• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western 150/2 overhaul and refurbishment Wolverton works

Status
Not open for further replies.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Today 150202 518N 0625 Exeter Tmd sidings to Wolverton centre sidings works was formed by 150202.
Are all the other 150/2s gwr operated due to go to Wolverton next for further refurbishment or is the case only some will go for warranty works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I believe a contractually required periodic overhaul (C6?) has come around and the 150 sets will all go one after another. Not the most ideal timing, given GWR’s West fleet being a 158 down but not a lot they can do.

warwickshire

On Moderation
I believe a contractually required periodic overhaul (C6?) has come around and the 150 sets will all go one after another. Not the most ideal timing, given GWR’s West fleet being a 158 down but not a lot they can do.
Quite interesting. So both 165 turbos and 1502 gwr to wolverton.
However good news for wolverton works another contract to follow on now the 769s are finished there.

fgwrich

Established Member
Fingers crossed for a seat replacement (there will be enough chapman seats released by the scrapping of the 143s) and a standardisation across the West Fleet sprinters.

As it stands, 202 and 216 have their as built Ashbourne’s while 207 has chapmans but in a FNW high capacity layout. It’s not so fun when either of those turn up on the Cornish mainline!

northernbelle

Shouldn't they be looking to replace these now? Perhaps an order of bi-modes?
The aborted DA3 franchise did see all but 10 sets removed in favour of a strengthened 'Turbo' fleet - presumably the remaining 10 would have been confined to the Cornish branch lines. There is currently a programme of overhauls (not the C6s the Angel sets 202/216 are programmed in for) which will see costly wheelset overhauls - I suspect these will be the last in their GWR lives.

There is a strong case for homogenisation of the 150/158/16x/HST fleets with something standard in the fulness of time however I suspect we'll see cascaded 158s coming GWR's way initially to see off the HSTs which are eye-wateringly expensive to operate on what they're being used for.

Fingers crossed for a seat replacement (there will be enough chapman seats released by the scrapping of the 143s) and a standardisation across the West Fleet sprinters.

As it stands, 202 and 216 have their as built Ashbourne’s while 207 has chapmans but in a FNW high capacity layout. It’s not so fun when either of those turn up on the Cornish mainline!
It was said elsewhere a long time ago that 150202/207/216 were going to be having some money spent on them at some point so whether that will be them having their interiors redone we will just have to wait and see...

northernbelle

It was said elsewhere a long time ago that 150202/207/216 were going to be having some money spent on them at some point so whether that will be them having their interiors redone we will just have to wait and see...
Given they've had their interiors refreshed already I seriously doubt that the seats are about to replaced.

fgwrich

Established Member
Given they've had their interiors refreshed already I seriously doubt that the seats are about to replaced.
You could say the same about the 143s though, which had many of their seat covers replaced replaced before retirement from service. Of which, ironically, some are now in 207 (which hasn’t been refreshed) and now contributes to the mishmash of FNW, Northern and GWR interiors.

northernbelle

You could say the same about the 143s though, which had many of their seat covers replaced replaced before retirement from service. Of which, ironically, some are now in 207 (which hasn’t been refreshed) and now contributes to the mishmash of FNW, Northern and GWR interiors.
Replacing life-expired seat covers is one thing - changing two units worth of seat fittings is quite another! Never say never, but it would seem like money for old rope in an era where every penny counts.

Just to add as well that the seats in the 143s were different to the Wessex 150/2s refurb in that they weren't fitted with armrests or seat back tables - I can't see therefore how they'd be an improvement on what 202/207/216 already have.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Just to add as well that the seats in the 143s were different to the Wessex 150/2s refurb in that they weren't fitted with armrests or seat back tables - I can't see therefore how they'd be an improvement on what 202/207/216 already have.
143s had 2+2 seating, Chapman seats which tend to be preferred to Ashbournes, and larger windows which make them less cramped. Also, 150s tend to end up on Plymouth Penzances fairly often these days which is a longer journey than 143s made.

Status
Not open for further replies.