• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central HST Refurbishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admittedly the link starts off about GC's new offices in Sunderland. but what did catch my eye was the planned refurb's of the HST's which include new designs in 1st and standard class incl the Buffet. anyone know when or where the work will be done?. i do hope they keep the seating and don't change it for the high backed ones like on EC and FGW.:(

http://www.grandcentralrail.com/abo...central-rail-invests-in-north-east-operation/

Grand Central said:
“In addition to investment in new staff, new premises and the addition of a fifth daily service, Grand Central Rail is beginning a phased refurbishment of the fleet of High Speed Trains. This includes new designs to the First and Standard class carriages and the buffet carriage and a refresh to passenger toilets and vestibules.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cj_1985

this would be the first "major" level of investment in GC stock since purchase by DB/Arriva...

I wouldn't count on the seats being retained as they are at the moment... but then again given that for the most part the mk3s refurbished (and iirc modernised to meet DDR 2020 regs) seem to have retained the original style seats.

Its worth remembering that no matter what your personal feelings regarding seat styles used by the TOCs... they (the TOCs and ROSCOs) are only meeting specs forced on them by the EU for things like crashworthiness etc

Since the likes of FGW decided to maximise the number of seats in each carriage, they would have had to either had a mix of seat styles, or replace them all with compliant seat models... obviously they chose the latter to provide a standard design throughout all their HST carriages

Brunel

this would be the first "major" level of investment in GC stock since purchase by DB/Arriva...

I wouldn't count on the seats being retained as they are at the moment... but then again given that for the most part the mk3s refurbished (and iirc modernised to meet DDR 2020 regs) seem to have retained the original style seats.

Its worth remembering that no matter what your personal feelings regarding seat styles used by the TOCs... they (the TOCs and ROSCOs) are only meeting specs forced on them by the EU for things like crashworthiness etc

Since the likes of FGW decided to maximise the number of seats in each carriage, they would have had to either had a mix of seat styles, or replace them all with compliant seat models... obviously they chose the latter to provide a standard design throughout all their HST carriages

With reference to the the style of seats with regards to 'Euro Specs', I am curious as to why this seemingly doesn't apply to the day coaches on the Night Rivera or EMT HSTs? I assume it is to do with 'grandfather' rights? If you don't update, the orinals are fine?

cj_1985

With reference to the the style of seats with regards to 'Euro Specs', I am curious as to why this seemingly doesn't apply to the day coaches on the Night Rivera or EMT HSTs? I assume it is to do with 'grandfather' rights? If you don't update, the orinals are fine?

that's how I understand it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Meanwhile in West Yorkshire we continue with the 180s and their rather tired-looking FirstGroup interiors... Apologies for going slightly off-topic, but does anyone on here know which part of the 'West Riding' route is barred to HSTs? The only places I can think that it might be is the curve between Dryclough Junction and Greetland Junction near Halifax; or possibly the Askern line, as most other sections are used by other stock (freight or passenger) that would presumably be subject to the same restrictions.

Mr395008

Pretty certain the seats are staying, they just need adjustable arm rests. Work should commence in the next few months.

It's not that i don't like the high backed ones used by FGW i use them to travel to London when i go home. they're just not as comfortable as the older ones GC use. especially when i'm trying to sleep;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Meanwhile in West Yorkshire we continue with the 180s and their rather tired-looking FirstGroup interiors... Apologies for going slightly off-topic, but does anyone on here know which part of the 'West Riding' route is barred to HSTs?
No parts, as far as I know.
The only places I can think that it might be is the curve between Dryclough Junction and Greetland Junction near Halifax; or possibly the Askern line, as most other sections are used by other stock (freight or passenger) that would presumably be subject to the same restrictions.
An HST has operated on a Grand Central Bradford service.

As for the Askern line, that's regularly taken by the 2200 from King's Cross, and is used as a diversionary route.

Crossover

Established Member
No parts, as far as I know.
An HST has operated on a Grand Central Bradford service.

I'm sure I once asked about HSTs coming to Bradford in favour of a 180 and I'm sure someone said they couldn't go all the way to Bradford if they did

As for the Askern line, that's regularly taken by the 2200 from King's Cross, and is used as a diversionary route.

I have also been on an EC service that diverted from Westgate, down the curve, on through Kirkgate and along the Askern Line to Doncaster

route:oxford

Established Member
Admittedly the link starts off about GC's new offices in Sunderland. but what did catch my eye was the planned refurb's of the HST's which include new designs in 1st and standard class incl the Buffet. anyone know when or where the work will be done?. i do hope they keep the seating and don't change it for the high backed ones like on EC and FGW.:(

http://www.grandcentralrail.com/abo...central-rail-invests-in-north-east-operation/

Could this potentially mean power-door Mk3 HST trailers?

Should save a few vital seconds on station calls.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm sure I once asked about HSTs coming to Bradford in favour of a 180 and I'm sure someone said they couldn't go all the way to Bradford if they did

I have also been on an EC service that diverted from Westgate, down the curve, on through Kirkgate and along the Askern Line to Doncaster

I had heard the same thing about HSTs being barred from the Bradford service, and was not aware of any having being used on this route, hence my question. I know that several of the other routes around the Wakefield area are used as EC diversionary routes which was why my only suggestions for the point of contention were the ones I mentioned. I also know that not all the Bradford services operate via Pontefract and have at times of disruption, not run via the Calder Valley/Brighouse route- Could it be possible that when a HST was used in the past it was one of the services that would've been diverted away from wherever the restriction may have been anyway? I understand (though I could of course be mistaken) that the Askern line was not cleared for ANY passenger services prior to GC's Bradford services starting, which was why I had considered that a likely candidate.

Established Member
There was a HST used a few times last year King's Cross - Bradford and return to work out stopping points on the platforms, and to judge clearance. Paul Bigland had some good pictures on his website.

Sir_Clagalot

going OT here, to quote Leanne Maskell on there, "ive been here since the beginning", er, no you havent, you joined in 2009/10, whereas I started in 2007 and you were no where to be seen!!

ash39

Established Member
Regardless of whether the HST's were cleared to Bradford or not, surely the ones they have are tied up on the Sunderland services?

Unless there's any likelihood of them receiving any extra HST's as a result of IEP from FGW or East Coast, it makes sense to keep the 180's on the Bradford trains.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Regardless of whether the HST's were cleared to Bradford or not, surely the ones they have are tied up on the Sunderland services?

Unless there's any likelihood of them receiving any extra HST's as a result of IEP from FGW or East Coast, it makes sense to keep the 180's on the Bradford trains.

I suppose it does, but I'd say the 180s are due a refresh more urgently than the HST trailers!

cj_1985

I suppose it does, but I'd say the 180s are due a refresh more urgently than the HST trailers!

well, taking a tab in the dark here... but probably once the HST stock has been dealt with, the class 180s will get some attention...

During any sort of refurb/refresh program or overhaul the stock being worked on will have to have its duties covered...

in this case, most likely by class 180s...

the HST stock with GC has been in service longer, so is probably viewed as needing attention to certain areas more than the class 180s that received a fair amount of mechanical work over the last 2 years (give or take)...

most likely its just a matter of time till the 180s get some attention, especially if they are key to the long term operation of GC and its services

Last edited:

The first HST on a Bradford service, in 2010, only ran as far as Wakey Kirkgate, as at the time HST's were not cleared to Bradford.

There has been one subsequent Bradford service operated by HST, on 17th July 2012, on that occasion the HST did work all the way to Bradford.

Status
Not open for further replies.