• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Granola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Condor7

Well I can't comment on it's origins, but even in the sleepy back waters of Cumbria I have been eating it on and off for years. :)

Smudger105e

I think that is the advertising slogan for only one manufacturer's granola. Others make granola cereal and granola cereal bars. Although what a granola is is a mystery to me and, I guess PS too.

michael769

Established Member
Granola is rolled oats, nuts and honey (sometimes with other ingredients added). It is basically baked and sweetened museli.

It was invented in the US in the late 19th century and the name was originally a trademark, however it is now a generic term (it is still a trademark in Australia). It was indeed an American thing, never really taking off in Europe, however it does seem to be starting to appear on UK supermarket shelves of late.

It comes with a bit of a health warning, it's seriously high in sugar and fat, Kellogg's Fruit and Nut granola has almost 4 times the fat by weight than oven chips!

Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
I spend a lot of time staying in hotels and the breakfast choice always seems to have a dedicated section for Granola. Not that I mind! I would agree that it seems more of an American thing (although not for me what with the hotel breakfasts), but it's becoming more popular.

Condor7

If I have a fruit salad, I like to add a small amount of low fat crème fresh and I sprinkle some granola on top, it gives a nice crunch to it all. :p

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Thanks to all who have made postings upon the matter. I must have lived a somewhat sheltered existence not to have the in-depth knowledge of this product. However, what one of my sons laughingly said, on hearing that I had opened this thread, about my thinking that Granola was a Mediterranean island owned by Spain has no truth in it whatsoever...:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.