• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British Railways: Naming suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidknibb

Years ago - some private rail companies were given nicknames derived from the first letters of the name of the company.
Hence the LNER was the Late and Never Early Railway
The GWR was variously The Great Way Round or God's Wonderful Railway
And many other names were invented, often a cruel reflection on the service the company offered.

So now the challenge is to find a better naming for the newly created 'Great British Railways'.
What might GBR really stand for I wonder?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davidknibb

Years ago - some private rail companies were given nicknames derived from the first letters of the name of the company.
And many other names were invented, often a cruel reflection on the service the company offered.

So now the challenge is to find a better naming for the newly created 'Great British Railways'.
Grim/Ghastly bus replacements

randyrippley

Established Member
diverging from the topic slightly, I'd call it either
Rail Britannia or
Albion Rail

bramling

Veteran Member

Personally I'd just go for British Railways. I know this is politically sensitive, but only for people over about 45.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
If we were going for alternative names I would go for 'Transport for Great Britain', that way Transport for Wales would fit nicely under it and it could include all forms of transport rather than just railways.

On a sillier note: Great Bumbling Railways!

Please no-one take offence from that!

Wolfie

Established Member

Gormless BoZo's Rubbish

diverging from the topic slightly, I'd call it either
Rail Britannia or
Albion Rail
If and only if it only applied to England then the last suggestion would be appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.