchasing habits- I’d certainly choose to buy the multi-operator ticket on a Go bus, ride two stops, then go and do whatever I was going to do on the Metro.

Yes, it’s a one-off cost and all that, but it’s money they said they didn’t have when they refused to increase their offer in the first place.

I completely agree. But the cost of issuing multi-operator tickets for free will be a lot more significant than just issuing free singles and operator day tickets- the other operators in the scheme will still want their cut. It’ll also be interesting if it affects purchasing habits- I’d certainly choose to buy the multi-operator ticket on a Go bus, ride two stops, then go and do whatever I was going to do on the Metro.

Yes, it’s a one-off cost and all that, but it’s money they said they didn’t have when they refused to increase their offer in the first place.
There is nothing to stop you getting your free multi operator ticket then getting off the bus.

I don't know how the renumeration works but I assumed if you sold it you kept it, in normal times that would be simpler than working out what ticket was used on what companies bus.

If I were using the bus today I would get the best free ticket I could from GNE then using it where I want, Metro and ferry too.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I don't know how the renumeration works but I assumed if you sold it you kept it, in normal times that would be simpler than working out what ticket was used on what companies bus.
I thought it was you kept some and put some into the pot. It’ll no doubt have an impact on revenue for the other operators this week though, especially places like the Coast Road. I’m sure they’re thrilled.

Andyh82

Established Member
I thought it was you kept some and put some into the pot. It’ll no doubt have an impact on revenue for the other operators this week though, especially places like the Coast Road. I’m sure they’re thrilled.
Any reduction Arriva may see this week is surely more than made up by the fact they were taking 100% of the revenue on the Coast Road during the strike

harz99

@Tetchtyke so a difference of 12p an hour, a driver with say 50 paid hours, benefits by £6 gross or about £4.50 for the week after tax and NI are deducted.

You think thats worth it to jump ship and start again as a new entrant on probation at the bottom of the pile for holidays, sick pay, seniority etc., maybe worse conditions or routes to work as well?

I don't and i wouldn't do it for that amount.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
so a difference of 12p an hour, a driver with say 50 paid hours, benefits by £6 gross or about £4.50 for the week after tax and NI are deducted.

You think thats worth it to jump ship and start again as a new entrant on probation at the bottom of the pile for holidays, sick pay, seniority etc., maybe worse conditions or routes to work as well?
It’s more like 50p/hour difference between Riverside and Slatyford, which are less than two miles apart.

Stagecoach are desperate for staff. Experienced PSV drivers don’t start at the bottom, not any more, because of their value to the bus companies.

So yes, I can imagine a fair few will now be wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere. That’s always the effect of an industrial dispute that gets nasty.

Sunderland last year.
That was one that rumbled on with part-days here and there, at just one depot, but it got nowhere near the nastiness we’ve seen at Go.

harz99

@Tetchytyke, using the figures you quoted, £14.18 for GNE and £14.30 for Stagecoach, that is 12p difference an hour today!

You are correct in some respects regarding experienced PSV drivers being valued, so yes they will likely start at a higher rate of pay than a newly passed driver would, but they don't automatically become established staff without a probationary period, nor do they gain full holiday entitlements and sick pay entitlements over and above the legal minimum requirement and so on.

M803UYA

@Tetchtyke well using the figures you quoted £14.18 for GNE and £14.30 for SinN, that is 12p difference an hour today!

You are correct in some respects regarding experienced PSV drivers being valued, so yes they will likely start at a higher rate of pay than a newly passed driver would, but they don't automatically become established staff without a probationary period, nor do they gain full holiday entitlements and sick pay entitlements over and above the legal minimum requirement and so on.
Also fairly easy for drivers to find better paid work elsewhere which wouldn't involve driving buses. The cost of obtaining an LGV licence is around £3k, so if you hadn't quite saved up and a load of backpay landed in your bank account then you could put that into action and get the test sorted.

Mwanesh

Also fairly easy for drivers to find better paid work elsewhere which wouldn't involve driving buses. The cost of obtaining an LGV licence is around £3k, so if you hadn't quite saved up and a load of backpay landed in your bank account then you could put that into action and get the test sorted.
Don't think getting an LGV licence is the solution. There are loads of LGV drivers without jobs. The LGV industry has gone back to the 1 or 2years experience thing. Look on drivers pages for those looking for jobs

317 forever

Established Member
GNE have now removed the multi operator ticket offer.

GNE singles and returns only.

Almost like they hadn't thought it through when they brought it in.
While it was poorly thought through, I do understand them withdrawing the offer of free multi-operator tickets.

While they were willing to take a hit as an apology for being unable to run their own services, they would still have had to pay a share of multi-operator tickets to the other operators from £0 income from these tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.