• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government, the Party system and democracy: do they actually work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I actually remember Labour winning three in a row though. I have no memory of the '92 election, and wasn't even alive for the three Mrs Thatcher won. And speaking of Maggie, I suspect the idiots would have voted against her.

Now where are HST Power and Mojo to back me up on this? :p Is nice to know I'm not the only "Blue" on here.

SS4

Established Member
I actually remember Labour winning three in a row though. I have no memory of the '92 election, and wasn't even alive for the three Mrs Thatcher won. And speaking of Maggie, I suspect the idiots would have voted against her.

Now where are HST Power and Mojo to back me up on this? :p Is nice to know I'm not the only "Blue" on here.

Don't forget Old Timer :p
I wasn't alive for the three Thatcher won but doesn't mean they didn't happen ;)

Schnellzug

Established Member
I actually remember Labour winning three in a row though. I have no memory of the '92 election, and wasn't even alive for the three Mrs Thatcher won. And speaking of Maggie, I suspect the idiots would have voted against her. .

What, the intellectuals voted for her after Our Boys whupped the Argies?

Ivo

Established Member
So people that don't support Tory policy are idiots?

What, the intellectuals voted for her after Our Boys whupped the Argies?

I does kind of look like I said that doesn't it :oops: Not all Labourites are idiots. I know that. I just think they're wrong - to a severe degree.

Remember that fuss I kicked up about the strikes at the end of November and how my University came over as being distinctly Labourite? <(

Don't forget Old Timer :p

I forgot about him. That's four. (Out of over 13,000 though? :()

SS4

Established Member
I does kind of look like I said that doesn't it :oops: Not all Labourites are idiots. I know that. I just think they're wrong - to a severe degree.

Trouble is we've not much choice. We can vote for Tory Lite or full Tory. The joys of two barely distinguishable parties :|

Ivo

Established Member
Trouble is we've not much choice. We can vote for Tory Lite or full Tory. The joys of two barely distinguishable parties :|

You could try abstaining ;) Or vote RailUK! I volunteer myself to be Leader. Sod Mojo et al.

(jk)

We have had one dictator (if you exclude OC) namely the one and only MRS T

Does she have any support in Scotland at all?

Zoe

Established Member
Trouble is we've not much choice. We can vote for Tory Lite or full Tory. The joys of two barely distinguishable parties
Others though would say the two parties are poles apart.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We have had one dictator (if you exclude OC) namely the one and only MRS T

What definition of dictatorship are you using? She was leader of a party that won three free and fair elections that eneabled her as head of that party to be Prime Minister? How then was she a dictator?

Butts

Veteran Member
Does she have any support in Scotland at all?

Well when she started ther Tories were still in the twenties with regard to MP's, by the end of her reign they were down to teens.

After Major it was zero :p in the 97 rebellion :p

Butts

Veteran Member
What definition of dictatorship are you using? She was leader of a party that won three free and fair elections that eneabled her as head of that party to be Prime Minister? How then was she a dictator?

Well said - her manner was perhaps dictatorial.....cue spitting image "what about the vegetables" joke.

In the circumstances her manner was possibly appropriate to the economic melt down she inherited.:idea:

Schnellzug

Established Member
On the subject of Democracy vs. Dictatorship, and the well known quote attributed to Winnie that's been mentioned at least once, Churchill was really to all intents and purposes a Dictator, wasn't he? He recognised that the only way to get things done was to over-rule the party bickering and the endless cycle of only planning for the next election. And as our other friend Ollie Cromwell has also been brought up, I think his famous quote says it all really.
Ollie Cromwell to the Rump Parliament said:
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

LE Greys

Established Member
On the subject of Democracy vs. Dictatorship, and the well known quote attributed to Winnie that's been mentioned at least once, Churchill was really to all intents and purposes a Dictator, wasn't he? He recognised that the only way to get things done was to over-rule the party bickering and the endless cycle of only planning for the next election. And as our other friend Ollie Cromwell has also been brought up, I think his famous quote says it all really.

First time round, maybe. Churchill wasn't party leader when the Conservatives were elected, that was Chamberlain. However, I think there was a sunset clause in the Government of National Unity agreement at the beginning of the war. When hostilities ceased, there would have to be an election. Second time round, he won on his war record, but was half the leader he had been. Hence the ping-pong for a while between Labour and Tory.

Schnellzug

Established Member
First time round, maybe. Churchill wasn't party leader when the Conservatives were elected, that was Chamberlain. However, I think there was a sunset clause in the Government of National Unity agreement at the beginning of the war. When hostilities ceased, there would have to be an election. Second time round, he won on his war record, but was half the leader he had been. Hence the ping-pong for a while between Labour and Tory.

Exactly. For the, I think you could call it reign, that made him a legend, he wasn't actually elected at all. The second time, as you say, he was elected mainly out of affection, but I think people came to realise that a great War leader isn't necessarily a great peacetime leader. (See also: Duke of Wellington).

Status
Not open for further replies.