• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Advance Tickets Sun Oct 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Is anyone aware when these will be released for this date, as I need to travel from Southend Airport to Sandwell & Dudley. (1st Class Advanced)

Suspect it is due to engineering works on the 1st Leg from SIA to Liverpool Street.

All the dates around the 14th are available - most annoying !!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Advances from Southend Airport to Sandwell & Dudley are set and controlled by Virgin Trains West Coast (VTWC). Their availability is limited by both legs of the journey - Southend Airport to London, and London to Sandwell & Dudley.

VTWC have not yet released Advances for Sundays beyond 7 October. This will be for a variety of reasons, including that they do not yet have confirmation from Network Rail as to what engineering works and closures may be occurring, and hence what trains will be running and at what times. This is because Network Rail typically do a lot more maintenance and engineering works during the weekend, when there are fewer people using the trains.

However, Chiltern have already released Advance tickets quite far in advance (as they have a much smaller route and far fewer services, so Network Rail presumably are already able to confirm works and timings), so 'Chiltern+Connections' Advances are already available for your desired dates.

They are available for exceptionally reasonable prices too - it costs just £11.00 (without a Railcard) if you obtain an Advance taking you from Southend Airport to Liverpool Street, Tube across London and then Chiltern from Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street, West Midlands Trains from there to Smethwick Galton Bridge, and then again one stop to Sandwell & Dudley. This is available for departures every half an hour throughout most of that Sunday.

You won't see that kind of ticket by default, however adding a 'via' point of High Wycombe ought to get it to show in most good websites like www.trainsplit.com.

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks for the input - I hope Network Rail and Virgin release beyond October 7th shortly !!

Travelling 1st Class and anxious to get the lowest tier before they sell out. (Advance)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks for the input - I hope Network Rail and Virgin release beyond October 7th shortly !!

Travelling 1st Class and anxious to get the lowest tier before they sell out. (Advance)
If they don't sell soon then, as I've advised, I would go for Chiltern. You're not going to get much served in VTWC First on a Sunday, and travelling via Chiltern is a very civilised and comfortable experience (even though the regular trains are all standard), with lots of tables etc.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just to update - tickets became available a couple of days ago.

Got 1st Class for £30.35 each from Southend Airport to Sand & Dudley using 2 Together Railcard - pleased !!!

Is 1st Class on Greater Anglia any good ?

As arriving by air had to factor in a 2 hour cushion but as GA portion of ticket should be untimed this can be spent in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.