• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British Railways - Competition for new location of GBR Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
The only thing I'd disagree with is "dirt cheap" house prices. I seem to recall headlines about Derby having seen one of the highest house price inflation rates in recent years.

All off-topic anyway. I just want to see the RTC back in its former glory.

Mugby

Established Member
I don't suppose it's known yet whether a new office block will be built, some existing vacant office space in the city will be sourced or if there's still any existing railway building which might be rehabilitated....Midland House, Nelson Street for instance!

zwk500

Veteran Member
I don't suppose it's known yet whether a new office block will be built, some existing vacant office space in the city will be sourced or if there's still any existing railway building which might be rehabilitated....Midland House, Nelson Street for instance!
Doubt it's known for sure but if there's an available office space I'd be surprised if it didn't get used.

DDB

The rumour is the branch to Matlock only survived because so many people used it to commute to various railway offices in Derby.

Alternativly lots of younger people commute to various jobs in Derby from Nottingham which while it isn't London has more going on than Derby.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I have friends in Derby who are hoping that this will lead to an upturn in the city’s fortunes. There’s an air of neglect in the city centre and it is hoped that, with this good news, those in charge of the running of the city can swing into action and give Derby a wider and much-needed boost.

I can well imagine that, psychologically, awarding this to Derby will have a much bigger effect than had it gone to Birmingham, York or Leeds - and certainly Manchester - cities with a lot more going on where the arrival of GBR would just be another 'plop' in the pond. So I hope they do latch on and make the best of it.
The rumour is the branch to Matlock only survived because so many people used it to commute to various railway offices in Derby.
Not sure that was true in 1968, but it seemed plausible within a couple of years, with the decision to re-open the closed stations.

Mugby

Established Member
I'm doubtful about that.
I think the real reason why the Matlock branch survived was because the headquarters of Derbyshire County Council are at Matlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.