• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Fleet - 379s

RailWonderer

Established Member
The majority of people in first class don’t even pay for it, and even then that’s a very small number who actually use it. I personally don’t think it will make much of a difference if it’s retained.
If GN start using revenue inspectors like GA do in the off peak then we could see more enforcement of first. Thameslink use them so I don't see why they can't put them on GN as well to. Plus the 379s have a sumptuous first class seat and provided they don't get rid of them I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in first class ticket sales when regulars or semi-regular users discover them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
Well they have been sat in a field for however many years haven't they?

Hopefully they're in good nick but I'd be surprised if they haven't developed some gremlins over that time.
The last run was about two years ago but I cannot recall the exact date. They were gradually taken out of service towards the end of 2021. By January 2022 most trains were 720s with 317s filling in the gaps.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
If GN start using revenue inspectors like GA do in the off peak then we could see more enforcement of first. Thameslink use them so I don't see why they can't put them on GN as well to. Plus the 379s have a sumptuous first class seat and provided they don't get rid of them I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in first class ticket sales when regulars or semi-regular users discover them.
They're also a step change in standard class seat comfort, in my opinion. They actually have padding.

RacsoMoquette

Splendid News! I am so glad these brilliant units now have a secure bright future ahead! Any news when introduction will begin, and also what will happen to Great Northerns Class 387/1 units? Will they move to Southern or remain at GN as capacity enhancers?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Splendid News! I am so glad these brilliant units now have a secure bright future ahead! Any news when introduction will begin, and also what will happen to Great Northerns Class 387/1 units? Will they move to Southern or remain at GN as capacity enhancers?
Well they don't need 30 to cover the additional services to Peterborough so some 387's are going to be displaced presumably to Southern and instigate a wider cascade as suggested a few days back.

The 379's will need ETCS retrofitting so are they going to stop wasting money on the 387's and do the 379's whilst they aren't in traffic so they are ready to go when its switched on between Welwyn and Stevenage.

Fincra5

Established Member
An equal number of 387s are planned to be cascaded to SN.

Well they don't need 30 to cover the additional services to Peterborough so some 387's are going to be displaced presumably to Southern and instigate a wider cascade as suggested a few days back.

The 379's will need ETCS retrofitting so are they going to stop wasting money on the 387's and do the 379's whilst they aren't in traffic so they are ready to go when its switched on between Welwyn and Stevenage.
Not wasting money as its not just ECML that will have ETCS eventually.

wickham

An interesting point regarding the possible (or desirable) fitting of ETCS to the 379s - 387101 was sent to Worksop to have this fitted, but it is not entirely clear to me if it WAS ACTUALLY fitted there as the unit subsequently moved on to Derby. But where do all the 379s happen to be sitting at present - no less than Worksop !!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
An equal number of 387s are planned to be cascaded to SN.
Previous posts have suggested that fewer than 30 387s will transfer to Southern, as there will need to be some retained for additional GN services. Is the detail of the actual cascade and who gets what uplift all finalised?

If things were to end up 30 379s to GN for 30 387s to Southern, for 30 375s to Southeastern, and more than 30 465s / 466s drop out of the bottom, the cause for rejoicing that seems to have resulted from this news would be rather short lived.

Last edited:

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Previous posts have suggested that fewer than 30 387s will transfer to Southern, as there will need to be some retained for additional GN services. Is the detail of the actual cascade and who gets what uplift all finalised?

If things were to end up 30 379s to GN for 30 387s to Southern, for 30 375s to Southeastern, and more than 30 465s / 466s drop out of the bottom, the cause for rejoicing that seems to have resulted from this news would be rather short lived.
People shouldn't assume that's what is happening.

Robski_

Now announced by the ROSCO

Of note is this quote by GTR's Engineering Director (my bold/underlining):
Subject to acceptance, these additional trains will start the development of a design for the future growing demand across our network. These extra units provide an opportunity to support our business plan delivery in providing excellent service for our customers."
My understanding of this is that the 379's are here to increase capacity and not to enable some sort of complicated cascade (although I would expect some movement of units, just not of the scale or complexity being discussed here).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

It was suggested elsewhere that all 39 would go to Southern, allowing a similar amount of 377/1s to join Southeastern, with some of the not at all intensively used 717 fleet working a few of the more lightly loaded current 700 workings out of King's Cross. A handful of 700s would then support the 379s on Ely services. I can't remember where I saw that now.

I'm keen to know if Southeastern actually plan to give their 377s their own interior. They put so much work into making the 375s nice inside, but then received the 377/5s and just left them with absolutely filthy green seat covers and Southern blue walls and panels. The 377/1s won't be filthy thanks to the refurbishment, but they will be off brand.

Only in the pernickety interests of neatness and consistency, if GTR did become in a position to give Southeastern around 40 377/1s, it's a shame they couldn't instead hand over all 64 377/1s and therefore take their 377/5s (there's 23 so it works!), meaning both TOCs would have a whole subclass rather than half and half. ;) I suppose there's little merit in that for SE as the 377/1s have three different layouts among them anyway, so that's not really a serious suggestion that I'd believe to be beneficial, just me being unusually a little OCD there :lol:

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It was suggested elsewhere that all 39 would go to Southern, allowing a similar amount of 377/1s to join Southeastern, with some of the not at all intensively used 717 fleet working a few of the more lightly loaded current 700 workings out of King's Cross. A handful of 700s would then support the 379s on Ely services. I can't remember where I saw that now.
“Elsewhere”? Isn’t that basically what has been suggested in the last few pages of this very thread?

D365

Veteran Member
Only in the pernickety interests of neatness and consistency, if GTR did become in a position to give Southeastern around 40 377/1s, it's a shame they couldn't instead hand over all 64 377/1s and therefore take their 377/5s (there's 23 so it works!), meaning both TOCs would have a whole subclass rather than half and half. ;) I suppose there's little merit in that for SE as the 377/1s have three different layouts among them anyway, so that's not really a serious suggestion that I'd believe to be beneficial, just me being unusually a little OCD there :lol:
If neatness and consistency is what you desire - thank goodness you don’t work as a diesel fleet engineer!

PGAT

Established Member
My understanding of this is that the 379's are here to increase capacity and not to enable some sort of complicated cascade (although I would expect some movement of units, just not of the scale or complexity being discussed here).
That would suggest it's unlikely for 30ish 377/1s to go to Southeastern then

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
If neatness and consistency is what you desire - thank goodness you don’t work as a diesel fleet engineer!
It's not really what I desire as such, I just noticed that the numbers would have addd up and thought ooh! As I said, no real sentiment behind the statement.

“Elsewhere”? Isn’t that basically what has been suggested in the last few pages of this very thread?
Well, looks like we've found where I saw it then. :)

brad465

Established Member
Apparently 377/5s have been having reliability issues recently, to the point Networkers are ironically on extra Maidstone East line diagrams to cover for this.

Of note is this quote by GTR's Engineering Director (my bold/underlining):

That would suggest it's unlikely for 30ish 377/1s to go to Southeastern then
Does Great Northern have the stabling capacity to allow a significant increase in its fleet size?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

I'm keen to know if Southeastern actually plan to give their 377s their own interior. They put so much work into making the 375s nice inside, but then received the 377/5s and just left them with absolutely filthy green seat covers and Southern blue walls and panels. The 377/1s won't be filthy thanks to the refurbishment, but they will be off brand.

Well they did manage to get DafT to agree to change the covers on perfectly good 707's so precedence set.

Robski_

Does Great Northern have the stabling capacity to allow a significant increase in its fleet size?
Before Covid it had:
84 class 365 carriages
116 class 387/1 carriages
= 200 carriages

120 class 379 carriages are now entering the mix and the 365's have been scrapped, so about 9 387/1's could go south, alongside the 10 additional units it has since received (387 201, ex-c2c and ex-GWR) to provide 19 387's for Southern while reinstating the pre-Covid fleet size for GN and also releasing 700's for more Thameslink work. Win-win-win in my view.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Before Covid it had:
84 class 365 carriages
= 200 carriages

120 class 379 carriages are now entering the mix and the 365's have been scrapped, so about 9 387/1's could go south, alongside the 10 additional units it has since received (387 201, ex-c2c and ex-GWR) to provide 19 387's for Southern while reinstating the pre-Covid fleet size for GN and also releasing 700's for more Thameslink work. Win-win-win in my view.
Thameslink don't need any more units there are no plans to increase anymore services and Maidstone to Cambridge is binned. Given the high cost of class 700 leases, nearly as worse as the IET contract, they should be maximising utilisation of the units.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Before Covid it had:
84 class 365 carriages
= 200 carriages

How is Southern doing fleetwise since the 455s and 313s have gone?

hwl

Established Member
People shouldn't assume that's what is happening.
Exactly, most people have got over excited wit SE rumours but the SE fleet size after a potential retirement of the MetCamm 465/466s would be similar to 6/7 years ago when accounting for changes to service levels due to Thameslink Rainhams and the addition of 707s. SE also don't have the depot space for the sizes of fleet increase that are being fanaticised about.

Badly that is why the 379s are needed to start a cascade.
- 20x 3car (-60cars)
- 46x 4car (-184 cars) effectively only about 25 fully utilised units though

and some net movement of 387s to/from GN.
So -244 cars for 313 and 455 removal

Last edited:

wickham

Re Post 496 by Robski: Is not the GTR Engineering Director talking about the WHOLE of the GTR portfolio and not just GN ? If so, that would include Southern.

Robski_

Thameslink don't need any more units there are no plans to increase anymore services and Maidstone to Cambridge is binned.
In which case Southern doesn't need any more units either as there are no plans to increase services there. The plan I suggested future-proofs for potential passenger growth across all three brands.
Fairly alright I should imagine. Keep in mind that the Thameslink programme transferred a lot of Southern services to Thameslink, which in turn released 377's which have stayed with Southern. I vaguely recall that as a result they had a somewhat low utilisation rate (~70%?), but I could be wrong on that.
Re Post 496 by Robski: Is not the GTR Engineering Director talking about the WHOLE of the GTR portfolio and not just GN ? If so, that would include Southern.
Yes, I was implying that an SE cascade would most likely not happen and that the 379's were coming to increase the fleet size at GTR. I don't think GN can accommodate a fleet of 69 outer-suburban 4 coach units on its own - some have to move somewhere, just not as many as people are suggesting (in my opinion).

Established Member
Yes, I was implying that an SE cascade would most likely not happen and that the 379's were coming to increase the fleet size at GTR. I don't think GN can accommodate a fleet of 69 outer-suburban 4 coach units on its own - some have to move somewhere, just not as many as people are suggesting (in my opinion).
It's probably somewhere in the middle - I think the SE cascade will happen but fewer units will move (both GN to Southern and from there to Southeastern) than people are implying.