• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Coastal Rail Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
It really should not be called ‘Great Coastal Railway Journeys’ (or similar title). A lot of the journeys are not what you could describe as “great”. Usually these programmes tell people little or nothing about the railway - as shown in the Barry episode where the Porthkerry viaduct was not even shown. Even a shot of a 170 going between Newport and Cardiff on a single track was all wrong. It is obvious that these programmes are not made by people with a real interest or knowledge of the railways. Little geographical knowledge is imparted - for instance, it could have been mentioned that between Severn Tunnel Junction and Cardiff, the railway crosses a coastal plain made up of farmland crossed by teens (drainage ditches but the American spell checker keeps putting teens) and that the land was first drained by the Romans.

Much of the content is of interest but at Atlantic College, I would have mentioned that St.Donats Castle was once owned by American newspaper millionaire Randolph Hearst. Perhaps the title of the programme should be ‘Wanderings Around Britain by Train’ as so little content is to do with the railways.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

woolos

The 170 was traveling between Crosskeys newbidge which is a single line.at the present due to double in 2023 . the service is are normally work by 170.

Calthrop

Established Member
Little geographical knowledge is imparted - for instance, it could have been mentioned that between Severn Tunnel Junction and Cardiff, the railway crosses a coastal plain made up of farmland crossed by teens (drainage ditches but the American spell checker keeps putting teens) and that the land was first drained by the Romans.

Getting off the essential topic; but -- clarification requested, about this "teen" thing? -- the above-quoted puzzles me, and dictionaries -- paper or on-line -- give no help. On the other side of the Bristol Channel, in Somerset, I gather that a drainage ditch is called a "rhine" -- pronounced "reen"; but that is probably neither here nor there.

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
Getting off the essential topic; but -- clarification requested, about this "teen" thing? -- the above-quoted puzzles me, and dictionaries -- paper or on-line -- give no help. On the other side of the Bristol Channel, in Somerset, I gather that a drainage ditch is called a "rhine" -- pronounced "reen"; but that is probably neither here nor there.
Well, I am pleased to see that you got it to spell the word as I intended - which is how these ditches are spelt in SE Wales. If interested, readers can click the link for the Google map which shows the railway just south of Marshfield and the Blackwater Reen. :>

Envoy

Established Member
More sloppy editing in Wednesday’s episode. “From Swansea I am travelling to Gowerton which opens up for me the northern shores of the spectacular Gower peninsula”. The shots that match these words are MP travelling in the train along what looks like the electrified stretch between Newport and Cardiff. This is followed by shots of the rugged SOUTH Gower coast and the west facing bay at Rhossili.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
True, but that's what any of these programmes are, travelogues which happen to use trains. However, I found the section on the Severn Bridges (Monday 21st) fascinating, with extensive coverage of the monorail below the second bridge, which I had no idea even existed.
Same here, that was a genuine revelation for me

Envoy

Established Member
So, on Thursday we end up looking at Pembroke Castle. On Friday, our opening shots are of Michael on a 175 heading into Milford Haven. Are we honestly to believe that he travelled east along the south Pembrokeshire line all the way back to Whitland in order to travel west again to Milford Haven - which is only about 2 miles across the estuary from Pembroke? (Best timing for such a rail journey is 1 hour 42 minutes). Surely, it would have been more sensible for him to cross the bridge to Neyland?

Talking of Neyland - this place was completely ignored. OK, I know it is no longer on the railway but it was the place that Brunel decided to have his port for the GWR to connect with vessels going west. (See my attached photos of Brunel’s state in Neyland). It does not say much for the researchers that they completely missed this! https://www.neyland.org.uk/history-of-neyland/
"Most of the buildings were levelled by the Railway Company between 1855/1856. Once the railway opened, an entirely new Neyland grew up, near to the all important railway. The choice of Neyland as the terminus of the railway was entirely that of Isambard Kingdom Brunel ~(1806-1859). It is therefore highly appropriate that he is regarded as the founder of Neyland Town".
On arrival in Milford Haven, we had a sequence with the Harbour Master talking about the port. Then, oddly, we were taken back to the south side of the estuary and Pembroke Dock to see people engaged in a sea energy project. Surely, that should have been the start of Friday’s programme, then over to Neyland and Milford Haven before leaving by train for Haverfordwest?

Attachments

• 69a NEYLAND - CLEDDAU BRIDGE & IKB w.jpeg
    69a NEYLAND - CLEDDAU BRIDGE & IKB w.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 69b NEYLAND - STATUE OF BRUNEL.jpeg
    69b NEYLAND - STATUE OF BRUNEL.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
To be fair, Portillo's series of programmes have essentially always been regional travelogues aimed at the general viewer; and whilst using the railway to interconnect between some of the locations shown has been a recurring leitmotif, the programmes have never really been primarily focussed on the national railway network as such.

Calthrop

Established Member
Well, I am pleased to see that you got it to spell the word as I intended - which is how these ditches are spelt in SE Wales. If interested, readers can click the link for the Google map which shows the railway just south of Marshfield and the Blackwater Reen. :>

Belatedly -- thanks ! My spell-checker is, fortunately, "overrideable".

Trivia about these things, in Somerset: there's a local rhyme about the battle of Sedgemoor and associated tragic events, including the word "rhine" in the sense concerned; but confusingly -- to make the thing rhyme properly, it has to be pronounced like the German river !

daodao

Established Member
To be fair, Portillo's series of programmes have essentially always been regional travelogues aimed at the general viewer; and whilst using the railway to interconnect between some of the locations shown has been a recurring leitmotif, the programmes have never really been primarily focussed on the national railway network as such.
However, previous series have generally followed an actual rail route. in this latest series, Portillo has jumped about, visiting places without current rail stations in no logical sequence, including islands not served by rai.

Mikey C

Established Member
However, previous series have generally followed an actual rail route. in this latest series, Portillo has jumped about, visiting places without current rail stations in no logical sequence, including islands not served by rai.
There's still a general journey though, in this week's episodes, Avonmouth to Fishguard.

He's always visited places not on the rail network, but in the wider region. It would be a really dull programme otherwise

Envoy

Established Member
These programmes I gather, are shown abroad and some people - even in this country, might think that the way he does it is how things really are on the ground.

BrandanM

Are all carriage doors push-button open/close now?. Watching some of the early 'Great British Railway Journeys' programmes from a few years ago I've noticed that some of the trains Michael Portillo is travelling on have handle operated opening. I've only ever encountered push-button.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Are all carriage doors push-button open/close now?. Watching some of the early 'Great British Railway Journeys' programmes from a few years ago I've noticed that some of the trains Michael Portillo is travelling on have handle operated opening. I've only ever encountered push-button.
Sure he wasn't travelling on some heritage railway?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Probably Mark 3 stock?
"Great Britain Train Journeys" has been airing since early 2010. Been at least 13 series, excluding all the various spin-off variants and overseas series.

Saying that one episode maybe included a shot of Portillo from a train with a handle-operated door hardly narrows it down.

BrandanM

Sure he wasn't travelling on some heritage railway?

I'm pretty sure it's when he was alighting from normal scheduled services. I'm afraid I can't be more specific about the stock because I don't have the knowledge you guys do, but I've been watching some of the repeats on the 'Yesterday' channel and it got me wondering if this was around the time that manual door operation was being phased out completely?.

DelW

Established Member
I'm pretty sure it's when he was alighting from normal scheduled services. I'm afraid I can't be more specific about the stock because I don't have the knowledge you guys do, but I've been watching some of the repeats on the 'Yesterday' channel and it got me wondering if this was around the time that manual door operation was being phased out completely?.
Well GWR were running HSTs with slam doors, outside handles and drop light windows until 2019, so it could well have been on one of those. Towards the end, it wasn't unusual to be waiting to get off behind passengers who weren't used to them and couldn't see how to open the door.

I think only a few non-standard services like the Night Riviera and Jacobite have non push button doors now.

Status
Not open for further replies.