• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Class 180 formations

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Are the Voyagers set for handback soon? Or are they staying longer
I don't think there has been any subsequent info released publicly. As it is only Bradford crews trained on the 221s, they can only work the West Riding services. But in addition to that, the Sunderland services also need their 180s to cycle via the West Riding to visit Crofton for maintenance / repairs. This means that only certain West Rising services can be diagrammed to 221s. From what I have heard the crews like the reliability of the 221s, but they are not as spacious as a 180.

jamie56

On Moderation
Moving away from the original subject, I know; but does anyone know whether 56910 is under repair or is it the intention that 180110 will remain 4 car?

The problem with that coach is said to be corrosion; it would be odd if that's a problem unique to this coach. In a recent accident report corrosion affecting structural strength seemed to be regarded as important in that it affected safety.
I think it will get repaired at some point

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I think it will get repaired at some point
AFAIK 180110 is back as a 5 car unit as reported upthread. I believe it is now stood down from Grand Central use so will probably be depend on whether the fleet owner considers it to have a future.

I believe the only misformed GC180s now are 180103 and 180106 which contain each other's centre (55xxx) car.

jamie56

On Moderation
It has been, you've quoted a post that's 2 years old and so it hadn't been repaired at that point...
Consider last year supposedly it had still not been repaired I have no clue if it has been or not

180114 failed at York this morning on 1A64 and cancelled, next booked working of 1A95 from Kings Cross also cancelled. Quicker GC get their next track access licence sorted and obtain some more reliable stock the better. Don't get me wrong, i like the 180s and their passenger comfort, but above all we need the trains to actually run.
I still remember when emr had 180s and funnily enough 114 failed on the points at syston the points xc 170s use me and my mate watched it eventually getting hauled by a rog 37 they are good units don't get me wrong but they need a servir case of tlc

Last edited:

Ryry

Video on YouTube seen that 180103 and 05 power driving cars are together with 103 being on the front heading towards Sunderland and 105 being on the rear of the 5 car set

bnsf734

Regarding "180105"

I was on a North East rover ticket which finished last Monday (4 March) and observed the 180 with 180105 on the coupling cover, but it is NOT 180105 on the side numbers so that can be considered a red herring. I am not sure how it came to be fitted and why the number is incorrect but it is. It is on 180103 which is a complete set.

also I can confirm that 180110 is a 5 car set as I spent a Journey from Sunderland to York in January sitting in ihe repaired car.

Hope this helps

Seems like 180110 is going home today.
Confirming 110 has now gone, saw it on its way down the ECML earlier. Will miss the unit as it added a nice bit of variety :)

harz99

I certainly won't miss riding in 110, worn out interior with no WiFi, no hot catering, and seat numbering that doesn't match GCs own 180s...the only thing it had going for it was it got pax from A to B.