• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Railway Heathrow Express Class 387 Refittment and Service Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
2+1 originally, reduced to 1+1 in most recent interior refresh to provide a better ambience to try and sell more biz first tickets as they weren’t doing too well at the time.

More recently there has been a sharp uptake in takers for Biz First, and often insufficient seating available for all that want it. With the smaller Biz First area on the 387s (2/3rds of a slightly shorter coach vs full coach on 332) HX specified 2+1 seating.

Still an awful lot better than a GX 387 or a 379.
Not in standard. Ironing boards mean they are on a par with GatEx and sub-379 levels. Not fit for what is a premium service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Not in standard. Ironing boards mean they are on a par with GatEx and sub-379 levels. Not fit for what is a premium service.

Tbh I don't think it will matter for 99% of passengers for a journey that's only 15 minutes

T-Karmel

Tbh I don't think it will matter for 99% of passengers for a journey that's only 15 minutes

And that was the outcome of HEXs fleet department talks.

There were discussions about putting more foam into seats to make them comfier and I was strongly encouraging head of fleet to do so regardless time of the journey but here we are.

In any way they are still not as hard as they are on new Elizabeth line units. 387s still have some foam whilst 345s has nothing.

Melancholia

The standard class seats on the new HEX 387s have extra padding on them, even if they're ironing boards, as they're more comfortable to sit on when I tried it. Business class on the other hand, in my opinion, are firmer than the standard class seats.

T-Karmel

The standard class seats on the new HEX 387s have extra padding on them, even if they're ironing boards, as they're more comfortable to sit on when I tried it. Business class on the other hand, in my opinion, are firmer than the standard class seats.

That's interesting, I see it now having closer look on the pictures, it does looks like it has more stuffing. Can't wait to try them myself.

Just wondering, are they racks for newspapers for FC passengers there by internal doors? If so, that will cut in variety of magazines offered to customers :lol:

Mikey C

Established Member
HEX isn't as expensive any more - there are GBP 5.50 advances available throughout the week if booked 90 days in advance, and fares from GBP 7.50 single available from 14 days in advance.

Those aren't valid if you have an early weekday flight though, which rules out many users.

T-Karmel

Those aren't valid if you have an early weekday flight though, which rules out many users.

As long as you buy them for correct date and direction of travel, you can use them at any time of the day from the very first train in the morning till very last one in the evening regardless peak time.

Mikey C

Established Member
As long as you buy them for correct date and direction of travel, you can use them at any time of the day from the very first train in the morning till very last one in the evening regardless peak time.
Sorry, I was thinking of railcard discounts!

They are more beneficial for leisure travellers though, the sort who book a holiday months in advance, rather than business travellers who tend to go on shorter notice

T-Karmel

Sorry, I was thinking of railcard discounts!

They are more beneficial for leisure travellers though, the sort who book a holiday months in advance, rather than business travellers who tend to go on shorter notice
I see, it might be confusing. Yes, Railcards are restricted but on returns we're not so fuss about it. Then, in the end, it is enough to buy 2 weeks Advance ticket and price comes up to very similar one.

Business travellers usually don't pay out of their pocket, therefore it is not important to them. Like at all, any discount isn't important to them :lol: Different to personal journeys planned ad-hoc but then you either spent so much on your flight already you don't care anymore :lol: or you're trying your luck with what I said above ;)

FGW_DID

Established Member
Noted three 387 units in Hex livery in West Ealing sidings today. Wasn’t able to get numbers unfortunately.

Unless it’s changed it should be the two ETCS fitted units (134 & 139??) and 387132?. They were or are being used for testing in the tunnels.

JN114

Established Member
Unless it’s changed it should be the two ETCS fitted units (134 & 139??) and 387132?. They were or are being used for testing in the tunnels.

139/134/132 are at WEAL
You’ve still got 131
130/133/135/136/140/141 are all at Ilford.

supervc-10

The cheap advance tickets are very good to know about! Much cheaper than Oyster on the TfL Rail option, barely more than the tube! I'm presuming that Covid-19 has put a huge dent in the plans, but when were the first 387s due to start operations?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Have 387133 and 387135 returned from Old Dalby then?.

No idea!

Unless @JN114 knows otherwise but to us, once a HEX designated 387 leaves for works at Ilford, that’s what it’s status will reflect until it returns to the fold at Reading.
Can anybody confirm with the good old Mk1 eyeball?

JN114

Established Member
Have 387133 and 387135 returned from Old Dalby then?.

No idea!

Unless @JN114 knows otherwise but to us, once a HEX designated 387 leaves for works at Ilford, that’s what it’s status will reflect until it returns to the fold at Reading.
Can anybody confirm with the good old Mk1 eyeball?

Without a Mk1 eyeball I’m not 100% sure either. They were definitely both at Old Dalby at one point for testing, and moved there in the system. The system now shows them as at Ilford, I didn’t move them back, and wouldn’t expect my colleagues to unless they’d actually been moved - but I can’t find record of the working they moved on.

Chris125

Established Member
More work to do, but they are making progress: ETCS tested successfully on Heathrow Express Class 387s

Using sections of the GWML east of Reading and the branch from Hayes & Harlington to Heathrow Airport, the tests were undertaken by Porterbrook and partners Bombardier, the Department for Transport, DB Cargo UK and Heathrow Airport Ltd.

More than 10 test runs over the weekend of March 21-22 were undertaken to prove the functionality of the onboard hardware and software as well as related infrastructure assets.

FGW_DID

Established Member
For anybody keeping track, there was a couple of HEX unit movements today:

387131: West Ealing LMD - Ilford
387140 (now ETCS fitted): Ilford - Reading TCD

57306 doing the honours for both moves.

Thank you for the update.

Have either of 387137 or 387138 been moved to Ilford yet? They had been at West Ealing from the December 2019 timetable change until March when the non essential travel restriction came in and consequently I am no longer able to use my own eyes to check whether they are still there.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Yes very true, considering it’s my old TOC I’d like to see how these turn out. But usually Hex related threads always turns into rants hoping for its demise due to its cost, hard selling, Underground/TfL Rail is cheaper etc.....
Also taking up 4 paths per hour out of Paddington on the congested GWML, which could be used for other services.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Also taking up 4 paths per hour out of Paddington on the congested GWML, which could be used for other services.

As has been discussed many times before, these paths wouldn't necessarily be available for other services.

TheWalrus

Established Member
As has been discussed many times before, these paths wouldn't necessarily be available for other services.
Depends if the preceding service calls at Slough/Maidenhead/Twyford, with the new service running non-stop to Reading for example.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They don’t. It was explained in a thread here a couple of years ago, but I’ve no idea where to find it. It was to do with the way spaces in the long distance timetable are needed for main line calls at Slough, and to fit in services that include main to relief moves between Paddington and Reading...

cactustwirly

Established Member
Depends if the preceding service calls at Slough/Maidenhead/Twyford, with the new service running non-stop to Reading for example.

The preceding services stop at Maidenhead in the peaks, and Slough in the off-peak.

TheWalrus

Established Member
They don’t. It was explained in a thread here a couple of years ago, but I’ve no idea where to find it. It was to do with the way spaces in the long distance timetable are needed for main line calls at Slough, and to fit in services that include main to relief moves between Paddington and Reading...
I remember the post you refer to however you could path a first-stop Maidenhead in front of a first-stop Slough, but the problem would arise when you couldn’t path a first-stop Reading behing a first-stop Slough for example.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Thank you for the update.

Have either of 387137 or 387138 been moved to Ilford yet? They had been at West Ealing from the December 2019 timetable change until March when the non essential travel restriction came in and consequently I am no longer able to use my own eyes to check whether they are still there.

Still in exile at West Ealing. They did make a fleeting return to Reading so that West Ealing could accommodate the sets used in the ETCS testing that’s mentioned back up thread (#227) but were soon sent packing again once the ETCS sets returned to Reading.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I remember the post you refer to however you could path a first-stop Maidenhead in front of a first-stop Slough, but the problem would arise when you couldn’t path a first-stop Reading behing a first-stop Slough for example.

Because of this, the HEx paths are pretty much useless beyond Airport junction.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Because of this, the HEx paths are pretty much useless beyond Airport junction.
Yeah as you would need an 8 minute gap between departures from PAD if a first stop Reading service was pathed behind a first stop Slough/Maidenhead. Unless you say introduced intercity services calling at Ealing Broadway for example.

I did consider HX going down to every 30 minutes but then only gives you two paths to call at Maidenhead/Slough/Twyford.

pdeaves

Established Member
HEx doesn't so much take otherwise-valuable paths but more makes use of some available space outside Paddington (I simplify).

Anyway, back to 387s. Which ones are in silver/grey livery now?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Anyway, back to 387s. Which ones are in silver/grey livery now?

By my reckoning:

387132, 134, 139 & 140 are, which are at Reading.

Presumably 130, 133, 135, 136, 141 at Ilford already will be, with 131 being done shortly having just joined them.

137 & 138 still Green and loitering at West Ealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.