• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govia Thameslink intention to prosecute letter

kar07

Good morning Everyone,
First of all thank you for this forum. Your advice is invaluable and has been very useful to me in drafting my response to the Intention to Prosecute letter which I received yesterday.
I was caught short faring at Gatwick in mid March and thought I would not post on the forum, until the letter arrives. I am absolutely mortified at the prospect of potential consequences of my stupid actions and wish I had never done it…
I am attaching the letter I received and the draft of my response. I do realise it’s quite detailed at the moment and I’m ready to abbreviate it. If you could please kindly proof-read it for me, I would be extremely grateful. I want to post the response early next week as it has caused me great anxiety and worry and I would like this matter to finally come to an end as soon as possible… Whenever I receive any communication from Govia, I’ll post it here so it can give an idea for any future similar cases.

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to reply to your letter dated 14.05.2024 and present my truthful statement.
I can confirm that on the 13th of March 2024 I was stopped by a Revenue Protection Inspector without a valid ticket. I am a (profession) who works at Gatwick Airport and I usually drive to work at different times of the day from (area name). On the above date I took a train to avoid driving both ways in rush hour. I looked up the train ticket price online and discovered it was considerably higher than my usual costs of petrol. This is when I took a very short-sighted and selfish decision to only pay for part of my train journey. I correctly tapped in and out for the tube journey from (station name), where I live to Blackfriars Station but from there I only purchased a day return ticket to London Bridge in the ticket machine, which cost £7.40 (see tickets attached) and a day return ticket from Three Bridges to London Gatwick, which I paid £3.90 for via Train Line (see attached printout). This ticket would allow me to go past the barrier on arrival at Gatwick and again on the way home. In arrival at GTW, I was stopped by the Revenue Protection Inspector. As my ticket had not been scanned at Three Bridges, I confessed what I had done. In my naivity I was expecting to be asked to pay the correct fare or a fine on site, but instead I was presented a Witness Statement. I did not fully understand what it meant until I looked it up online. To my shock and horror I found out the gravity of the situation and its consequences, which could potentially result in a court sentence, a criminal record and could seriously impact or even end my professional career. On the same day, as soon as I realised the above, I purchased the correct return ticket online (please find attached the printout), to at least partially compensate for what I had done. Additionally, I tapped out my debit card at Gatwick Airport on my return trip and was therefore charged a full fare to/from work (please see attached bank statement).
I am very regretful and ashamed of my actions. I will never do it again and I will always purchase the correct train ticket before travelling. I understand the severity of my actions, the detrimental impact fare evaders have not only on Thameslink but also on National Railway and the money that is being lost through such foolish, irresponsible and unlawful actions. I completely understand and back up your zero policy to evaders. I do not want to be associated with such behaviour but instead, want to contribute in creating a modern, efficient and safer railway. On this occasion I would once again like to express my deepest apologies and regret for my anctions and the inconvenience I have caused.
I would like to request if you could kindly consider resolving this matter amicably, without the need for court action. I am eager to cover any costs that Govia has incurred in relation to this case. I appreciate your consideration and am looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully,

Attachments

• IMG_8342.jpeg
    IMG_8342.jpeg
    594 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8343.jpeg
    IMG_8343.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It's far too long, and needs to be broken up into paragraphs for clarity. They don't want to know that the cost was more than the cost of petrol, and so on. I would cut out at least half of it and concentrate on the basics of being apologetic, and asking very nicely if they will consider an out of court settlement.

One question though - how many other short fares will they find on your Trainline (other retail tickets sites are available) account? You can expect them to investigate all of those and build them into any response.

ikcdab

It really is far far too long and you don't need all of the explanation of what you did as they already know that. That bit can be chopped hugely.
I think that saying "want to contribute in creating a modern, efficient and safer railway. " Is a bit over the top! I think you need to cut it right down. Admit what you did, express your remorse and why you now know it was wrong, say you will never do it again and then ask for the settlement.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Our experience is that Govia Thameslink Railway are often willing to settle matters like this by an out of court settlement - which would mean that you don't have a conviction, which in turn means nothing on a DBS record or 'a criminal record' and so (unless your contract/work handbook/etc. says otherwise) nothing that you would need to tell your employer about. But in case that's not what happens here, it's probably worth talking to your union rep* beforehand to get some sort of feel for what view your managers may take if you are convicted.

*Most of the professional roles I can think of at an airport are unionised, so there's a fair chance that the OP has a union rep.

kar07

Thank you so much everyone! Brissle Girl, there were 4 more similar occasions as per my Trainline purchase history (I have no registered account there) between December-March. I have read other similar posts and am a bit confused: on one hand many people advised not to incriminate yourself unless you receive the response mentioning other instances/suspicion of other instances. On the other hand, I have seen a few offenders get back to the train companies straight ahead with a list of other occasions. What do you suggest?
I’ll sit around my response in the evening and will definitely shorten it.

Pushpit

Thank you so much everyone! Brissle Girl, there were 4 more similar occasions as per my Trainline purchase history (I have no registered account there) between December-March. I have read other similar posts and am a bit confused: on one hand many people advised not to incriminate yourself unless you receive the response mentioning other instances/suspicion of other instances. On the other hand, I have seen a few offenders get back to the train companies straight ahead with a list of other occasions. What do you suggest?
I’ll sit around my response in the evening and will definitely shorten it.
If it really is only 4 occasions, and the Anytime Single fare isn't that big, then I can see a point in being pro-active in identifying this. Yes the total penalty goes up to cover GTR's losses, but probably not the "admin charge" bit, and it then allows you to move on from any digital forensics being done on your online purchases in the future.

kar07

If it really is only 4 occasions, and the Anytime Single fare isn't that big, then I can see a point in being pro-active in identifying this. Yes the total penalty goes up to cover GTR's losses, but probably not the "admin charge" bit, and it then allows you to move on from any digital forensics being done on your online purchases in the future.
Thank you for getting back to me. I will edit my letter tonight and include the other occasions. I definitely want to be transparent on this. There is not much point sitting around and waiting to see if they will or will not check back my online purchase history. This is all a well-deserved crisis but far too stressful to have to deal with for much longer.

Thank you again for all the tips. I have shortened the letter, omitting the petrol/train ticket price, the list of consequences as they are already well known. I have added other dates as per my Trainline purchase history. I have also made the paragraphs a bit more clearly visible - I understand the volume of such cases the department must go through.
Please kindly let me know if there is anything else I could do:

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to reply to your letter dated 14.05.2024.
I can confirm that on the 13th of March 2024 I was stopped at Gatwick Airport by a Revenue Protection Inspector without a valid ticket.

I am (profession) at Gatwick Airport and I usually drive to work from (area name), however, on the above date I took a train. I correctly tapped in and out for the tube journey from (station name), where I live to Blackfriars Station but from there, led by a short-sighted intention to save money, I purchased a day return ticket to London Bridge in the ticket machine (see tickets attached) and a day return ticket from Three Bridges to London Gatwick via Trainline (printout attached). As my ticket had not been scanned at Three Bridges, I confessed to the Inspector what I had done. In my naivety I was expecting to pay the correct fare or a fine on the spot, but instead I was presented with a Witness Statement. I did not fully understand what it meant until I checked it online. To my horror I found out the gravity of the situation and its consequences, as listed in your letter. Therefore, I immediately purchased the correct return ticket online (please find attached the printout), to at least partially compensate for what I had done. Also, on my return journey I tapped in at Gatwick station and therefore paid the full fare again (see bank statement printout).
I want to be completely transparent and admit that prior to 13th of March I had short fared on four more occasions and on the route between London Blackfriars and Gatwick Airport:
5 December 2023
3 January 2024
15 February 2024
29 February 2024

I understand the severity of my actions, the detrimental impact fare evaders have on train industry and the financial losses generated as a result.

I am very regretful and ashamed of my actions. I will never do it again and I will always purchase the correct train ticket before travelling.

On this occasion I would once again like to sincerely apologise and request if you could kindly consider resolving this matter amicably, without the need for court action.

I am strongly committed to cover any costs that GTR has incurred in relation to this case.
I appreciate your consideration and I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully,

Last edited:

Pushpit

I think that is a reasonable letter. It could be shortened a bit more but there comes a point when you need to get over your point of view without too much polish from other sources. Because you listed the other occasions it looks like your authentic perspective.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Agree with @Pushpit that it’s still a bit long, but not too to the point that the investigator will get bored long before the end. I would try and break that very long paragraph up though as it will make it much easier to read.

kar07

Thank you! I will try to still shorten some of it and post again what I think might be the final version. I really appreciate everyone’s input here.

Here I am again. I think I have what seems to be my final version. I have broken the long paragraph into two and I have listed all the attachments at the end, so as not to distract whoever reads it throughout.
As always, any comments are much appreciated.

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to reply to your letter dated 14.05.2024.
I can confirm that on the 13th of March 2024 I was stopped at Gatwick Airport by a Revenue Protection Inspector without a valid ticket.

I am (profession) at Gatwick Airport and I usually drive to work from (area).
On the above date I tapped in and out for the tube journey from (where I live) to Blackfriars Station but from there, led by a short-sighted intention to save money, I purchased a day return ticket to London Bridge in the ticket machine and a day return ticket from Three Bridges to London Gatwick via Trainline.

As my ticket had not been scanned at Three Bridges, I confessed to the Inspector what I had done. In my naivety I was expecting to pay the correct fare or a fine on the spot, but instead I was presented with a Witness Statement. I did not fully understand what it meant until I read about it online. To my horror I found out the gravity of the situation and its consequences, as listed in your letter. Therefore, I immediately purchased the correct return ticket online, to at least partially compensate for what I had done. Also, on my return journey I tapped in at Gatwick station and therefore paid the full fare again.

I want to be completely transparent and admit that prior to 13th of March I had short fared on four more occasions and on the route between London Blackfriars and Gatwick Airport:

5 December 2023
3 January 2024
15 February 2024
29 February 2024

I understand the severity of my actions, the detrimental impact fare evaders have on train industry and the financial losses generated as a result.

I am very regretful and ashamed of my actions. I will never do it again and I will always purchase the correct train ticket before travelling.

On this occasion I would once again like to sincerely apologise and request if you could kindly consider resolving this matter amicably, without the need for court action.

I am strongly committed to cover any costs that GTR has incurred in relation to this case, as well as pay all outstanding fares.
I appreciate your consideration and I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully,

Attachments:
Tickets from Blackfriars to Ldn Bridge purchased in the ticket machine
Trainline return ticket Three Bridges-Gatwick Airport
Trainline return ticket Ldn Bridge - Gatwick Airport
Bank statement showing full fare paid for the whole of the 13.03 return journey.

Last edited:

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I think that’s fine now. We could continue wordsmithing for ages, but it gets your intended message across more clearly now.

I hope it gets the desired response. Please do let us know in due course.

kar07

Thank you again! I’ll send it on Monday morning and sit tight hoping for the best I’ll post as soon as I hear anything.

Hello Everyone,
I promised you an update and here it is. I posted my letter on Monday (3 days ago) as next day signed for and already received a reply via post today☺️ This is a great result and once again thank you for all the tips. Without this forum I would be at a loss and much, much more stressed. However, if I had known how efficient they would be in replying and how cooperative, I would have saved myself quite a few sleepless nights.
Thank you again!

Attachments

• IMG_8445.jpeg
    IMG_8445.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Blimey - that is a very good result (in terms of cost) given you disclosed previous instances. Thank you for letting us know.

kar07

Yes! I wasn’t really expecting it to be THIS good. Maybe they have taken into account that I had already paid for one of the trips in question twice (I had enclosed all receipts etc)… A huge load off my chest!

Pushpit

Thanks for reporting back. It also helps us for those in a similar - with a bit of "previous" - to advise how GTR will respond. It is much lower than I expected, I would like to think your honesty here helped. It's important now to keep the documentation (including this thread) somewhere safe, just in case in a few months some unrelated part of the train infrastructure does some sort of electronic trawl on your purchases.

kar07

Thanks for reporting back. It also helps us for those in a similar - with a bit of "previous" - to advise how GTR will respond. It is much lower than I expected, I would like to think your honesty here helped. It's important now to keep the documentation (including this thread) somewhere safe, just in case in a few months some unrelated part of the train infrastructure does some sort of electronic trawl on your purchases.
Thank you. Will do that! I’ve kept all the documentation and proof of payment of course.