• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Britain XlV railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Can't see any? Starts this Friday!

Do the timings tend to get confirmed at the last minute?

alexl92

Established Member
It might just be me, but I'm sure the list of locos used on the GB is much bigger/more varied. I'm not complaining as LMS locos are the best for me, but I'm just wondering if it's more to do with there being a smaller number of locomotives in active mainline service at the moment?

I'm surprised not to see even 34067 involved for example.

Established Member
Do you have a link for the Friday working?

ryan125hst

Established Member
There must have been a change of route on the first day of the tour. The information on Railway Touring Company's website says:

You continue along the ECML and pass through Little Bytham, where LNER A4 Pacific ‘Mallard’ achieved the world speed record for steam traction descending Stoke Bank in 1938. Grantham, Newark and Retford fly by as you near Doncaster, the ancestral home of such famous locomotives as ‘Flying Scotsman’ and ‘Mallard’.
However, the Realtime Trains data suggests the tour was instead routed via Sleaford, Lincoln and Gainsborough Lea Road instead: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U91171/2022-04-22/detailed

It seems that railtours passing though, or calling at, Retford are increasingly rare now. Is this caused by pathing issues on the Doncaster to Peterborough section?

geoffk

Established Member
Running from Cardiff to Penzance with 6233 Duchess of Sutherland today, with a break of nearly 2 hours in Exeter. The class 47 followed light engine. Not as many photographers out as I was expecting, seeing that it's the first main line steam of 2022 in the south west.

Established Member
Running from Cardiff to Penzance with 6233 Duchess of Sutherland today, with a break of nearly 2 hours in Exeter. The class 47 followed light engine. Not as many photographers out as I was expecting, seeing that it's the first main line steam of 2022 in the south west.
How’s the steam loco getting turned at Penzance to work back Saturday? Is there a turntable down that way?

geoffk

Established Member
How’s the steam loco getting turned at Penzance to work back Saturday? Is there a turntable down that way?
All the way back to Laira and turns on the triangle. Probably the whole train with diesel leading both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.