• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Going for D.I Driving instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubrey4444

Hi

Wondering if any DIs have just gone through the interview process as mines coming up for D.I Driving instructor.

What sort of Qs they ask and what to study?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HeelBurton

South western SWR

I went through it on the old system 6 years ago. I’ve heard it’s a little easier now, but it’s basically going to be questions about how you would deal with someone who’s struggling, how you would deal with someone who is difficult to get on with, what you would do if someone was doing something unsafe, things you would do to maintain standards of the company, how you would go about becoming a “role model” etc

sw1ller

Established Member
If there’s any role play, and someone takes a phone call half way through..... it’s a test! Haha

Dieseldriver

Ok thanks for info so on top of that you have rules and traction Qs wondering what Qs do they focus on ?

Many thanks
If you're applying to become a DI, the least you should have is a high enough standard of rules/traction knowledge to not worry about what questions they could ask you on the subjects.

Llama

Established Member
They will probably ask you the more obsure stuff or things that have recently changed to see what your level of attention to detail is and whether you keep your knowledge current. I work for a different TOC and the recruitment for instructors seems to change with every intake. We had to do a small ten minute presentation in the interview on a rules subject of our choice (from three choices), a few obscure traction/rules questions and they asked us to draw a map of our home station and explain all possible moves. A few years later they had prospective DIs do a project before the interview. Other interview questions were along the lines of "what would you do if..." scenarios (uncooperative trainee, struggling trainee, old hand driver returning from LTS, gobs***e on a safety brief, etc).
DI is a very different job to 'just' driving, you will learn a lot about yourself and others!

Status
Not open for further replies.