• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Fleet - 379s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
Since when does Porterbrook own the 30 379s? I assumed it was still Akiem.
The deal is with Porterbrook, either they bought them of Akiem or are subleasing from (or managing the asset) for Akiem.
Here is the award £50,112,000 for 30 class 379s

Good to see.
So the 379 confirmation was duly called. Only the rest to pan out now…

Which bit was wrong? The 379 bit?
That's still a lot to "pan out". The 379s have been speculated for GN on here for years and they fit the 30x4 car Great Northern bid perfectly. It isn't some shocking fleet development.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I don't think there is any evidence of 40 377s to Southeastern. It sounds like it could be as little as the 15 377/2s, as it's 377/7s only (to be confirmed) on Watford trains shortly, if not already. You've got the benefit of the entire fleet of 707s in squadron service, as well as the 376s for the 10-car railway (albeit a lot of Southeastern isn't a 10 car railway, it's 8 car on the Chatham or 12 car on the Charing Cross sides, save for Woolwich Dockyard and Hayes (?)).

Don't forget, on the main line you don't have extra peak services from Blackfriars as you once did, the Cannon Street to Thanet trains aren't all 12 car, and so one has to surmise that Southeastern doesn't need it's full fleet of 465/466 units (especially as Crossrail now does a lot of heavy lifting). The Networker fleet also harks back to a time when Metro went to Gillingham, which it doesn't anymore. It went to Faversham, Tunbridge Wells - this will all change / has changed.
I am surprised that South Eastern has not culled its fleet like SWR and Southern. The whole of the South Eastern metro used to be 10 car, except trains to Blackfriars and Victoria. Some routes were extended to 12 cars in the 1990s but very few 12 cars actually run. Terminating trains at Tunbridge Wells are 10 car max. South Eastern only has 10 three car 375s so limited scope to make 10 car formations with them. I'm not sure what the three cars are used on now. Strood to Paddock Wood and possibly Sittingbourne to Sheerness?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member

Bikeman78

Established Member
The 717 utilisation borders on ridiculous. I forget the numbers, but a massive proportion of the fleet goes away between the peaks, in the evenings and at weekends. And a good number don’t even leave the depot each day at all.

They’d probably be more suitably deployed on peak Peterborough services as 12 cars compared to Letchworth or Cambridge though.

ISTR the fleet was sized for the full 2018 inners timetable, with the intention of some further peak extras appearing at some point.
The 2018 timetable worked by 313s required 18 trains off peak and 21 in the peaks. Assuming two are stopped each day then there would only be two spare 717s if that timetable had continued. Presumably the plan was a slight increase in peak workings.

D365

Veteran Member
… believe it when I see it?

Or am I too cynical?

Fincra5

Established Member
Be under no illusion, there's a bit of work to do to these units to get them fit for service with the GN.

For ages they were class XXX even internally .

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Spending one‘s life waiting for LIAR is not wise…
In fairness, over the few days in which you've been on the forum and made a large number of assertions, I don't remember seeing a credible source to back them up from you, either? :)

Be under no illusion, there's a bit of work to do to these units to get them fit for service with the GN.

For ages they were class XXX even internally .
I wonder if we can expect a minor cosmetic refresh before they enter service too. The 2+1 first class area would eat quite a lot of capacity for services that currently leave King's Cross full and standing as 387s. Mind you, the 387s have first class too, I suppose. I forget that with how little difference there is between the two classes in that particular case.

Kite159

Veteran Member
In fairness, over the few days in which you've been on the forum and made a large number of assertions, I don't remember seeing a credible source to back them up from you, either? :)

I wonder if we can expect a minor cosmetic refresh before they enter service too. The 2+1 first class area would eat quite a lot of capacity for services that currently leave King's Cross full and standing as 387s. Mind you, the 387s have first class too, I suppose. I forget that with how little difference there is between the two classes in that particular case.
Is there much in the way of First Class demand on the Great Northern route in the current climate?
How many of the passengers you see sat in first class on a full & standing service simply are chancing it with a standard class ticket knowing a revenue check is unlikely.

jon0844

Veteran Member

If you're going to keep first class, it should be a bit better than on the 387s. Otherwise get rid of it entirely.

The thing is, if trains are going to go back to being cramped then this means first class might become worthwhile.

gabrielhj07

If you're going to keep first class, it should be a bit better than on the 387s. Otherwise get rid of it entirely.

The thing is, if trains are going to go back to being cramped then this means first class might become worthwhile.
If they do nothing to the 379s first class then it'll be fine. Much better than the 387.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If they do nothing to the 379s first class then it'll be fine. Much better than the 387.
Yes, I think it will likely stay as is. Makes little sense to spend loads of money changing the internal layout.

I wonder if they'll get the colour displays and power sockets with USB-A ports though, albeit not immediately?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Yes, I think it will likely stay as is. Makes little sense to spend loads of money changing the internal layout.
On the contrary, keeping first class in that area on the 379s means both a reduction in first class capacity, and standard class capacity. Question really is whether there are some suitable standard class seats in storage to replace the first class ones.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
That is kind of my point, it’s natural that any train is going to accrue some level of obsolescence. In the case of the Networker fleets this doesn’t seem to have been managed effectively.
Not according to Modern Railways golden spanner awards they were 3rd to 6th most reliable ex BR units being over twice as reliable as 323 and outperformed plenty of more modern EMUs.

By chance had a 465/0 on a Rochester to Victoria service earlier which was in reasonable condition although the newish accessible WC ironically shows what could be achieved with a refurbishment. Rode far better at speed than a jittery electrostar.

OneOfThe48

Well they have been sat in a field for however many years haven't they?

Hopefully they're in good nick but I'd be surprised if they haven't developed some gremlins over that time.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There’s been loads of speculation in this thread but it’s too complicated to separate in reality. Now that there’s some firm news though, can we concentrate on that please.

Thank you. :)

bramling

Veteran Member

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some reconfiguring of the seating, to make the layout the same as on the 387s. Though of course the ideal would be to put first in the sections adjacent to both cabs.

Would it be feasible to swap the seats with the 387/2s? Not that I’m suggesting it by any means at all, however this would give something better for the Gatwick services whilst keeping the 387/1s and 379s uniform.

skyhigh

Established Member
Well they have been sat in a field for however many years haven't they?

Hopefully they're in good nick but I'd be surprised if they haven't developed some gremlins over that time.
They've not just been sat, they've still been going out under the wires and through routine maintenance to keep them fit to work.

D365

Veteran Member
They've not just been sat, they've still been going out under the wires and through routine maintenance to keep them fit to work.
routine maintenance and cleaning I would hope!

Sussex Ben

Would it be feasible to swap the seats with the 387/2s? Not that I’m suggesting it by any means at all, however this would give something better for the Gatwick services whilst keeping the 387/1s and 379s uniform.
As a frequent Gatwick Express user, I wholeheartedly support this proposal :lol:

43102EMR

Established Member
On the contrary, keeping first class in that area on the 379s means both a reduction in first class capacity, and standard class capacity. Question really is whether there are some suitable standard class seats in storage to replace the first class ones.
The majority of people in first class don’t even pay for it, and even then that’s a very small number who actually use it. I personally don’t think it will make much of a difference if it’s retained.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The majority of people in first class don’t even pay for it, and even then that’s a very small number who actually use it. I personally don’t think it will make much of a difference if it’s retained.
It is the reduction in standard class seats that may be more telling.

westcoaster

Established Member
When we learnt the 387/1's on the Thameslink route, it was a one day course.
From a drivers point of view it was just subtle differences from the 377's we already drove nothing major was introduced. Can see the same with the 379's.

Theoretically the 377/6/7, 387/1/2/3, and 379 is the same basic product with slight variations.

43102EMR

Established Member
When we learnt the 387/1's on the Thameslink route, it was a one day course.
From a drivers point of view it was just subtle differences from the 377's we already drove nothing major was introduced. Can see the same with the 379's.
Especially as the 387s are directly derived from the 379s