• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government and TOCs responsibility wrt PFs, TIRs ,ticketless & invalid ticket travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wath Yard

If you don't think government should be telling people what to do then don't watch late night telly with the public service announcements, you won't like it.

The best strategy to me seems to be a multi-pronged one, of deterents, warnings and checks.

The idea that we should not inform the traveling public of their responsibilities and then rub your hands with glee when someone falls foul of them seems rather odd. There are genuine fare dodgers out there who seem to travel with impunity, that no one seems to bother going after, so it can't be that big a concern.

So after telling people they need to buy a ticket to travel on the train what next? Public information films telling them they need to pay for their shopping at supermarkets? Please.

I think a number of people spend too long on this forum and not long enough in the real world. There are various people on here who continuously regurgitate spurious byelaws and sections of the NCoC, basically stating you are a criminal if you don't or do do this that or the other. However, from decades of very regular rail travel throughout the country I know from how I have seen people dealt with they are not always dealt with 'by the book' and the vast majority seem to be dealt with very fairly, and sometimes unduly leniently.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
More and more people try it on these days, and I really don't have any sympathy for them.

These people seem to think it's very easy to come up with an excuse that they think is plausible, yet has the RPI/guard laughing inside and thinking '50th one this week'. If that doesn't work, you've always got the media to cry to and can call the evil law enforcers 'jobsworths' and other typical insults.

I do think people try it on because they a) really do think it's no big deal and also think that b) These greedy private companies with their big fat cats don't need the money. I'm sure there are some people who convince themselves that not buying a ticket is some sort of political protest against high fares! Oh, and if more and more people get away with it, others will decide eventually to join in as they don't want to be seen as the mug paying while others go for free.

Others just don't want to pay for anything out of principle and arrogance, and fit the profile of the person that breaks many other laws too. Then you have the kids in a group that seem to think fare evasion, upgrading to first class is a way of saying 'F*** Y**' to everyone else. Safety in numbers often means they don't get into any trouble, which obviously encourages them to push the boundaries even more next time.

I am actually quite happy when RPIs get tough, as long as they play by the rules. Perhaps they should upgrade the PF posters, just to give them a new look and perhaps change some wording - it would do no harm - but there's no requirement to do so. As said before, ignorance is no excuse - but this isn't even about ignorance, it's about people really thinking it's okay to do.

I'd love to see every station manned whenever trains are running, and gates in operation for the same time. I'd like to see more staff that can give reassurance to passengers at weekends, evenings and at off-peak times. However, I am not sure I - or anyone else - would be willing to pay for it, or want to see some stations ultimately closing.

The only way to ensure better policing is for the Government to make revenue checking a requirement of any future franchise. We'd still wind up paying for it, but at least there would be consistency instead of some TOCs being more proactive than others, or suddenly getting tough near the end of their franchise (as National Express did, and it seems FCC might now be doing too) and not seeming to care much at other times.

General Zod

A fair few people still think that Penalty Fares, fines, criminal prosecutions are hollow threats which only occur in the most extreme of cases and the general attitude may be , "Oh well it won't happen to me. " This casual "laissez faire" attitude results in a very painful bang down to earth when the harsh reality of the situation bites.

Fare-Cop

Although it comes up frequently, I think this is one of the most interesting and useful debates that this and other forums have

The gist of my original post was that personally, and people may disagree with me, I think public awareness needs to be raised as to the penalties and possible repercussions of traveling without a valid ticket. It is the TOC and Government's responsibility to do this. One or two discretely placed posters warning about penalty fares isn't too much or a deterrent and does not look threatening enough. The opportunist fare dodger won't be too alarmed. If, however, the warnings are rather more gruesome and brutal then I think they will have more of a desired effect. TOCs need to drum it into everyone that you must have a correct and valid ticket for your journey or else A, B and C will happen. Reinforce the point that fare evasion does not pay and getting caught could result in life changing consequences. Chances are that the very casual traveler who is still confused by the ticketing system , Off peak / peak times, restriction codes etc etc will be just as ignorant to the punishment he/she could face if he did not possess a ticket or the correct ticket for his journey.

Exactly, but when I have previously mentioned making warning signs much more obvious at all railway access points on this and other public forums, I have generally been ‘attacked’ as so many people seem to consider that such action would not be seen as ‘customer friendly’, or might make the railway somehow ‘less attractive’ to the travelling public.

It always amazes me how many people do not recognise that a customer is someone who has paid for a service or goods, whereas the law refers to users of public transport as ‘travellers’, or ‘passengers’. The 98% of the travelling public who always buy the correct ticket and pay their fare can rightly be called customers and do deserve a better deal, which in many cases includes seeing the TOCs take firm action against the other 2%, who disrupt their services and contribute to higher fares to a great extent.

I think most people understand that fare dodging is dishonest. If they don't understand that the rail industry is getting serious about dealing with their thievery, and that the legal system will support their efforts that is their problem. As for the less culpable cases - there is a need for the law (and NCoC) to be overhauled to compel ToCs to ensure that such cases are dealt with proportionately. It should not be possible (even in theory) for a ToC to successfully prosecute a passenger whose only offence is to have their pocket picked on railway property after purchasing their ticket.

Absolutely right. If the traveller has formally reported the loss there is no way that a Byelaw 18.2 case, or issue of a Penalty Fare Notice should ever be possible

If we take that line of reasoning, then yes, a Prosecution is one sure way of getting the message across (especially effective for those who don't read informative posters!). But its a lot of work just to make a difference to one person (or maybe a small handful of close observers / family / friends). General Zod's proposition was that "public awareness needs to be raised as to the penalties and possible repercussions of traveling without a valid ticket." and posters on stations and other well targetted publicity can make a difference to a lot more passengers than a few prosecutions. Now, you would have a better argument if you felt that widespread publicity without visible enforcement would not be credible. But that's a different reason for disagreeing with the proposition. Though its a reason which would be widely supported in those areas where evasion is regular and widespread, fuelled by unstaffed stations and the impracticability of a Guard performing all duties and collecting all fares on busy stopping services. My view is that the effective means of changing widespread public abuse of the system requires several strategies, which will include, publicity, visible prosecutions, additional issuing facilities and more support for front-line staff in busy areas.

But this brings us to a point in these discussions where one of us asks another : "So what would you propose to replace the current legislation?"

Yes, a nationwide strategy, with standardised rules, consistently applied by all TOCs and resulting in referral for prosecution only where a specific set of criteria are met is the only real solution.

i) A relatively low fixed penalty for failing to comply with the terms of a restricted ticket. Eg; The penalty could be say 25% of the fare already paid, must be paid within 7 days.

ii) Consistent application of the Railcard Rules and full single fare collected in every case

iii) A higher level Penalty Fare (£50.00 plus the single fare for the intended journey) for first time offenders who fail to buy a ticket in breach of Byelaw 18.1 and a warning letter issued advising that ‘continued disregard of the rules may be considered to be a wilful intention not to pay’.

iv) Penalty Fares Appeals process to be privatised and accountable direct to DfT

v) Prosecution of Byelaw 18 charges for second offence.

vi) Prosecution of ‘Intent to avoid a fare’ (RRA 1889) for clear intent cases and third time Byelaw breaches & other serious recidivist offending

Take the prosecution process into a separate new franchise business directly accountable to DfT and not TOC directors. CPS do not have the capacity or wish to take on all of these minor offending cases. There is no need to make them all BTP cases either as they will not result in firm action for the same reasons as the TOCs have kept their own prosecution capabilities, but there is no reason why private prosecutions should not continue as now only via a national railways enforcement office.

I would really rather the Government didn't waste my money on producing government information films telling people they need to pay for goods and services. Regardless of whether people know the actual penalty or not they certainly know they should have a ticket. The punishment, however, should fit the crime (so to speak) and the obviously dishonest should certainly be punished more severely than those who make an effort to pay on the train, and presumably this is usually what happens.
I was quite pleased the last time I went to Bradford Interchange to see that it now has ticket barriers, however was slightly less impressed that they were open and unmanned at 15:00 on a weekday. To ensure the vast majority of passengers have tickets you do not need barriers at every station, just the main ones, but not bothering to man them is hardly a deterrent and is just a waste of time and money.

Exactly so. There is no point in putting the infrastructure in place at great expense if it is not fully deployed

[Its interesting that in the UK Government's recent sweep through outdated legislation here, around 400 old and extant Railway Laws have been repealled this Spring, but no suggestion of updating the most frequently used Railway Acts has been made, despite those used in Fare Prosecutions including one Act from the 1840's and one from the 1880's.]

I think the point that is often overlooked is that the main reason some seemingly antiquated laws remain on the statute book following repeated reviews is that they are good laws.

Laws that serve their purpose particularly well will always stand the test of time.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Yes, a nationwide strategy, with standardised rules, consistently applied by all TOCs and resulting in referral for prosecution only where a specific set of criteria are met is the only real solution.

i) A relatively low fixed penalty for failing to comply with the terms of a restricted ticket. Eg; The penalty could be say 25% of the fare already paid, must be paid within 7 days.

ii) Consistent application of the Railcard Rules and full single fare collected in every case

iii) A higher level Penalty Fare (£50.00 plus the single fare for the intended journey) for first time offenders who fail to buy a ticket in breach of Byelaw 18.1 and a warning letter issued advising that ‘continued disregard of the rules may be considered to be a wilful intention not to pay’.

iv) Penalty Fares Appeals process to be privatised and accountable direct to DfT

vi) Prosecution of ‘Intent to avoid a fare’ (RRA 1889) for clear intent cases and third time Byelaw breaches & other serious recidivist offending

For iii does failure to produce a valid ticket carry the same penalty? If so I'm not I agree with those penalties.

Someone who has blatantly ignored the conditions of their £10 Advance ticket gets a £2.50 fine, while someone who purchased a £30 ticket and lost the return part gets a £50 fine despite no previous offences.

The risk of losing a small piece of cardboard costing you £50 could put passengers off travelling by rail.

Stigy

Established Member

I agree to an extent, but the two above make little sense to be honest, as you might as well go all out (evidence permitting) and prosecute under RRA rather than Byelaws, if you're not issuing a further PF for a subsequent offence.

If you're saying that by having one previous PF that warrants a Prosecution, then you should also be saying it was the individual's intention to avoid payment, surely?

Mystic Force

So after telling people they need to buy a ticket to travel on the train what next? Public information films telling them they need to pay for their shopping at supermarkets? Please.

I think a number of people spend too long on this forum and not long enough in the real world. There are various people on here who continuously regurgitate spurious byelaws and sections of the NCoC, basically stating you are a criminal if you don't or do do this that or the other. However, from decades of very regular rail travel throughout the country I know from how I have seen people dealt with they are not always dealt with 'by the book' and the vast majority seem to be dealt with very fairly, and sometimes unduly leniently.

I live in the real world, most people in the real world however are not reading the fine print of the condition of carriage, carrying on how they have always done things and not necessarily knowing that what they are doing is wrong. The real world also contains those people who ride with no intent of paying on late night trains, people in suits using cheap tickets to exit the system and those who have stolen ticket machines (thankfully only a couple of these people) Comprehensive ways of dealing with these are what is needed. Although one of those categories would not yield extra revenue as they would instead be prevented from traveling for which they have no intent of paying and now would not be doing so but at least it would make it more pleasant for the rest of us.

Why does informing people of their responsibilities upset people. We have anti littering campaigns and anti benefit fraud if people think that they might get caught they might not do it. I worked in a facility where we were searched everyday when we left due to the nature of the things we were working with not because they thought we were all stealing but to keep honest people honest. Have you never stolen a pen from work, or found something on the street and not turned it into the police?

Fare-Cop

I agree to an extent, but the two above make little sense to be honest, as you might as well go all out (evidence permitting) and prosecute under RRA rather than Byelaws, if you're not issuing a further PF for a subsequent offence.

If you're saying that by having one previous PF that warrants a Prosecution, then you should also be saying it was the individual's intention to avoid payment, surely?

I agree Stigy, but a great many people complain that the present process allows TOCs to criminalise people at a first opportunity and it appears that modern society seems to demand a warning be given for everything. I say OK, let's give them a warning for first time offenders of this nature, but they'll be paying for it too.

What I am suggesting is that where there is clear evidence of 'intent to avoid a fare' then prosecution under S.5 RRA (or other relevant legislation) is justified first time and every time.

The difference is in relation to prosecuting Byelaw 18.1 for first time offenders.

At present it is undertaken sometimes, but my suggestion is to use a higher charge penalty consisting of £50 + the single fare for failing to use pre-purchase facilities without acceptable reason. At the same time, the charge notice would result in a written warning to the effect that any repeat will result in a Summons for prosecution. Yes, this could be S.5.3 RRA, but as the warning will have been in relation to Byelaw 18.1 it makes sense to follow through with a consistent approach.

For iii does failure to produce a valid ticket carry the same penalty? If so I'm not I agree with those penalties.

Someone who has blatantly ignored the conditions of their £10 Advance ticket gets a £2.50 fine, while someone who purchased a £30 ticket and lost the return part gets a £50 fine despite no previous offences.

The risk of losing a small piece of cardboard costing you £50 could put passengers off travelling by rail.

No, I ought to have added that I would retain the existing Penalty Fare for all odd-case scenarios with the exception of the two that I referred to at i) and iii).

i) The 'surcharge' for those who fail to comply with the terms of restricted tickets could be anything between 25% and 100% - I simply chose a figure to stimulate debate, but it would not apply to anyone other than the person who does not comply with the restrictions that they have accepted when buying the ticket

Lost or stolen ticket claims would still be processed by issue of the standard PF and appeal process, or discretion of staff as at present.

iii) The £50 plus single fare for breaches of Byelaw 18.1 only - this is to promote knowledge of and to enforce the Byelaw with the two-fold aim of dealing firmly with re-education of the 'chancers' and trying to maintain viability of staff posts at stations with high levels of ticketless travellers

Skymonster

Established Member
* Better and more easily available information and advice/guidance on what the consequences of not complying with the rules is certainly required - for example, it's all very well having a few weasel words stuck on a TVM saying that travel us subject to NRCoC but how many passengers have read the NRCoC. If everyone who bought at a TVM then went to the booking office to actually read the NRCoC the system would rapidly decend in to a chaos of very long queues

* Standardisation of processes and penalties for inappropriate travel (wrong train, wrong fare, wrong class, no ticket, buy on board, etc) is required across all TOCs so that customers don't innocently get caught out assuming that all TOCs in this supposedly joined up railway work the same way - for example, all should (or should not) allow buy-onboard, all should (or should not) allow buy up to first onboard, etc.

Having said that, we probably need to accept that the joined up railway will never be 100% proof against deliberate evaders, because it's simply too expensive to barrier every station and have ticket inspections performed on every train. On that basis, we also need to accept that there will always be some revenue loss due to fare evasion. If we a accept these premises, then I think we need to understand that the industry itself has no incentive whatsoever to fix these problems. The willingness or otherwise of the industry to fix the problem has nothing to do with customer satisfaction, simplification or understanding. Whilst ever the system is open to abuse, it is in the interests of the industry to operate a system that can apply punitive financial penalties to those caught not complying with the rules, whether those people were acting deliberately or acting in innocence. Putting it bluntly, fines and penalties raise extra revenue for the industry and they're not going to give that up or make the process clearer or more lenient, without being told to do so by legislation change or direct instruction from DFT.

Andy

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I think the main problem with getting tougher on fare evaders is the fact that those people who are caught out buy a genuine mistake, or even who are totally innocent, would also end up getting tougher treatment.
If that issue could be solved (I have no idea how), then by all means totally throw the book at those who are then caught.
But right now, it is all too easy to end up in trouble when the issue has been the railways, and not yours.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
i) The 'surcharge' for those who fail to comply with the terms of restricted tickets could be anything between 25% and 100% - I simply chose a figure to stimulate debate, but it would not apply to anyone other than the person who does not comply with the restrictions that they have accepted when buying the ticket

A 'simple surcharge' of around 25%, or even of 100% cannot work, because unless there is a credible penalty element to increase the passenger's cost of the journey to a figure above what he should have paid, passengers will just chance it on whatever restricted ticket is available.

Suppose you are talking here about stuff like using an off peak in the peak; even a 100% 'simple surcharge' might not leave the passenger any worse off than if he bought the peak ticket in the first place, so why would anyone ever bother?

So basically what you'd have to do is charge the difference between the fare paid and the fare that should have been paid, PLUS a 'simple surcharge'. Which is fundamentally what a Penalty Fare regime is for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.