• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grayling failing to get it, again

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastdyke

Established Member
Grayling is continually failing but is really a symptom of the political system in that (apart from HS2) there is no long term cross-party vision for transport in this country over the coming decades. Transport secretaries come and go at regular intervals, often reversing previous policies and cancelling projects in favour of their own pet schemes. Transport is still not even seen as important enough for the TS to be a member of the Cabinet despite its impact on the daily lives of millions.
Really? Has there been a change?
Gov.UK lists The Secretary of State for Transport as 1 of 23 Cabinet Ministers (23 including the PM).
https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers#cabinet-ministers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic08

On Moderation
Am I missing something?
Chris Grayling went to Saudi Arabia in April this year and signed some sort of deal relating to transport investment. I seem to remember that there was some criticism on this board at the time for his leaving the UK ‘when the rail system was in crisis’, etc.
(To be quite clear, I am not expressing any view on the suitability of otherwise of any regime or nation as development partners.)
Was he trying to sell them electrification?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Transport is still not even seen as important enough for the TS to be a member of the Cabinet despite its impact on the daily lives of millions.

Yes it is.
At times it has been merged with other departments, but there has always been a cabinet post responsible for transport (since 1919).

SoS for Transport has always had a seat at the top table and the word transport has always been in their job title apart from 1970-1976 when it fell under the Dept for Environment. But even then there was someone 'in charge' of transport at the top table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_of_State_for_Transport#Minister_of_Transport_(1919–1941)

In Wales there has always been an individual at the Cabinet Table with responsibility for Transport, but they've often had the word transport omitted from their job title (two of the last four in fact).

keith1879

My expectation is that HS2 will get canned if leaving the EU proves to be as costly to the nation as it may be. Please note that I express no opinion or preference about either of these two projects - just an expectation about funding issues.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

snowball

Established Member
My expectation is that HS2 will get canned if leaving the EU proves to be as costly to the nation as it may be. Please note that I express no opinion or preference about either of these two projects - just an expectation about funding issues.
Phase 1 must be approaching the stage at which it would be more difficult to halt it than continue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.