• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Graham Farish Class 47 Completely Knackered

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSwindonRailE

I have a Graham Farish model of 47404 'Hadrian'. It's about 6 years old now and has worked almost perfectly the whole time. However one day, for no apparent reason, it wouldn't move. The lights turn on but don't change when I switch the direction. Took the body off and theres nothing obvious out of place. It has a DCC chip in and after trying 2 chips which I found in my little tub of bits and pieces, it appears that the motor is working because its making noise when placed on the track (turns out they were DC chips but it shows that something is still working). Does anyone have any clue as to what could be the matter?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are you able to put a DC one back in it and try the loco on a DC controller?
I’ve got a Farish 47 and it had the same thing. Once I put the DC chip back in and tried it with a DC controller (there’s an analog DC port on my controller), it worked fine so I then knew that it wasn’t the loco.

It turned out that it was the pins being slightly loose where you push the chip in on the loco so I bent them very slightly and the chip slotted in more snugly.

I have a feeling that putting DCC voltage through the loco without the appropriate chip can fry the PCB board if you’re not careful though.

TSwindonRailE

Thank you very much, I'll try that in a bit. PCB board should be fine as it's worked perfectly with DCC for a couple of years now

Status
Not open for further replies.