• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

CBlue

Honestly, the fuss about these trains is making me laugh, it really is. It does highlight somewhat spoilt attitudes; the trains are a good upgrade on the previous mainstay of the WA (317 not 379, which was the Stansted Express fleet, not the West Anglia fleet, apart from a few diagrams to Cambridge) with plug sockets, air conditioning and improved passenger information which weren't present before.

At the moment, while more trains are accepted and platform lengths are sorted out, the trains are being operated with five carriages. While not ideal, the level of seating available is roughly the same as an 8 carriage configuration of longer stock... some passengers may prefer not to sit in middle 3+2 seats, but that is their choice and the point is the option is there.

And even if there wasn't enough capacity, I've said it above - while more trains are accepted and platform lengths are sorted out - ten carriage trains are coming.

I think what's happened is the introduction of the 745 has led to West Anglia line users getting used to the cascaded 379s, and now assuming that any new stock on the route should be of a similar quality. But at the end of the day, those 379s - apart from the handful of Cambridge diagrams - have never been the main fleet of the West Anglia lines. That role was upheld by the 317s, and the 720s are a perfectly justifiable replacement.

Quite. Sometimes feels like there's a slight lack of perspective - if you want a fast train to London you go to King's Cross...

Should have ordered one of the existing layouts. And yes, I blame DfT prioritizing a loaded question from GEML surveys for dumping this train on WAML users.
So 3+2 like most of the 317s originally had, then?
I don't get this weird GEML - West Anglia "rivalry" thing from you, and admittedly I'm also not sure what your posts saying such are trying to prove or achieve? How does the West Anglia differ from the Great Eastern to the extent it needs special trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Honestly, the fuss about these trains is making me laugh, it really is. It does highlight somewhat spoilt attitudes; the trains are a good upgrade on the previous mainstay of the WA (317 not 379, which was the Stansted Express fleet, not the West Anglia fleet, apart from a few diagrams to Cambridge) with plug sockets, air conditioning and improved passenger information which weren't present before.

At the moment, while more trains are accepted and platform lengths are sorted out, the trains are being operated with five carriages. While not ideal, the level of seating available is roughly the same as an 8 carriage configuration of longer stock... some passengers may prefer not to sit in middle 3+2 seats, but that is their choice and the point is the option is there.

And even if there wasn't enough capacity, I've said it above - while more trains are accepted and platform lengths are sorted out - ten carriage trains are coming.

I think what's happened is the introduction of the 745 has led to West Anglia line users getting used to the cascaded 379s, and now assuming that any new stock on the route should be of a similar quality. But at the end of the day, those 379s - apart from the handful of Cambridge diagrams - have never been the main fleet of the West Anglia lines. That role was upheld by the 317s, and the 720s are a perfectly justifiable replacement.
True, but the 379s did operate 3 key fast peak services, so many commuters will have enjoyed 379s most of the time. Those services were very well patronised, 2 of them were usually standing from Audley End. Not sure those commuters paying 4k pa would consider themselves spoilt. The 720s are a big step down.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
So, and I could well be wrong, I have 516, 526 and 584 at Ilford and not in service yet.

One of the worries many of us had when the new fleet was announced was that many 8 car diagrams would become 5 car. The numbers of seats are similar but when 40 of them are tip-up seats by doors and it's 3+2, then I'd rather be on a packed 8 car consist than a 5 car one.
Ultimately once all 133 units are in traffic they will have more than enough to run everything as 10 cars I would imagine

dk1

Veteran Member
Ultimately once all 133 units are in traffic they will have more than enough to run everything as 10 cars I would imagine
Hopefully we will be as swamped with units on GE & WA as we are with Regional bimodes. It sure is a great place to be.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Hopefully we will be as swamped with units on GE & WA as we are with Regional bimodes. It sure is a great place to be.
It won't last !.

Toss up between cutbacks and a bounce back in customers. My money would be on moderate cut backs and then a bounce back in patronage. Meanwhile the stored stock will have found a new home somewhere else. As far as 755s go there is going to be a national shortage of DMUs even if that is facilitated by withdrawing the older DMUs - 150s ?.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It won't last !.

Toss up between cutbacks and a bounce back in customers. My money would be on moderate cut backs and then a bounce back in patronage. Meanwhile the stored stock will have found a new home somewhere else. As far as 755s go there is going to be a national shortage of DMUs even if that is facilitated by withdrawing the older DMUs - 150s ?.
I think they have got wise to that by procuring units that can only be serviced at Crown Point in the case of the 755s and which have features only appropriate for Anglia routes in the case of the 720s (24m coaches, 3+2 seating etc). The break clause penalty must be pretty severe for the order not to have been cut back if there is a view that the routes will be 'swamped with units'.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I think they have got wise to that by procuring units that can only be serviced at Crown Point in the case of the 755s and which have features only appropriate for Anglia routes in the case of the 720s (24m coaches, 3+2 seating etc). The break clause penalty must be pretty severe for the order not to have been cut back if there is a view that the routes will be 'swamped with units'.
Couldn't the 755s go to South Wales to join the 756s ?.

As for 720s I am not sure.

dk1

Veteran Member
It won't last !.

So different to anything that’s gone before though. Maintenance has to be done at specially adapted depots. We can just revel in the wonder that is Stadler for now out East. Never known anything like it in my 37 years of employment at Norwich & long May it continue. It’s just so wonderful.

Railperf

Established Member
So different to anything that’s gone before though. Maintenance has to be done at specially adapted depots. We can just revel in the wonder that is Stadler for now out East. Never known anything like it in my 37 years of employment at Norwich & long May it continue. It’s just so wonderful.
What's the best element of this for you? IS it the quality of product to drive - and the passenger experience, is the maintenance regime - probably far superior to anything from BR days, or is it the fact you have a lot of spare units ready to go - unlike the past where it seems Crown Point struggled to turn out enough units for the day - probably due to the older stuff being cheap, cheerful and not very well maintained?

dk1

Veteran Member
What's the best element of this for you? IS it the quality of product to drive - and the passenger experience, is the maintenance regime - probably far superior to anything from BR days, or is it the fact you have a lot of spare units ready to go - unlike the past where it seems Crown Point struggled to turn out enough units for the day - probably due to the older stuff being cheap, cheerful and not very well maintained?
It’s a bit of everything really. Yes I have a fantastic working environment & the passenger feedback is overwhelmingly positive too. There’s no chaos & stress for those who do nights to try to get some sort of morning service out, it just flows. I’m obviously not sure how long the dream of having excess units available all day long will last or the viability of it but to be honest, I really don’t care. It’s just wonderful to be in a position I’ve never known in 37 years & we are enjoying every single second of it here in the East.

ashkeba

Established Member
So 3+2 like most of the 317s originally had, then?
I don't get this weird GEML - West Anglia "rivalry" thing from you, and admittedly I'm also not sure what your posts saying such are trying to prove or achieve? How does the West Anglia differ from the Great Eastern to the extent it needs special trains?
Trying to achieve awareness that it is run currently as an inconvenient branch line by the old GEML operator. I don't know how its needs differ from the GE but it seems the operator and franchisor don't either because the surveys were lumped together during analysis.

It’s a bit of everything really. Yes I have a fantastic working environment & the passenger feedback is overwhelmingly positive too. There’s no chaos & stress for those who do nights to try to get some sort of morning service out, it just flows. I’m obviously not sure how long the dream of having excess units available all day long will last or the viability of it but to be honest, I really don’t care. It’s just wonderful to be in a position I’ve never known in 37 years & we are enjoying every single second of it here in the East.
well yes, those nice bimodes sat around NC cus they arent being used on the promised hourly IPS/PBO or East Suffolk to LivSt directs or half hourly Yarmouths are being paid for by someone. Used to be Dutch taxpayers who lost loads on a dud franchise, now British taxpayers

CBlue

Trying to achieve awareness that it is run currently as an inconvenient branch line by the old GEML operator. I don't know how its needs differ from the GE but it seems the operator and franchisor don't either because the surveys were lumped together during analysis.
Maybe that's because it's needs don't differ? If it was treated as an inconvenient branch line they'd probably be refurbishing the 317s again for another 10 years service....used the line for 30 years and GA have definitely been an improvement over NXEA or WAGN - and at least GA invested in new stock which no previous TOC bothered doing.

dk1

Veteran Member
well yes, those nice bimodes sat around NC cus they arent being used on the promised hourly IPS/PBO or East Suffolk to LivSt directs or half hourly Yarmouths are being paid for by someone. Used to be Dutch taxpayers who lost loads on a dud franchise, now British taxpayers
Its unfortunate but we are where we are for now.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Generally, people would rather have a narrow seat than no seat.
3+2 in itself doesn't need to mean awfully narrow seats/aisles. Class 720 is particularly not good in that regard though, because they're a longer coach than the 317/321/360/379 they replace. Longer coach within same loading gauge means narrower coaches, which means less space width-ways for seats and aisles.
I would be happy sitting in the 3+2 bays, which are very similar to those used widely across the UK… but the 3+2 airline seats are extremely claustrophobic. I believe the only other train to have those is Northern’s 150s, and a non-standard pair of GWR’s, but at least the Ashbourne seats are fairly low. I’m slim and not that tall (5’11) and yet those airline seats look extremely uninviting, goodness knows how someone of a bigger build would cope… that’s all down to the close proximity of the seats in front though. I think 3+2 bays are fine.

On Moderation
Maybe that's because it's needs don't differ? If it was treated as an inconvenient branch line they'd probably be refurbishing the 317s again for another 10 years service....used the line for 30 years and GA have definitely been an improvement over NXEA or WAGN - and at least GA invested in new stock which no previous TOC bothered doing.
I must have imagined the 379s that were ordered and introduced under NXEA.

bramling

Veteran Member

It’s all very well being swamped with units, but it doesn’t help if the operator chooses to keep them in sidings.

I remember this in WAGN days under Prism - lines of 317s and 365s stabled in sidings at Hornsey, Peterborough, Letchworth and Cambridge at weekends, whilst the service was solid 4-car.

St. Paddy

It’s all very well being swamped with units, but it doesn’t help if the operator chooses to keep them in sidings.

I remember this in WAGN days under Prism - lines of 317s and 365s stabled in sidings at Hornsey, Peterborough, Letchworth and Cambridge at weekends, whilst the service was solid 4-car.
The 4 car services were the slow Cambridge ones that had to stop at Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton. As they weren’t fitted with SDO, they couldn’t be increased in length. Unfortunately on arrival at Kings Cross, they then worked to Peterborough which didn’t help matters.

ashkeba

Established Member
The only reason Class 379s weren't 3+2 is because they were introduced for the Stansted service and you need wide aisles to cope with everyone having luggage.
Yet some on here seem convinced 720s will be replacing 745s on Stansted Express services. How will that work with luggage?

CBlue

I must have imagined the 379s that were ordered and introduced under NXEA.
My post was in the context of Cambridge-Liverpool Street services, the 379s being ordered for Stansted runs, with the side effect that a few worked north of the airport (and indeed 317s could still drop onto Stansteds now and again back then....)

Alfie1014

Doesn't help that the aisles are narrow on a 720 which does mean some passengers will prefer to stand in the vestibule area rather than moving down the aisle to stand as they worry they might get blocked in and be unable to exit the train in time for their stop
Someone said to me that the aisles in the 720s are 45mm narrower than in the BR mkIII EEMUs which whilst not sounding much is around 1.5 inches or 10% narrower.

ashkeba

Established Member
Someone said to me that the aisles in the 720s are 45mm narrower than in the BR mkIII EEMUs which whilst not sounding much is around 1.5 inches or 10% narrower.
And it depends which MkIII EMU and which interior they mean by that. I had a couple of nasty falls from getting a stick stuck in some original 3+2 interiors. Even the Renatus interior needs care for users of two walking sticks. Accessibility should be improving not getting worse and confining people with ever more minor mobility issues to the wheelchair areas. Naturally, the Flirts being so good makes the Aventras seem even worse.

Magdalia

Established Member
The 4 car services were the slow Cambridge ones that had to stop at Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton. As they weren’t fitted with SDO, they couldn’t be increased in length. Unfortunately on arrival at Kings Cross, they then worked to Peterborough which didn’t help matters.
No. In WAGN days nearly everything at weekends was 4 cars, also weekdays off peak. The issue was more the splitting and joining at Cambridge than stopping at Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton. The Cambridge slows only interworked with the Peterborough slows, not with the fasts and semi-fasts. Saturday evenings out of London in particular used to be a complete nightmare.

iphone76

Something I've noticed is that the grab handles on the side of the seats definitely don't help walking through the train. Perhaps if they could be moved to the top of the seats (if that is possibly), it may help a bit?

Astro_Orbiter

Look at the type of services that the GE has, outer suburban mostly, whereas the Hertford East/Stortford-Stratford on West Anglia are more akin to a London Overground/MTR route. Hertford trains that stop all stations between Tottenham and Cheshunt need 710 style units, not 720's ideally. Even with 10 car 720 being used on peak Hertford trains, imagine it in the evening peak; everyone piles on the back at Liv St and Tottenham, then from Ponders End to Waltham Cross those rear coaches will be hanging off the back of platforms, imagine everyone in the rear 4 or so coaches trying to pile through those narrow gangways to get forward, and even if they don't, those coaches won't barely be used with the front unit being crush loaded.
The Liv St- Cambridge services are akin to Colchester or similar on GE, but the other services excluding Stansted Express are a microcosm in GA land.
As someone tied to West Anglia services, it does always feel over here that we're an after thought to Anglia and GE services, if West Anglia didn't have Stansted Airport on its patch it really would be the forgotten line.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Something I've noticed is that the grab handles on the side of the seats definitely don't help walking through the train. Perhaps if they could be moved to the top of the seats (if that is possibly), it may help a bit?
That would be a good idea. Most people walking through are grabbing the top of the seats anyway - the handles, where they are, are not just an obstruction - they're virtually impossible to use...

Wivenswold

Established Member
Yet some on here seem convinced 720s will be replacing 745s on Stansted Express services. How will that work with luggage?
I'm pretty sure it was last year that Rail Magazine said the last 20 x 720s would have a different internal layout with extra provision for luggage.
However, I say that with caution given the number of changes we've seen since the original plan.