• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Godalming Station Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowlys

First time posting here so apologies if this is not the right place for this question.

We are in the process of considering a move from London to nearby Godalming. We would need to commute to london daily and will be a short drive to the train station. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how hard it would be for us to get season ticket car park permits at the station? I heard somewhere that there is a waiting list but I am not sure where to find out more, like how many are on the list and how often spaces come up.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
First time posting here so apologies if this is not the right place for this question.

We are in the process of considering a move from London to nearby Godalming. We would need to commute to london daily and will be a short drive to the train station. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how hard it would be for us to get season ticket car park permits at the station? I heard somewhere that there is a waiting list but I am not sure where to find out more, like how many are on the list and how often spaces come up.

Thanks
Welcome to the forum.

DelW

Established Member
At present, it's rare to see more than a handful of cars in the upper car park, while the lower is usually completely empty. Who knows if or when commuting numbers will go back to what used to be normal?
Prior to March I'd say that many people from within Godalming itself routinely walked to and from the station, which does imply that car parking permits were hard to come by, but I've never tried to get one.

MarkyT

Established Member
At present, it's rare to see more than a handful of cars in the upper car park, while the lower is usually completely empty. Who knows if or when commuting numbers will go back to what used to be normal?
Prior to March I'd say that many people from within Godalming itself routinely walked to and from the station, which does imply that car parking permits were hard to come by, but I've never tried to get one.
Or that their walk is short and pleasant enough such that they can't justify the cost of parking or, for a couple, of a second car that just sits in a station car park all day.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Or that their walk is short and pleasant enough such that they can't justify the cost of parking or, for a couple, of a second car that just sits in a station car park all day.

Exactly. There isn’t much of Godalming that is more than a 15-20 minute walk from the station.

MotCO

Established Member
Prior to March I'd say that many people from within Godalming itself routinely walked to and from the station, which does imply that car parking permits were hard to come by.

Or too expensive? Does the OP know what the charges are? Details are on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/GOD/details.html

Prices valid from 28th July 2019
Tickets purchased by RingGo are at the following rates:
Peak £8.30, Off-Peak, Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays £3.00, Weekly £38.90
Season Ticket holders only before 0900 Mon-Fri.

Overnight parking for non-season ticket holders Friday & Saturday night only
Weekend tickets are available from 0900 Friday £7.90 or £6.70 if purchased by RingGo

Off Peak from 1400 Monday to Friday
Opening hours Monday - Sunday 24 Hours a Day
Number of spaces 129 with 1 accessible spaces available

higthomas

Or too expensive? Does the OP know what the charges are? Details are on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/GOD/details.html

Weekend tickets are available from 0900 Friday £7.90 or £6.70 if purchased by RingGo

Or even worse:
Annual rate £1149.00

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Or even worse:

Cheaper than St Albans, which has 1500 spaces across three car parks, and is rarely less than 70% full (under normal circumstances).

MarkyT

Established Member
Cheaper than St Albans, which has 1500 spaces across three car parks, and is rarely less than 70% full (under normal circumstances).
From a traffic, environmental and land use POV, it's not a good idea to encourage unlimited private car access to major stations especially those situated in urban areas. Overly cheap and especially free station parking can discourage the use of other viable means such as walking, local buses and taxis or household member pickup/drop off (kiss & ride). I think comparatively expensive station parking is here to stay and is justified to encourage the use and development of alternative first/last mile methods.

Taunton

Established Member
From a traffic, environmental and land use POV, it's not a good idea to encourage unlimited private car access to major stations especially those situated in urban areas. Overly cheap and especially free station parking can discourage the use of other viable means such as walking, local buses and taxis or household member pickup/drop off (kiss & ride). I think comparatively expensive station parking is here to stay and is justified to encourage the use and development of alternative first/last mile methods.
That's fine then, we'll drive all the way if the railway doesn't want us to drive to their station. Not everyone is going to Zone 1.

The next thing that happens is people start parking in surrounding residential roads, that causes an upset, controls are then introduced which are an additional cost burden (sometimes substantial) on the residents there, plus gives them all sorts of issues with people visiting, if they have a hire car, etc.

In any event all the greenwash about station parking is just a smokescreen. The TOC wants as much parking as they can, for the revenue from it. Unlike much else of their income, it is not regulated, so is driven wholly by a commercial desire to get as much income as possible.

From a traffic, environmental and land use POV, it's not a good idea to encourage unlimited private car access to major stations especially those situated in urban areas.
Expensive parking at stations not only encourages driving all the way, but also drop off in the morning/pick up in the evening so that car mileage and pollution are doubled. Worse still people waiting to pick up causing congestion and pollution with engines running to provide heating or cooling as appropriate. Plenty of that goes on at Godalming.

MarkyT

Established Member
Expensive parking at stations not only encourages driving all the way, but also drop off in the morning/pick up in the evening so that car mileage and pollution are doubled. Worse still people waiting to pick up causing congestion and pollution with engines running to provide heating or cooling as appropriate. Plenty of that goes on at Godalming.
Is it better that a more polluting older second car is purchased or retained just to sit in a car park all day? It's a difficult balance I agree, but I certainly wouldn't want to start encouraging lots of people who currently walk to drive, not least from the point of view of their own health. I would encourage cheap motorcycle parking however which I assume from your username you might approve of, along with as much free or very economical secure cycle storage as possible, and anything electric.

MarkyT

Established Member
That's fine then, we'll drive all the way if the railway doesn't want us to drive to their station. Not everyone is going to Zone 1.

The next thing that happens is people start parking in surrounding residential roads, that causes an upset, controls are then introduced which are an additional cost burden (sometimes substantial) on the residents there, plus gives them all sorts of issues with people visiting, if they have a hire car, etc.

In any event all the greenwash about station parking is just a smokescreen. The TOC wants as much parking as they can, for the revenue from it. Unlike much else of their income, it is not regulated, so is driven wholly by a commercial desire to get as much income as possible.
I'm not arguing against station parking. I recognise that many people who use rail have no realistic option but to drive and park, but it has to be a balance and there isn't enough room to accomodate everyone who might want to park for free or at peppercorn fees by dint of their holding a valid rail ticket. I agree it's a disgraceful loophole that parking charges appear not to be regulated in any way at all however. What I have noticed in recent decades though is that in the explosion of rail usage people seem far more prepared (or resigned) to paying for parking than they used to be, which is why many car parks are often overflowing today and the TOCs and their agents can sustain the fees they levy. For many people of older generations, the very notion of having to pay for any form of parking anywhere at all seemed to be a total anathema, an infringement of their human rights, and the first step on a slippery slope to Stalinism. While nobody likes paying, the numbers paying to take advantage of such facilities today suggest the prices being charged today are at least in the right ball (or car) park.

paul_l

The last time I asked (about a year ago), the waiting list at Godalming station for a season ticket was 18 around months. It's also not possible to buy a car park ticket on the day until after rush hour (9 or 930am I think) - although I guess this restriction may have been relaxed currently. Farncombe does sell on the day car par tickets, but in normal times gets fewer trains than Godalming.

Season tickets for the council car parks are a little more expensive than the station.

Rowlys

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice.

Re distance and cost, we would not be in Godalming town but a 30 min walk to the station which is probably too far to do on a daily basis.

Re environment, I agree it is a concern hence why we would use an electric car for the purpose of the commute.

@paul_l that’s super helpful thanks. Where was it that you asked? I might check again as assume the pandemic has changed things a little.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Re distance and cost, we would not be in Godalming town but a 30 min walk to the station which is probably too far to do on a daily basis.

That was exactly my view, until I started doing the 30 minute walk to my station. Yes it takes longer - for me it’s probably about 10 minutes longer in the morning and 20 minutes longer in the evening, and it will be different fo you. I also have a safe route to the station with pavements /paths the whole way. However I find the walk refreshing and a good time to think. And it saves me about £2k a year in parking, fuel and car maintenance; I’d save about the same again in car tax /depreciation if I didn’t need the second car for other reasons. Over the 11 years I’ve been walking, it has turned into a very tidy sum, and effectively paid for several big holidays that we otherwise couldn’t have had. (It also keeps me reasonably fit without recourse to the cost and time of using a gym, although there are plenty of other ways of doing that).

The one downside is when there is heavy rain. But that’s when taxis become useful.

My recommendation if you are buying a second car specifically for this purpose, which you are of course free to ignore, would be to try walking for a month or two, even if it meant using a taxi half the time. It will definitely be cheaper, better for you, and will help you get to see your neighbourhood. If it’s not working out, then get a car.

Rowlys

That was exactly my view, until I started doing the 30 minute walk to my station. Yes it takes longer - for me it’s probably about 10 minutes longer in the morning and 20 minutes longer in the evening, and it will be different fo you. I also have a safe route to the station with pavements /paths the whole way. However I find the walk refreshing and a good time to think. And it saves me about £2k a year in parking, fuel and car maintenance; I’d save about the same again in car tax /depreciation if I didn’t need the second car for other reasons. Over the 11 years I’ve been walking, it has turned into a very tidy sum, and effectively paid for several big holidays that we otherwise couldn’t have had. (It also keeps me reasonably fit without recourse to the cost and time of using a gym, although there are plenty of other ways of doing that).

The one downside is when there is heavy rain. But that’s when taxis become useful.

My recommendation if you are buying a second car specifically for this purpose, which you are of course free to ignore, would be to try walking for a month or two, even if it meant using a taxi half the time. It will definitely be cheaper, better for you, and will help you get to see your neighbourhood. If it’s not working out, then get a car.

Sage advice, thank you! I suspect if there is a waitlist I will have little choice but to walk initially and that will be a good time try it out!

We would also use the car for the school run in the morning and evening on the way to and from station. Don’t think two toddlers so up for a 30 mins walk!

Snow1964

Established Member
The other popular option at many Surrey car station car parks is to get an old bike and cycle to/from the station. Quite common if journey is mile or two (but probably not at Godalming as it is quite hilly)

Actually bike doesn’t have to be old, just less attractive to thieves than other peoples bikes.

In some places, one way road layouts, congested car park exits, and position of bike racks means it can be faster to cycle than driving.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
In some places, one way road layouts, congested car park exits, and position of bike racks means it can be faster to cycle than driving.

Depending on the traffic, walking can be quicker than driving. If I leave home at a certainty time, I often beat my neighbour to the station who leaves at the same time in his car. (He does offer me a lift, but it’s quicker to walk!)

paul_l

@paul_l that’s super helpful thanks. Where was it that you asked? I might check again as assume the pandemic has changed things a little.
I think it was about July/August time, I just asked at the ticket office.

One thing I would say is that while the morning isnt too bad, the traffic around the station itself in the evening can be very bad, particularly if it's raining, as when they added the new entrance and barriers, they removed the 20 min wait parking, and now it can be a crazy chaos of cars waiting to collect people on both sides of the road and facing each other nose to nose in the gap in between.

Rowlys

I think it was about July/August time, I just asked at the ticket office.

One thing I would say is that while the morning isnt too bad, the traffic around the station itself in the evening can be very bad, particularly if it's raining, as when they added the new entrance and barriers, they removed the 20 min wait parking, and now it can be a crazy chaos of cars waiting to collect people on both sides of the road and facing each other nose to nose in the gap in between.
Thanks very much. I will go in and ask at the station when I am next there.

Can I also ask, how are the trains to London in the morning and the return in the evening? Can we expect to get a seat? We’d probably be looking at catching a train from Godalming between 7.45-8.20 am. Any chance?

paul_l

That's a little late in the morning for me, before Covid my wife and I have always been able to get seats together on the 643, 718 or 727 in coach 9 of 12 over the last year. On the 658 we sometimes could get a seat together and sometimes apart in coach 10 of 10.

In the evening there is a train from Waterloo roughly every 15 minutes, and it all comes down to how soon before departure you arrive and how far down the platform you are prepared to walk as to whether you can get a seat. WIth a few minutes to go its usually lots of people standing near the buffers with some seats still availabel at the front.

The 10 coach trains (444/442) are generally more comfortable with 2+2 than the 12 coach trains (3+2), but are rarer.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I would strong advise you to position yourself as far away from the gateline at Waterloo, by that I mean on London bound trains go to the rear of the train, on southbound trains go to the front of the train. The 0640 from Havant is a new service and is designed to take some of the weight off of the 0615 from Portsmouth. This is the train I would be aiming for, so approximately 0740 from Godalming.

finally, I would advise you to try and understand how the maps on places such as Traksy or Open train times work, and how train headcodes work.

For you, you need to be looking for either 1P, 1G (not 1G53) or 2P headcodes. The lower the odd number is, the earlier on in the day it is supposed to depart from Waterloo.

paul_l

The 640 from Havant is the 718 at Godalming I mentioned above. It's now nowhere near as quiet as it used to be. Usually standing room only from Guildford except on Fridays.

pompeyfan

Established Member
The 640 from Havant is the 718 at Godalming I mentioned above. It's now nowhere near as quiet as it used to be. Usually standing room only from Guildford except on Fridays.

is it really that short a journey? Thanks for clarifying.OP ignore me I don’t know what I’m talking about clearly :D

DelW

Established Member
2 cars in the lower car park at midday today, and about 7 or 8 in the upper, so numbers are increasing slightly.

Rowlys

2 cars in the lower car park at midday today, and about 7 or 8 in the upper, so numbers are increasing slightly.
Thanks so much! I have tried to go to the station a few times when I have been visiting Godalming to see if I can get on the waitlist. But the ticket office is always closed? Do you know if it is ever open? I just really want to find out how long the wait is for a space at the moment. Do you need to have a season ticket to get on the list or do you just need to buy one once you get to the top of the list?

DelW

Established Member
Thanks so much! I have tried to go to the station a few times when I have been visiting Godalming to see if I can get on the waitlist. But the ticket office is always closed? Do you know if it is ever open? I just really want to find out how long the wait is for a space at the moment. Do you need to have a season ticket to get on the list or do you just need to buy one once you get to the top of the list?
In normal times, the ticket office was open every day from morning until early evening and was quite busy. However, I'm not surprised it's closed, there are so few passengers using the station at present, most of them probably being season ticket holders, that I doubt if they'd have sold more than a handful of tickets a day at best.

I haven't used the station since February, but walking past, there are still staff present on the platform when dispatching trains. Maybe if you wait for a train and ask them, they might know more about the situation? The gates are normally left open at the moment.

I'm afraid I can't help about how car parking is allocated, I've never parked there regularly. But demand is still very low, typically 6 or 8 cars in the bottom car park recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.