• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Northern Railway related garden find

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrjlo

Hello

I have a question about something I dug up in my garden a while ago.

I currently live in Croydon but about 14 years ago, when I was around 7 years old, I lived in West Norwood, in Lambeth. I was helping my dad by digging in the garden one day when I came across a small lump covered in soil. I cleaned it up best I could and found that it was a sort of coin. But it isn't a currency coin. My dad said something about it being an old railway token. I have never found out any more about what it was though and I thought now with the internet I might find somebody who could help me work it out.

On one side it says "Knight Bros" round the top, then "GNR Kings" in the middle and "Cross" on the bottom. The other side is less distinct but appears to be a large "1" and a smaller "S".

If anybody can shed any light on what this is I'd be interested. I don't expect it to have financial value, I am just interested in what is it and when it might date from. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• gnr_front.jpg
    gnr_front.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 28
  • gnr_back.jpg
    gnr_back.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 20
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyvern

Established Member
I cant offer much except the 1 and the s might be 1s. or one shilling (5p.)

Worth quite a bit more in the nineteenth century than now.

Knights might be a subcontractor to the GNR. Would they still be paying in truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.