• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govia Thameslink witness statement

teejju

Hi everyone. I made a blunder that I am not proud of. I live in hatfield and go to London for job for the last 2 weeks. To save money on travelling I was buying return tickets to Potters bar and would exit at Finsbury to take the underground. Yesterday I was stopped and my ticket was checked and they asked me why did I not scan the ticket at Potters Bar where I thought of speaking the truth and to their continous questions I spilled the truth and they checked my travelling history to find that I have done this 15 times. Then my details were taken I had to give my old address because the address where I currently live is a friends place. They gave me a witness statement reciept. I am willing to pay the fine and settle out of the court. Should I be worried that I might be prosecuted. I know it was the stupid thing to do and I regret doing it. But now I want to move on and end this matter as I dont want this to keep giving me anxiety. How should I contact them to send the letter to my current address and what should I write them back so that they do not prosecute me.

I have been reading alot of threads on this forum and it would mean alot to get some help from you guys. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi everyone. I made a blunder that I am not proud of. I live in hatfield and go to London for job for the last 2 weeks. To save money on travelling I was buying return tickets to Potters bar and would exit at Finsbury to take the underground. Yesterday I was stopped and my ticket was checked and they asked me why did I not scan the ticket at Potters Bar where I thought of speaking the truth and to their continous questions I spilled the truth and they checked my travelling history to find that I have done this 15 times. Then my details were taken I had to give my old address because the address where I currently live is a friends place. They gave me a witness statement reciept. I am willing to pay the fine and settle out of the court. Should I be worried that I might be prosecuted. I know it was the stupid thing to do and I regret doing it. But now I want to move on and end this matter as I dont want this to keep giving me anxiety. How should I contact them to send the letter to my current address and what should I write them back so that they do not prosecute me.

I have been reading alot of threads on this forum and it would mean alot to get some help from you guys. Thank you.
At this stage write to them to correct your address. It’s vital you get mail from them and reply to it if you want to avoid court.

Were you given any paperwork with a ref number on it? If so quote that, state where and when you were stopped, say you have now moved from x to y, give them an e mail address too.

teejju

At this stage write to them to correct your address. It’s vital you get mail from them and reply to it if you want to avoid court.

Were you given any paperwork with a ref number on it? If so quote that, state where and when you were stopped, say you have now moved from x to y, give them an e mail address too.
Should I send them an email or call them? Even tho I can still get mails from my old address but it is a bit of work to do. I dont want to keep going back there and ask for my letters.

FenMan

Established Member
I can still get mails from my old address but it is a bit of work to do. I dont want to keep going back there and ask for my letters.

Returning to your old address to collect your post is an inconvenience, but one you have brought upon yourself.

You could choose to find out how much more inconvenient it would be if you were convicted and given a criminal record as a consequence of failing to reply to the railway's letters, or you could tell them your up to date address.

As you've been buying short-fare tickets online it's easy for the railway to prosecute you if you don't actively cooperate with them. If you're hoping the problem will just go away then I suggest you need to think again.

The choice is yours.

teejju

Returning to your old address to collect your post is an inconvenience, but one you have brought upon yourself.

You could choose to find out how much more inconvenient it would be if you were convicted and given a criminal record as a consequence of failing to reply to the railway's letters, or you could tell them your up to date address.

As you've been buying short-fare tickets online it's easy for the railway to prosecute you if you don't actively cooperate with them. If you're hoping the problem will just go away then I suggest you need to think again.

The choice is yours.
How do I update my address? Should I call them or email them?

The choice is yours.
How long does it take to get the letter, and can I ask them to write me on a different address in a reply to the first letter on my old address? Or is it there any easier way to change it?

FenMan

Established Member

How long does it take to get the letter, and can I ask them to write me on a different address in a reply to the first letter on my old address? Or is it there any easier way to change it?

I am not an expert on the best way to advise Thameslink of your correct address - others will be able to help, so check back soon.

Regarding when you can expect to receive a letter, it's likely Thameslink will look into your online purchase history, so it could take a while to arrive, possibly months from now or it could be a matter of days - it depends on the current workload in their prosecutions department.

According to numerous reports on this forum Thameslink are minded to offer out of court settlements to those who fully cooperate with them (but this is not guaranteed). That means they recover the unpaid fares owed to them plus the cost of their investigation and, in return, you wouldn't get a criminal record. Typically they will calculate the fares owed using the undiscounted Anytime Single rate for each unticketed journey you have made plus £150 or so to cover the costs of their investigation, but they have also been known to offer better terms on occasion. However, that is their choice, not yours. If Thameslink do offer an out of court settlement then they will expect to be paid straight away, so be prepared for that eventuality.

AlbertBeale

Established Member

It's best in writing, so e-mail not phone call (quoting the reference and so on, so they put the address correction on the right file). Or of course you could also send a letter in the post, and pay the Post Office for proof of delivery so that you can be sure they received it. But e-mail is probably sufficient.

I don't understand your second point; the sentence doesn't make any sense to me. If you've told them your new address, then they will no doubt update their files and write to that one and not the one you gave them before. (But until you actually get a letter from them at the corrected address, you should keep checking the "wrong" address too, just in case they write to you promptly, before they've processed your change of address information.)

It might take a few weeks before you get a letter from them. People here will give advice on how best to respond then. It's important that you do reply, quickly, and in the right way.

You said earlier, "I am willing to pay the fine and settle out of the court". Firstly, if you settle out of court there won't be a fine - only a court can issue a fine. The money you'd pay to the rail company to settle out of court is a private settlement between you and them, not a fine in the legal sense; there are no legal implications - no fine, no court appearance, no criminal record, etc. Also, you say you're willing to settle out of court - but remember it's not your decision; if you've broken the law repeatedly, the railway company can certainly take you to court if they wish; you need to persuade them that they're willing to deal with it out of court. that will mean responding to them in a way that shows you've learnt your lesson and so that they feel sure you won't do it again. I presume you've been scrupulous about always buying the right tickets for all rail journeys since you were stopped?

teejju

I am not an expert on the best way to advise Thameslink of your correct address - others will be able to help, so check back soon.

Regarding when you can expect to receive a letter, it's likely Thameslink will look into your online purchase history, so it could take a while to arrive, possibly months from now or it could be a matter of days - it depends on the current workload in their prosecutions department.

According to numerous reports on this forum Thameslink are minded to offer out of court settlements to those who fully cooperate with them (but this is not guaranteed). That means they recover the unpaid fares owed to them plus the cost of their investigation and, in return, you wouldn't get a criminal record. Typically they will calculate the fares owed using the undiscounted Anytime Single rate for each unticketed journey you have made plus £150 or so to cover the costs of their investigation, but they have also been known to offer better terms on occasion. However, that is their choice, not yours. If Thameslink do offer an out of court settlement then they will expect to be paid straight away, so be prepared for that eventuality.
Thank you, I am fully prepared for the out of court settlement and would wait for the letter to write them in an apologetic tone. I think it would help my case most hopefully.

It's best in writing, so e-mail not phone call (quoting the reference and so on, so they put the address correction on the right file). Or of course you could also send a letter in the post, and pay the Post Office for proof of delivery so that you can be sure they received it. But e-mail is probably sufficient.

I don't understand your second point; the sentence doesn't make any sense to me. If you've told them your new address, then they will no doubt update their files and write to that one and not the one you gave them before. (But until you actually get a letter from them at the corrected address, you should keep checking the "wrong" address too, just in case they write to you promptly, before they've processed your change of address information.)

It might take a few weeks before you get a letter from them. People here will give advice on how best to respond then. It's important that you do reply, quickly, and in the right way.

You said earlier, "I am willing to pay the fine and settle out of the court". Firstly, if you settle out of court there won't be a fine - only a court can issue a fine. The money you'd pay to the rail company to settle out of court is a private settlement between you and them, not a fine in the legal sense; there are no legal implications - no fine, no court appearance, no criminal record, etc. Also, you say you're willing to settle out of court - but remember it's not your decision; if you've broken the law repeatedly, the railway company can certainly take you to court if they wish; you need to persuade them that they're willing to deal with it out of court. that will mean responding to them in a way that shows you've learnt your lesson and so that they feel sure you won't do it again. I presume you've been scrupulous about always buying the right tickets for all rail journeys since you were stopped?
I haven't told them my new address, I meant if they send the letter to my old address and then I would write them in the reply to update my address. Anyhow I have emailed them and would wait for the update from them. Will try to call them as well today.

I have been buying the right tickets since the incident, and would continue to do so. Thank you for your reply.

Snow1964

Established Member
Typically letters take 3-7 weeks (depends how busy they are), but can be few months.

If they offer you are settlement, it will be their choice, they also choose the amount. Typically full fare for each journey plus administrative cost of about £150. Which will be payable in full in one go (no instalments or giving extended time to pay).

You have already increased the administration by messing about with addresses, so likely not to be a lower admin figure.

It is also worth noting that although your witness statement says you have done this 15 times, they might recheck whilst processing the letter, and if they find you didn't learn your lesson and have done it again since being stopped, then I would expect you will make it very hard to get a settlement offer.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@teejju. Welcome to the forum. An undiscounted Anytime Day Single from Hatfield to Finsbury Park is something like £12.70 per one way journey. A return journey will likely be charged at 2 x £12.70 = £25.40. Fifteen such return journeys, if that's the number, will add up to maybe £381.00. Add on the probable admin fees, and you're potentially looking at North of £500.00, and if you do get the opportunity of settling up out of court, the train company will expect you to pay up, all in one go.

Still a better option, perhaps, than being taken to court, found guilty, and ending up with a conviction/fine.

teejju

@teejju. Welcome to the forum. An undiscounted Anytime Day Single from Hatfield to Finsbury Park is something like £12.70 per one way journey. A return journey will likely be charged at 2 x £12.70 = £25.40. Fifteen such return journeys, if that's the number, will add up to maybe £381.00. Add on the probable admin fees, and you're potentially looking at North of £500.00, and if you do get the opportunity of settling up out of court, the train company will expect you to pay up, all in one go.

Still a better option, perhaps, than being taken to court, found guilty, and ending up with a conviction/fine.
I figured that out. Will have to start saving. Feeling stupid that I'm paying more than what I was trying to save. Lesson learnt. I hope it's over soon and I can have a peace of mind.

Typically letters take 3-7 weeks (depends how busy they are), but can be few months.

If they offer you are settlement, it will be their choice, they also choose the amount. Typically full fare for each journey plus administrative cost of about £150. Which will be payable in full in one go (no instalments or giving extended time to pay).

You have already increased the administration by messing about with addresses, so likely not to be a lower admin figure.

It is also worth noting that although your witness statement says you have done this 15 times, they might recheck whilst processing the letter, and if they find you didn't learn your lesson and have done it again since being stopped, then I would expect you will make it very hard to get a settlement offer.
All I want is to get the letter and get over with it. Don't want it to be dragged long. I'm keep thinking about my stupidity and this incident.

Titfield

Established Member
I figured that out. Will have to start saving. Feeling stupid that I'm paying more than what I was trying to save. Lesson learnt. I hope it's over soon and I can have a peace of mind.

All I want is to get the letter and get over with it. Don't want it to be dragged long. I'm keep thinking about my stupidity and this incident.

Yes we often see on here that the gravity of the situation and the worry / stress it brings only hits home when the prospect of legal action is "real".

Try not to stress too much as these things do work out and even the worst is not the worst that people imagine it to be.

As is often said, take it on the chin, learn the lesson and move on.

teejju

Yes we often see on here that the gravity of the situation and the worry / stress it brings only hits home when the prospect of legal action is "real".

Try not to stress too much as these things do work out and even the worst is not the worst that people imagine it to be.

As is often said, take it on the chin, learn the lesson and move on.
Thanks brother. I'm gonna keep you guys updated. Will ask about how to reply.