• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government minimum levels of service laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
You seem to be missing the fact that both Tories and Labour are committed to the net zero carbon emissions agenda which intends to abolish the manufacture of petrol driven cars in the very near future so whatever the next government they are going to make it increasingly difficult for all except the rich to drive a car.

I don’t think it would realistically be possible to manage without railways in the various big cities. The flows carried are still fairly significant.

Meanwhile, politically I don’t think it would be acceptable to get rid of railways elsewhere when the agenda continues to be generally to make driving as unpleasant as possible. This has continued in a creeping way even under this government with things like smart motorways, speed limit reductions, more cameras, cycle lanes, et cetera.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The pandemic is over. Are you saying the government are actually paying wages to the drivers who work for private companies ? That's a new one to me.
Yes, that's exactly what the current arrangement is. Operators hand over all the revenue they earn and get reimbursed all their costs, plus a fee that's partly fixed and partly dependent on performance/cooperation etc. metrics. It's why the government is pulling the strings in this dispute, despite pretending to merely 'facilitate' talks.

bramling

Veteran Member
The combination of strikes, overtime bans and lack of RDW agreements has left rail virtually unusable in parts of the country. There are no trains at all for the most of this week from my closest station. You cannot rely on it at present without some sort of backup plan (e.g. a car).

I’d already given up on my local rail service, the Covid service reductions being the last of a number of straws. Funnily enough, all of these negative factors trace back to the DFT and/or the government. When a government has been in power for 12 years it’s lame to lay blame for problems elsewhere, though I note this government is rather good at attempting to do that. If it wasn’t the nasty unions fault then it would probably be Putin’s.

BrummieBobby

One thing which I think is often underestimated is just how much people are furious with this government, not just over the immediate issue of the strikes, but really their whole conduct through the whole Covid response, especially those who didn’t benefit from stuff like furlough. The whole partygate affair is simply the cherry on a very big cake. There’s plenty of people I know who will quite happily go on strike simply to stick a finger up at this government, regardless of how pragmatic that might be.

If I had a pound for every person I’ve heard recently who is normally a fairly rock-solid Conservative voter who is now actively looking forward to having the opportunity to vote Labour.
Precisely- for every one of us who went to work when we didn't know what the next day would bring (As I did), for every teacher who taught vulnerable / key worker kids (As my wife did), for every nurse and doctor who held the hand of a person who died without friends or family (As my sister did), for everybody denied the right to attend the funeral of a loved one (Again, as I was), for those who were allowed to see families for one day at Christmas (Or, like my Muslim neighbours, who were not allowed to see their families at all during Eid) all while those in power were enjoying parties and laughing at the rest of the population. They should never be forgiven.

I have a very good friend who until Brexit actively campaigned for our local Tory party- he is now completely alienated from the party and cancelled his membership some time ago.

bramling

Veteran Member
There seems to be plenty of interest whenever the industry is recruiting for drivers; are you suggesting there is a shortage of applicants?

This keeps cropping up.

Whilst there is no shortage in terms of applications per vacancy, there *is* certainly an increasing issue with securing applicants who successfully pass through the selection process, successfully pass through the training, and who turn out to be quality employees who find the job is actually for them and go on to perform it consistently well in the medium and long term. Especially in the London area.

dctraindriver

There seems to be plenty of interest whenever the industry is recruiting for drivers; are you suggesting there is a shortage of applicants?
I know of two personally who have failed their second attempt at passing their finals In the past few weeks with no guarantee of going back to their old roles so could be out of the industry altogether. I think it’s harder to pass than many think. Shortage of applicants? No but it’s no walk in the park.

Thirteen

Established Member
I'm confused how health workers such as paramedics and nurses are part of this new proposed law when they already have minimum service levels as part of the agreement when strike action does take place.

brad465

Established Member
They where all bunched together on the 4pm news bulletin nut then again this is the British media who’ve not been very sharp with the disputes technicalities so far. Even Loraine can’t tell the difference between ASLEF & RMT when interviewing Mick Lynch.
I would also like to see the media try and debunk this idea that we can suddenly automate all the railways and save on the drivers, when in reality, as was discussed on hear before, it'll be too expensive and take too long to resolve now, so will only happen as rolling maintenance and rolling stock replacements allow. What also doesn't help is many don't realise that the modern segregated DLR is a very different beast to the Victorian mixed-traffic highly integrated rail network.
I think I'd like to see how this progresses before worrying too much about the details. What "minimum service/safety(?)" looks like and how this will be delivered along with what enforcement can be taken are all still to be thrashed out. For the meantime, the legislation has to be passed, and there's no guarantee that it will do so unchallenged or unchanged.

All that said, the cynical side of me sees this as treating the symptom rather than the cause. An honest and respectful dialogue, even if it didn't result in a brilliant outcome, would be better than simply pulling down the shutters. It's hardly surprising that they attack the strikes rather than attempt to address the underlying reasons for them.
The cause is high inflation, the level of strikes often seen nationally across every sector that strikes often correlates with the rate of inflation, going back through decades. Therefore if you don't want strike action, don't let inflation get out of hand, or if it can't be controlled, be prepared to offer better pay deals, like has been the case between unions and private sector companies.
What trap have they walked into?
The trap that the Government want a scapegoat/target for blame that isn't themselves. While I support many striker's causes, I do wonder if everybody just shutting up about whatever the Government want to discuss/talk about whether they'd then collapse, because then they're last roll of the dice fails, would see their grievances get resolved sooner, if an early election resulted?
People who falsely claim to be ill for one day are going to get away with it (assuming they stay at home) for sure, however if they did it repeatedly they may find they can no longer get away with it.

I would assume such behaviour would be very uncommon; I can't imagine many people, if any, behaving such a way at any organisation I've ever worked for. If anyone thinks this would be common at their workplace, it would be interesting to hear more on that.
I think it's actually more common for the opposite to happen, where workers who should take time off due to being sick go into work because they cannot afford to be off. This was a big problem during covid, and while I opposed many restrictions, I'm a strong advocate for better sick pay to make sure workers isolate and avoid temporarily taking out workforces with bugs.
The Government should abandon this very silly proposal and make a proper pay offer to train drivers to end their industrial action. If the railway industry is to recruit and retain staff the Government and the railway industry have to be realistic about pay.
Not when they need a fight to continue in order to distract from their own ineptness. This is why they haven't negotiated with any public sector unions, even nurses, who enjoy much higher levels of public support.
I don’t think it would realistically be possible to manage without railways in the various big cities. The flows carried are still fairly significant.

Meanwhile, politically I don’t think it would be acceptable to get rid of railways elsewhere when the agenda continues to be generally to make driving as unpleasant as possible. This has continued in a creeping way even under this government with things like smart motorways, speed limit reductions, more cameras, cycle lanes, et cetera.
Indeed, and I would add to this that at the moment the OBR are forecasting fuel duty to go up by 12p a litre in April (5p of this is the temporary cut ending), which if it goes ahead will really hit drivers. I do think also road users don't realise that they benefit from the railways even when they don't use them, because other people using the railways reduces burden on the roads.

I'm confused how health workers such as paramedics and nurses are part of this new proposed law when they already have minimum service levels as part of the agreement when strike action does take place.
It's Government gaslighting (i.e. trying to con people who don't realise it's already a minimum requirement).

Thirteen

Established Member
Getting rid of the railways as an idea is such political poison that no Government would ever attempt it plus as has been mentioned many times, none of the major UK cities would cope both with the extra congestion but also it would be a financial act of self harm not to mention with transport devolved in Scotland, Wales, London and Liverpool, they would not accept it so it would be a non starter.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
As others have suggested, I think it's just anti-union noise from the government. Is it not just a little coincidental that it comes when the country is facing probably the most industrial action for decades? Paints a bad picture of government (like they needed any help with that) so they retaliate with "we need laws to stop these nasty unionised workers putting peoples lives and livelihoods at risk". They don't need to directly make any accusations, but the implication is there, to try and swing public support away from the strikers to the government

ar10642

Thanks, I was just curious as to the actual figures. Worth noting that 23%, whilst clearly not a majority, also isn't an insignificant number, either.

Maybe they are. In any dispute that is primarily related to pay, there will naturally come a point where striking workers stand to lose more than they could ever hope to gain, financially at least.

However, looking at the wider picture and going back to an earlier point, are you suggesting that, say, all of the ambulance staff who are striking over pay should simply quit and go an find other jobs? And all of the nurses? And what about all of the junior doctors who were striking a few years back?

To be honest they probably should. And in fact they are as I understand it and the government are having to use higher paid agency workers to fill in. They can't legislate against people leaving so voting with your feet is the only way to force them to improve pay and conditions.

As it happens I think the nurses' strike will have much more impact and public support as if nothing else it is a very rare occurrence, which is not something you can say for the RMT.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
As it happens I think the nurses' strike will have much more impact and public support as if nothing else it is a very rare occurrence, which is not something you can say for the RMT.
Absolutely. Most people have a general idea of what nurses do, and have some level of respect and admiration for them.

In general, the public have a hard time understanding what the vast majority of rail staff do, or why they receive the salaries that they do. Guards/conductors/train managers are, in my experience, almost universally referred to as "the ticket guy" or "the bloke who walks through the train". Apart from "drivers", a generic "station staff" and maybe "signaller" you'd probably struggle to get the general public to list many other railway jobs, let alone their actual purpose or importance. The railway, along with other public transport, is largely looked down upon, even by those who regularly use/rely on it, as a necessary inconvenience. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, Mr Lynch, with his tenancy to get angry and shouting in interviews, doesn't do a particularly good job at trying to change any of that and gain public support.

Established Member
I suppose it's a matter of perspective as to what constitutes a freedom. If people were being literally forced to go to work then I would have said this would constitute a breach of fundamental freedoms.

But that's not the case; this legislation isn't proposing to remove the right for people to leave their employers without undue penalties or notice periods. In my view, that's as far as the human right to withdraw labour extends.

In which case you evidently have a very poor understanding of what is generally meant when people talk about a “right to strike”, and appear here to be conflating it with a right to not to be forced to go to work for a particular employer, which sounds rather more like a form of slavery!

You’ll find that having the ability to resign has absolutely nothing to the long-standing and widely acknowledged protected right to withdraw one’s labour in the context of an industrial dispute.

The right to continued employment despite striking is unusual in several respects, and is not a human right in my view. It is an interference with the employer's right to make or terminate contractual relationships, and that interference needs to be justified.

It might not be a human right in your view, but it is in the view of the ILO, the Council of Europe, the UN etc.

You’ll also find that employers don’t have an unfettered right to make or terminate contractural relationships, this can only be done subject to a whole plethora of (hard won over many decades) protections conferred by employment legislation. It’s interesting that you’re so keen to wish some of those protections away. Presumably just ones you feel you personally won’t benefit from?

I do get the sense from many of your posts that you both look down on front line railway staff, and clearly dislike the unions that represent their interests, so this no doubt colours your views.

You can't simply divide the political spectrum by left or right. There is at least one other axis, namely authoritarian versus liberal. Most of the political disagreements in recent years have been along this axis.

In my view, restricting someone's right to leave their home or enter countries is a far more authoritarian restriction than limiting the circumstances in which strikes are afforded protection.

Why can’t both be equally awful? This proposed legislation is authoritarian, profoundly anti democratic just as much of the anti Covid legislation was, and should worry any right thinking person (I say that as a long-standing Tory voter*).

It’s certainly interesting (and deeply hypocritical in my view) that some of those who claimed to be opposed to authoritarianism as an approach when it came to Covid restrictions are quite happy to see it being meted out to workers (and unions) they don’t like.

*I won’t be voting for them anytime soon, and possibly never again at this rate!

But if you fall into those narrowly defined set of circumstances - which the more activist of the rail unions have little difficulty in achieving here - then it is done with impunity.

It’s surely a contradiction in terms to suggest that, when unions manage to achieve the increasingly onerous and restrictive requirements to conduct industrial action, they’re simultaneously acting with impunity. But clearly you don’t really believe in the right to strike in the first place, so perhaps it comes as no surprise that you can’t see that.

I don't see that there is a human right to continued employment notwithstanding the fact that you're deliberately harming your employer's business, but that is obviously a matter of perspective.

Again, you don’t see it, but many other international bodies concerned with human rights and many legal systems do, including our own (much as this government seems determined to interfere with it).

Anyone going off sick, or getting pregnant and going on maternity leave, or seeking to enforce health and safety legislation against their employer, or defending their rights in an employment tribunal, is in some sense “deliberately harming their employer’s business”, yet these are all protected. Taking strike action is a variation on the same theme. Or perhaps you think protection in those other areas should be repealed, too.

I don't think these two things can be remotely compared. As I've said before, the government isn't removing the right to withdraw labour, it's restricting the circumstances in which that withdrawal is afforded protection from the consequences which would normally follow from doing so.

It’s eroding the right to withdraw labour in the context of an industrial dispute. As I’ve noted above, this really has nothing to do with an ability to resign or work for a different employer. Why are you conflating the two?

I don't see that there is any inherent right to withdraw labour without consequences.

You’ll find there is in many jurisdictions. The ones which don’t have such protections tend to have rather questionable records in other respects: Qatar, China etc. People who withdrawal their labour also suffer a loss of earnings, so hardly “without consequences”. Again, why would you suggest otherwise?

That doesn't mean we can't have a sensible set of legislation here.

This is revealing. You are clearly anti union, and you certainly don’t appear to approve of railway staff standing up for themselves, so no great surprise you will view restrictions on unions taking action as “sensible”.

I'm sure there may be individual examples of minimum service levels not being enforced, but in my experience they generally are. I have travelled around numerous other countries during strikes. In most cases there was a reasonable, albeit limited, strike timetable that could be relied upon - and even viewed in advance, to see if a train was guaranteed to run in the event of a strike.
Countries like Italy are dictatorships?

This is a false equivalence. Italy and France don’t have many of the other rules and hoops to jump through around strike action, unions cannot be sued in the way being proposed here, workers cannot be sacked for not attending work when subject to MSLs. In short the legal systems and remedies available are completely different, not necessarily equivalent, and simply saying “it works in Italy, it can work here” completely misses this point.

I'm sure that the Lords, particularly the law lords, will have a view let alone the European Court of Human Rights. I suspect that legislative delays and litigation will delay implementation sufficiently that Labour will be able to repeal it before it ever takes effect.

I agree. Interestingly Starmer this morning expressly stated a Labour government would repeal it if it was in place when they came to power, which is a much more positive statement than previously made.

It’s a deeply unpleasant piece of legislation from a deeply unpleasant, failing government in its death throes, desperately casting around for a distraction. Disappointing to note (but not remotely surprising) which posters are cheerleading it on here!

How many others countries, even the US, allow employers to sue unions for going on strike? You only address part of the issue whereas Nowak is talking about the proposals in the round.....

Precisely.

I’m not personally convinced it will be at all effective in a railway context, and I think the government also knows that, which is why they didn’t bring it in a long time ago.

There are plenty of ways to badly disrupt this industry without formally withdrawing labour… ;)

Let’s get one thing straight here: in the UK there is no positive ‘right to strike’.

I’m not sure how instructive that is given that there are relatively few “positive rights” generally in this country.

It’s perhaps more relevant to consider the specific statutory protections conferred on strike action that you note, and the fact withdrawal of labour has long been protected under UK law (the level of protection has varied, but dates back centuries as a concept). Equally it’s clear from jurisprudence of the ECHR, to which the UK is a signatory, that there is a positive right to strike under Article 11. Similarly the ILO, of which the UK is a founding member, has long recognised a right to strike.

So it’s clear that strike action has long been both contemplated and facilitated by UK law, and that the UK government has joined various organisations and ratified international treaties that recognise it as legitimate.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I haven't had a chance to walk through the entirety of this thread yet, so apologies if this has already been covered. But there seem to be a few trains of thought here.

• Firstly, "they wouldn't dare to do it". Well right back at the beginning of this dispute I warned that the government were determined to win this one & that they might try to push through more anti-union legislation. I was told that "they wouldn't dare". But now it is only a couple of weeks away from starting it's journey through Parliament. I'm not going to say "I told you so", but I'm thinking it loudly.
  • Next "It won't get through". Well I'm not so sure about that, the Tories often fall back to anti-union policies when they need to rouse the rabble, and boy do they need it now.
  • "They can't enforce it". Covid restrictions anyone?
  • "Labour will repeal it". Only if it suits them, and of course assuming they actually take power later next year. No matter how bad the Tories are, the current Labour regime seem more than capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Also let's not forget Labour's stance on Covid restrictions, they wanted more, not less. They like the idea of more power, so this legislation might just suit them to a tee. Of course publicly they won't say that, but I trust them less than I do TPE getting me from Leeds to Manchester, and that's not a lot!
My point in all this is that the railway unions went chasing after inflation matching (or as close to) pay rises, expecting the government just to fall that their knees sobbing & begging for forgiveness. But anyone with half a brain could see the folly in this, right at the start of an economic crisis that is seeing millions of people struggling to make ends meet, eye watering budget deficits, rail revenue way down, and yet the unions wanted the government simply to hand over the cash & stuff everyone else. It was so obvious that the government would simply dig in and sit it out. It was also obvious that they may try to turn the dispute into political gain.

Before anyone trots out the "you're anti-union" line, I am not. I was a union rep for many years, and continue to be a union member & support the principle of them. However I am also a realist. Asking for large pay rises, whist also refusing any hint of change of T&Cs to improve productivity when the government essentially finances the industry, and the country is in an economic mess is just plain daft. I stand by what I said right back at the beginning of all this. Pick your fights well.

irish_rail

On Moderation
I haven't had a chance to walk through the entirety of this thread yet, so apologies if this has already been covered. But there seem to be a few trains of thought here.

• Firstly, "they wouldn't dare to do it". Well right back at the beginning of this dispute I warned that the government were determined to win this one & that they might try to push through more anti-union legislation. I was told that "they wouldn't dare". But now it is only a couple of weeks away from starting it's journey through Parliament. I'm not going to say "I told you so", but I'm thinking it loudly.
  • Next "It won't get through". Well I'm not so sure about that, the Tories often fall back to anti-union policies when they need to rouse the rabble, and boy do they need it now.
  • "They can't enforce it". Covid restrictions anyone?
  • "Labour will repeal it". Only if it suits them, and of course assuming they actually take power later next year. No matter how bad the Tories are, the current Labour regime seem more than capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Also let's not forget Labour's stance on Covid restrictions, they wanted more, not less. They like the idea of more power, so this legislation might just suit them to a tee. Of course publicly they won't say that, but I trust them less than I do TPE getting me from Leeds to Manchester, and that's not a lot!
My point in all this is that the railway unions went chasing after inflation matching (or as close to) pay rises, expecting the government just to fall that their knees sobbing & begging for forgiveness. But anyone with half a brain could see the folly in this, right at the start of an economic crisis that is seeing millions of people struggling to make ends meet, eye watering budget deficits, rail revenue way down, and yet the unions wanted the government simply to hand over the cash & stuff everyone else. It was so obvious that the government would simply dig in and sit it out. It was also obvious that they may try to turn the dispute into political gain.

Before anyone trots out the "you're anti-union" line, I am not. I was a union rep for many years, and continue to be a union member & support the principle of them. However I am also a realist. Asking for large pay rises, whist also refusing any hint of change of T&Cs to improve productivity when the government essentially finances the industry, and the country is in an economic mess is just plain daft. I stand by what I said right back at the beginning of all this. Pick your fights well.
No one on the railway is asking for a "large " payrise. Thats the nurses. Railway would be quite happy with something very modest, even after approaching 4 years of nothing. And to suggest the railway won't consider even a hint of modernisation Is also wrong. Yes DOO is quite rightly a line in the sand, and similarly being forced to work Sundays as overtime isn't a realistic ask. How would the average member of Joe public like to be told "next week you will be working a 6 day week not 5, like it or lump it". The government need to compromise here. We are quite happy to have Sunday as part of the working week, but the idea it would be enforced overtime is utterly ridiculous.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Let’s get one thing straight here: in the UK there is no positive ‘right to strike’.

The starting point is that if an employee takes industrial action by withdrawing his labour then he will generally be in breach of contract at common law.

If that breach of contract was procured by a trade union then, again at common law, that union can be pursued by the employer in tort/delict for the damage caused.
Yes, it's correct that law does not positively legislate for the right to strike. However, there are many rights that we enjoy in our day to day lives without even thinking about them that are not positively legislated for.

Bantamzen

Established Member
No one on the railway is asking for a "large " payrise. Thats the nurses. Railway would be quite happy with something very modest, even after approaching 4 years of nothing. And to suggest the railway won't consider even a hint of modernisation Is also wrong. Yes DOO is quite rightly a line in the sand, and similarly being forced to work Sundays as overtime isn't a realistic ask. How would the average member of Joe public like to be told "next week you will be working a 6 day week not 5, like it or lump it". The government need to compromise here. We are quite happy to have Sunday as part of the working week, but the idea it would be enforced overtime is utterly ridiculous.
The unions are not asking for a large rise, but want to make up for 4 years of not getting rises? That would be a large rise this year then? What the nursing unions are asking for are totally unrealistic, as are those of my own union which is why I will not strike if they call one in my department. Many people in this country have had to put up with no pay rises for many years, a lot spend 9 months or more on 20% less, and others lost their jobs entirely thanks to covid restrictions. Perhaps when you peek outside the railway bubble, you'll see why there isn't a huge amount of support or sympathy for the rail union's cause. As for working hours, well take a look around you. More & more people are being asked to expected to be able to work outside previously normal working hours. We live in an increasingly 24/7 society, and the railways need to find a way to live with that.

irish_rail

On Moderation
The unions are not asking for a large rise, but want to make up for 4 years of not getting rises? That would be a large rise this year then? What the nursing unions are asking for are totally unrealistic, as are those of my own union which is why I will not strike if they call one in my department. Many people in this country have had to put up with no pay rises for many years, a lot spend 9 months or more on 20% less, and others lost their jobs entirely thanks to covid restrictions. Perhaps when you peek outside the railway bubble, you'll see why there isn't a huge amount of support or sympathy for the rail union's cause. As for working hours, well take a look around you. More & more people are being asked to expected to be able to work outside previously normal working hours. We live in an increasingly 24/7 society, and the railways need to find a way to live with that.
Is this the same country where most people are now able to go into the office Tuesday to Thursday and basically have Friday to Monday off? Things are getting easier work life balance wise across much of the economy, yet government expect to make life much harder for rail workers? Not exactly fair. Especially as we where the ones who helped subsidise furlough and keeping people in jobs (some of which have questionable worth).

ar10642

Is this the same country where most people are now able to go into the office Tuesday to Thursday and basically have Friday to Monday off? Things are getting easier work life balance wise across much of the economy, yet government expect to make life much harder for rail workers? Not exactly fair. Especially as we where the ones who helped subsidise furlough and keeping people in jobs (some of which have questionable worth).

Working from home is not time off.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
:lol::lol:
What a load of nonsense...

Bantamzen

Established Member
Seriously? Is that your best argument? Home working is no joke, nor is it an easy way to dodge work. Do you really think people wanted to be stuck at home, often for much less money? For me it helped my marriage rattle itself apart as my ex wife was self employed and couldn't work at all, and we ended down thousands down and stuck indoors arguing about how to make ends meet. So don't give me that lecture that its an easy life, it is far from it. I would much rather be in the office and commuting on trains, although with attitudes like yours maybe I should rethink that?

Plenty of other people suffered too, being stuck in all day & not socialising with colleagues is not a doss at all. And it must have been even harder for those that were forced into a 20% pay cut or worse, many of whom were effectively fired and rehired for less than their previous wage. Sometimes people make me really angry, and this is one of them. You've got a good job with plenty of opportunities to earn a bit extra in an industry heavily subsided by the entire tax paying country. So maybe you won't get the dream pay rise and no changes to your T&Cs, but you'll still have a job. Maybe when the country isn't on it's economic arse you'll get better, but in the meantime your industry does not exist in a bubble, nor does it warrant special treatment.

Carlisle

Established Member
Things are getting easier work life balance wise across much of the economy, yet government expect to make life much harder for rail workers?
Would most of the population in full time employment consider a 35hr 4 day week hard ? I doubt it

Established Member
Would most of the population in full time employment consider a 35hr 4 day week hard ? I doubt it

Would that be the same “four day week” that includes working six or seven days on the trot, working two out of three weekends, finishing work at 0100 and being in again at 0500 the next day?

I’m pretty sure most of the population couldn’t cope with that…

:lol::lol:
What a load of nonsense...

There is quite a bit of it on this thread…

irish_rail

On Moderation
The fact remains, furlough is what has broken this country financially and is why the government needs to look for savings elsewhere now.
But I will reiterate. If you where told you will no longer be working Monday to Friday in your job, but Monday to Saturday, how would you feel? Honestly? Goodbye family time, goodbye leisure pursuits etc. Rail workers are not robots. We have lives and families as well.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The railway industry has come to expect several more privileges than others though.
The fact remains, furlough is what has broken this country financially and is why the government needs to look for savings elsewhere now.
But I will reiterate. If you where told you will no longer be working Monday to Friday in your job, but Monday to Saturday, how would you feel? Honestly? Goodbye family time, goodbye leisure pursuits etc. Rail workers are not robots. We have lives and families as well.
I’m really confused. If an employer is required to ask for more of an employee, and that employee doesn’t want to do what is required, do they not typically just leave?

Bantamzen

Established Member
But I will reiterate. If you where told you will no longer be working Monday to Friday in your job, but Monday to Saturday, how would you feel? Honestly? Goodbye family time, goodbye leisure pursuits etc.
Already had that happen, and for much less than the rail unions are asking for. And I am sure many other people outside of the rail industry have.

Rail workers are not robots. We have lives and families as well.
Neither are people who work in retail, factories, healthcare, IT, engineering, etc, etc.....

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Would that be the same “four day week” that includes working six or seven days on the trot, working two out of three weekends, finishing work at 0100 and being in again at 0500 the next day?

I’m pretty sure most of the population couldn’t cope with that…

There is quite a bit of it on this thread…
Indeed. Suggesting that the majority if the UK population only works 3 days a week, whilst getting paid for 5 is the cherry on top though. Do all rail workers share this extremely incorrect and very blinkered view of the rest of the population? Is that why they feel so hard done by?

Status
Not open for further replies.