• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'd like to visit the railway during the week of 15th to 18th July including, if possible, a trip along the Mountsorrel Branch.

However, the web site only gives details for the current month, which seems to be their usual practice. Does anyone know what the services are likely to be in July, please? Is it worth me ringing the railway and asking them - or will they say that nothing has been planned at this stage?

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merry

I'd like to visit the railway during the week of 15th to 18th July including, if possible, a trip along the Mountsorrel Branch.

However, the web site only gives details for the current month, which seems to be their usual practice. Does anyone know what the services are likely to be in July, please? Is it worth me ringing the railway and asking them - or will they say that nothing has been planned at this stage?

Thank you.
You could indeed ring up. I am pretty sure there is published data further in advance, but it might take more finding!

From what i can see, the current plan suggests no service 15-16 July, a light 2 train service 17 July, and similar with added Mountsorrel branch running planned for Thu 18 July. Mountsorrel is also running on Sun 14 July.

Hope the above helps, n.b. details are likely subject to tweaks as always! - running days are in the website calendar if you hunt them down but it is not always as user friendly as it might be...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks for your help.

I have now found the details that you've given, although they are very well hidden - and with no actual train times! The snag is that if I am in the area that week, I was planning to visit two other heritage lines on 17th & 18th July - and they only operate on those days! I'll give them a ring, though, and check this information.

If it is as it seems, though, I think that I need to follow the Fagin rule .... "I think I'd better think it out again!".

Thanks for your help.

I have now found the details that you've given, although they are very well hidden - and with no actual train times! The snag is that if I am in the area that week, I was planning to visit two other heritage lines on 17th & 18th July - and they only operate on those days! I'll give them a ring, though, and check this information.

If it is as it seems, though, I think that I need to follow the Fagin rule .... "I think I'd better think it out again!".
Yes, I've rung them now, and they have confirmed that they're only running on 17th & 18th July.

This will rule them out for the reasons above, so more thinking is necessary. I've passed on my concern about the difficulties I've had with their web site and also that the actual train services are very difficult to find, but whether or not it will have any effect, I don't know.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

merry

Just FYI, for anyone else looking to visit GCR over the summer, the typical pattern is:
- Mon / Tue: closed (for testing hire, TOC training, or engineering).
- Wed & Thu: public running day
- Fri: Drive-a-train experiences - no public service.
- Sat & Sun: public running
- Some Thursdays & Sundays include Mountsorrel branch.
- Dining services of some type run some Thursday lunches, most Fri & Sat eve, and Sat & Sun lunches.

Of course, special events can change this, e.g. Steam to Mountsorrel is Wed to Sun public running, with services hoped to run Sat to Sun all night. So do check the calendar, this post is only a rough guide!

Sorry this doesn't meet everyone's preference, it is based around what seems commercially the most effective balance. It is interesting that other lines also run Wed and Thu, and probably no surprise that Mon and Tue are less popular with the public for days out!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks for your help.

I understand that heritage railways have to operate at the times that are most beneficial for them, and have no objection to it. However, what I was slightly miffed about is that I found it very difficult to find that information on the website which, to my mind, isn't very user friendly.

ryan125hst

Established Member
However, what I was slightly miffed about is that I found it very difficult to find that information on the website which, to my mind, isn't very user friendly.
I've noticed that information isn't very clear this year. While I tend to visit only on gala days, as a Friend of the Great Central Main Line, I like to keep an eye on what is going on on the railway. They used to put up a calendar showing the running days covering a few months, and the timetable for each running day during these. In fact pre-Covid (before I became a Friend) it seems they used to produce a PDF showing the calendar and timetable for the season (I was looking back on the Web Archive out of interest a few weeks back). Looking at the Timetables & Fares page as I write this, I can only see details of the running days for this weekend, the Bank Holiday weekend and the last weekend in May written as text, with the first two weekends containing links to timetables.

To me, this isn't particularly useful to potential customers as it prevents them from planning a visit to the railway much in advance. merry, that pattern you have shared is useful but of course few members of the public will view this thread. I don't know whether running days and timetables are being confirmed last minute this year or whether they are already set for the season, but I really think it should be put up on the website for the rest of the year (special events excluded as obviously these have amended timetables) if possible.

It's a shame as I've seen the GCR add some great things recently that seems to be bringing in much needed revenue for the railway (driver for a tenner, chance to ride in the cab of diesel locos, more Mountsorrel branch running, combined event with the GCR(N) etc.) but this, to me, potentially counters all of these great things and could result in a drop in revenue as it may put people off.

The PDF timetables, while providing the required information, don't look as good visually as what was displayed last year either. I understand that some staff have been made redundant to cut costs and so perhaps this is an effect of this, but it is in complete contrast to the booklets that are still produced for the events which have been excellent this year - the diesel gala one a few weeks ago looking particularly good.

If there is someone I should contact with this feedback then let me know and I will get in touch. I visit the GCR several times a year now since first attending back in January 2020 and I would love to provide useful feedback to help them in times where I know heritage railways are struggling.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Ryan
You make several very good points and I'm sure the GCR will appreciate your feedback. However there have been quite a few staff changes recently and I don't know who you should contact apart from just going direct to Malcolm Holmes (the General Manager). I'm sure there is a contact e mail address on the publicity/website.

railfan99

Established Member
To me, this isn't particularly useful to potential customers as it prevents them from planning a visit to the railway much in advance.

Having visited GCR on a Steam Gala Day in the last 18 months, it's a great heritage railway.

But I agree, although Flying Phil previously said information we sought was buried on the website. Overseas visitors like me are probably one in 1000 passengers if that, but heartening to know that some locals like you (80km away) also need to plan in advance.

The other criticism is the website ont GCR uses is too small. Macular degeneration affects many.

It's annoying that GCR doesn't at least operate to Mountsorrel every Saturday and Sunday it's running 'GCR main line' trains. I appreciate it's had redundancies, and it cannot afford to each year make a GBP500,000 loss, but the short branch working (that I've yet to do) adds significantly to the experience, especially if it's a 1960s DMU operating.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Hi Ryan
You make several very good points and I'm sure the GCR will appreciate your feedback. However there have been quite a few staff changes recently and I don't know who you should contact apart from just going direct to Malcolm Holmes (the General Manager). I'm sure there is a contact e mail address on the publicity/website.
Thanks Phil, I will have a look and get in touch.
It's annoying that GCR doesn't at least operate to Mountsorrel every Saturday and Sunday it's running 'GCR main line' trains. I appreciate it's had redundancies, and it cannot afford to each year make a GBP500,000 loss, but the short branch working (that I've yet to do) adds significantly to the experience, especially if it's a 1960s DMU operating.
It's only recently that they have started running on the Mountsorrel branch again and from what I understand they are running services down it far more frequently this year than they have in the past.

railfan99

Established Member
This extract from GCR's 'Rail Mail' shows the value of using social media:

"...In the past month we ran a paid social media campaign to promote our ‘local residents special offer’ during our Open Extravaganza. Where local residents could enjoy special fares of just £12.50 each and add up to 3 kids for a quid!

The Great Central Open Extravaganza was a tremendous success, thanks to this paid marketing campaign. We saw 82% of attendees as first-time visitors, demonstrating the effectiveness of this targeted campaign. We sold 629 tickets online and earned 5,083 link clicks, with our ads making 229,983 total impressions and reaching 96,165 unique accounts..."

So roughly GBP8000 in extra revenue: I assume that's pleasing, and is in addition to 'regular passengers' not qualifying for the local residents' offer.

eyebrook1961

This extract from GCR's 'Rail Mail' shows the value of using social media:

"...In the past month we ran a paid social media campaign to promote our ‘local residents special offer’ during our Open Extravaganza. Where local residents could enjoy special fares of just £12.50 each and add up to 3 kids for a quid!

The Great Central Open Extravaganza was a tremendous success, thanks to this paid marketing campaign. We saw 82% of attendees as first-time visitors, demonstrating the effectiveness of this targeted campaign. We sold 629 tickets online and earned 5,083 link clicks, with our ads making 229,983 total impressions and reaching 96,165 unique accounts..."

So roughly GBP8000 in extra revenue: I assume that's pleasing, and is in addition to 'regular passengers' not qualifying for the local residents' offer.
It's pleasing as long as the "paid social media campaign" cost less than the extra income . . .

railfan99

Established Member
It's pleasing as long as the "paid social media campaign" cost less than the extra income . . .

Agreed. A site called semrush has a long article ("How much do Google ads really cost? 2024 analysis") that covers the subject. I thought it was simple: not so. I've not attached a link as OT, but any heritage railway personnel tasked with marketing ideally should be familiar with SEO and how to effectively digitally advertise special events and their railway generally.

Iskra

Established Member
Agreed. A site called semrush has a long article ("How much do Google ads really cost? 2024 analysis") that covers the subject. I thought it was simple: not so. I've not attached a link as OT, but any heritage railway personnel tasked with marketing ideally should be familiar with SEO and how to effectively digitally advertise special events and their railway generally.
A targeted facebook or google advert for the geographical area around the railway for a week or two would probably be around £300-400 in my experience of having used them before.

Of course, engaging local people is great because it’s easier for them to return and if they had a positive experience, you’re likely to get free word of mouth advertising, which could bring even more passengers.

railfan99

Established Member
A targeted facebook or google advert for the geographical area around the railway for a week or two would probably be around £300-400 in my experience of having used them before.

Let's say it cost GCR GBP500 (being conservative). It's had at least a 16-fold increase in revenue versus the Google cost. Impressive, although GCR would have had extra costs such as possibly having to add an extra carriage (if it could fit the platform length, an important consideration buttressed by the accident with the gent). Extra cars increase coal consumption.

Iskra

Established Member
Let's say it cost GCR GBP500 (being conservative). It's had at least a 16-fold increase in revenue versus the Google cost. Impressive, although GCR would have had extra costs such as possibly having to add an extra carriage (if it could fit the platform length, an important consideration buttressed by the accident with the gent). Extra cars increase coal consumption.
Yes, but you’d also get additional on the day spend too at the catering/retail outlets.

Mr. SW

A couple of days ago.
Austerity 0-6-0ST Ayr No.18 on a shunt/crew training movement at Loughborough 28/05/2024 View from Beeches Road Bridge.
20240528_153332.jpg

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
There isn't a loop at Mountsorrel, so was it hauled back by a diesel?

Was this a public train - how many used it?
Looks like the 0-6-0 with the bunker facing the camera is shunting stock? Special public trains going to Mountsorrel would be top-and-tailed.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There was a class 20 on the other end as it is a public service and was well patronised on the Wednesday from what I saw. It is a school half term week and so there are daily services along the branch line.
DSC03568 smaller.JPG

railfan99

Established Member
Again, looks (for non technical individuals) a classy job. Authentic colour scheme. Opinion might be divided as to whether it requires 'weathering'.

The previous photo had excellent protective tarps over carriages due for restoration. Better than ugly lines of junk observed at some museums or preserved railways worldwide.

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks Railfan
We did consider painted weathering but, as we have 30 16t mineral wagons, they are naturally weathering before we can get them repainted! We are trying to get all 30 operational ( now got 25 ish), then have two per year going through the works.

Belperpete

Established Member
This was running yesterday about to go up the Mountsorrel branch from Rothley.View attachment 159016
I noticed that the track at Rothley that those tarped coaches are standing on has been disconnected from the rest of the railway. Is that a permanent thing? Use a crane to lift them onto the running line when their turn for restoration finally comes?

Flying Phil

Established Member
That siding at Rothley was originally installed with a point at its south end but three years ago that point was removed to be replaced by a point at the North end - we are still awaiting it to be installed but there has been a lot of S & T installation work done.
This change will also help when we get to install double track to Leicester North.