• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Consultation Response, Worcestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimm

Established Member
You do understand that this consultation was about what to do with the new short-term direct award franchise up to 2022 that is currently under discussion, do you?

Not to help shape some long-term strategic development plan for a five or seven-year franchise.

The 2020-22 franchise is largely intended to get the GW area through the back end of the delayed improvement work, get the new timetable firmly established and buy some breathing space for both longer-term planning and for DfT to try to get on top of its franchising programme - it was never going to be piling yet more substantial changes on top of the ones we are in the middle of at the moment.

The document includes the following wording in a section about rolling stock:
  1. A key priority for the new franchise in 2020 will be to consolidate the benefits of this transformation and to ensure that reliability improves substantially. This franchise will also allow us to consider the longer-term options available. We are therefore likely to specify a requirement for the franchisee to appraise options for the older rolling stock fleets, and to develop a business case for alternative solutions for these fleets.
In a context where the Cotswold Line is about to get a new baseline hourly all-day timetable next year, plus peak extras in the direction of the main morning and evening flows (not many people's definition of a poor service) and while the North Cotswold Line Taskforce (mentioned several times in the document) is indeed looking at developing a long-term strategic plan for it, I have no idea what you mean. Without some serious infrastructure improvements, any further improvements in service frequency on the route are not practical anyway.

Pretty much everyone around accepts the service between Worcester and Gloucestershire/Bristol is inadequate, but the rolling stock fleet currently allocated to the franchise for the time being does not allow for an enhanced frequency there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I didn’t see much detail about anything, it isn’t as though Worcestershire is treated differently to anywhere else.

At least now the handful of politicians pushing for a separate Devon and Cornwall franchise should put their daft idea back in their box...

Status quo for Brighton extensions, unless franchisee comes up with an alternative.

Status quo for Greenford branch. Wembley has no advantage for DMU operation over Reading. (My thoughts were that they’d forgotten about the HS2 work in the area.)

embers25

Established Member
My only concern within the document is the statement "We will work with FirstGroup....to address fares anomalies which have been highlighted through the public consultation." That can only be bad news based on past experience. Major shocker was that those not living in Wiltshire want trains to not stop there to speed up trips and Wiltshire residents want stops to remain...not predictable at all!

TheWalrus

Established Member
Will we have to endure another 3 years of unreliable GWR??

jimm

Established Member
Have you missed that the current direct award has already been extended by a year to 2020 and that the DfT has said it will negotiate with First Group for a further two-year direct award to 2022?

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
Will we have to endure another 3 years of unreliable GWR??
That would only happen if the current difficulties were not being addressed and were not temporary but chronically and structurally present. AIUI, the new trains are being delivered, the adaptations of HSTs to smaller units is taking place, the drivers are being trained to the new (to them) trains. The timetable for such electrification so far authorised is proceeding to the amended plan. The only doubt that I read about is the progress with class 769 flex trains. That is in the rumour stage, again AIUI, although a concern.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Have you missed that the current direct award has already been extended by a year to 2020 and that the DfT has said it will negotiate with First Group for a further two-year direct award to 2022?
Yes I have. I was only aware of it being extended to 2019. I’m not on the ball as much as I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.