• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

Wivenswold

Established Member
Only suggestion i saw of changes to order was an article in MR many months back when there was a suggestion of creating a subfleet for Stansted services to allow the 745/a's to be redeployed to GE side.
That idea appears to be dead, unfortunately. I'd have loved Stadlers to Clacton.

Modern Railways latest edition says GA are exploring the option of sub-leasing 20 of the fleet due to the post-Covid downturn in commuting.

Thank you for the additional Gen from everyone, always good to pool our collective knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
That idea appears to be dead, unfortunately. I'd have loved Stadlers to Clacton.

Modern Railways latest edition says GA are exploring the option of sub-leasing 20 of the fleet due to the post-Covid downturn in commuting.

Thank you for the additional Gen from everyone, always good to pool our collective knowledge.
Yeah whose going to take those when there are 30 odd 350's about to go off lease along with 30 379's

Peter Sarf

Established Member

below question
To who, sorry?
No indication any other TOC wants them according to Modern Railways report. I wonder how much further away from the cutters torch these 20 allegedly surplus 720s are than 379s and/or 350/2s !.

AlexNL

Established Member
I wonder how much further away from the cutters torch these 20 allegedly surplus 720s are than 379s and/or 350/2s !.
One thing which might work in the benefit of these alledgedly surplus 720s is that they were ordered and financed during a time of low interest rates, which might mean that their leasing charges are lower than of the other fleets you mention.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
One thing which might work in the benefit of these alledgedly surplus 720s is that they were ordered and financed during a time of low interest rates, which might mean that their leasing charges are lower than of the other fleets you mention.
Yes. I imagine that the surplus 20 720s are more likely to see warm storage than the 379s or 350/2s. I am assuming here that they get accepted by GA so might get rotated - would that be right ?.

Fingers crossed passenger numbers pick up quick enough for them to be needed. But that is enough guessing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes. I imagine that the surplus 20 720s are more likely to see warm storage than the 379s or 350/2s. I am assuming here that they get accepted by GA so might get rotated - would that be right ?.

Fingers crossed passenger numbers pick up quick enough for them to be needed. But that is enough guessing.

It'd seem to me to make sense to change StanEx to 720 operation (take a few seats out and put in luggage racks) then you have enough FLIRTs for the whole Norwich service, the slower service could use the ex-StanEx units, or ideally refit them to be the same as the others then there's a common pool.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It'd seem to me to make sense to change StanEx to 720 operation (take a few seats out and put in luggage racks) then you have enough FLIRTs for the whole Norwich service, the slower service could use the ex-StanEx units, or ideally refit them to be the same as the others then there's a common pool.
Yes there is the 745 shortage and getting them all on services nearer-to / via Norwich would help reliability. I agree making all the 745s the same makes sense.

RailWonderer

Established Member

They will just use them on rotation and keep reliability up. A bit of slack in the fleet never did any harm.
Both Norwich trains are fasts, one is arguably semi-fast that also stops at Stratford, Chelmsford and Stowmarket, and xx:30 ex-Norwich is a traditional fast. The StanEx ones are best used on the Ipswich stopper or on some peak workings. I don't think the DfT would fund any refitting of 720s unfortunately so 745s will continue on Stansted as well.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
They will just use them on rotation and keep reliability up. A bit of slack in the fleet never did any harm.
Really? Do you think they will get a reduction on the lease payments as a result?

The indication was that the reason for trying to arrange a sub lease for 20 units was to save costs.

Established Member
Have GA reduced the timetable due to covid demand? Otherwise where has this surplus 20 units come from? Surely they ordered what they needed?

Would they not as someone above mentioned rotate the fleet, keep them, and when demand increases, use the units for increased services?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
As GA are legally obliged to lease them they have probably said to DfT in the menu of options for saving money we could reduce 20 x 720's leasing costs but there is no obvious taker other than maybe Scotrail if a 5 car 720 could substitute for 318/320's. They will probably cost more in leasing charges but if 318/320's are on short term leases nett cost to industry would be lower.

RailWonderer

Established Member
As GA are legally obliged to lease them they have probably said to DfT in the menu of options for saving money we could reduce 20 x 720's leasing costs but there is no obvious taker other than maybe Scotrail if a 5 car 720 could substitute for 318/320's. They will probably cost more in leasing charges but if 318/320's are on short term leases nett cost to industry would be lower.
Scotrail is possible, as 5 cars of 23/24m stock is equivalent to 20m of legacy stock. Still I think reformed 350/2s to 3 cars would be the favourite option, to keep Desiros together with the 380s they have.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Really? Do you think they will get a reduction on the lease payments as a result?

The indication was that the reason for trying to arrange a sub lease for 20 units was to save costs.
My assumption is that Greater Anglia are committed to leasing the surplus 720s as it is what they originally ordered. So GA (DfT) are paying for them anyway. So GA will have to sub lease them to another TOC. The ROSCO/Alstom are not going to take on that responsibility. While a sub lease is not forthcoming then it makes sense that GA rotate the 720s to ensure reliability. Its not like 379s or 360/2s that drivers don't sign. Then it will be a race between GA needing them or another TOC needing them.

The reality check of course is that a lot more than 20 are yet to be accepted. But it looks like progress is now steady. How soon before all the 720s are GA responsibility to use ?.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Have GA reduced the timetable due to covid demand? Otherwise where has this surplus 20 units come from? Surely they ordered what they needed?

Would they not as someone above mentioned rotate the fleet, keep them, and when demand increases, use the units for increased services?
Haven't some of the peak time extras which used to run towards Southend not returned?

meld3

Makes more sense to let c2c have them. They already have 12, and some of the 357's will be due expensive overhauls soon. Might even be cheaper leasing rates on the 720's compared to the 357's as interest rates were at historic lows when ordered and we kept being told that new trains were cheaper than old ones. Also easy to use when diverted from Fenchurch St at weekends into Liv. St.

Established Member
Makes more sense to let c2c have them. They already have 12, and some of the 357's will be due expensive overhauls soon. Might even be cheaper leasing rates on the 720's compared to the 357's as interest rates were at historic lows when ordered and we kept being told that new trains were cheaper than old ones. Also easy to use when diverted from Fenchurch St at weekends into Liv. St.
C2C that have not accepted a single unit as yet? Even though they have been on ‘test’ or what ever it is they do with them, down in London for several months.

C2C seem in no hurry to accept the units.

43102EMR

Established Member
C2C seem in no hurry to accept the units.
They’re in more of a hurry than you think - there’s pressure from all sides; Porterbrook, Alstom and c2c to hand them over to c2c and get them into service.

chubs

Haven't some of the peak time extras which used to run towards Southend not returned?

The Stansted Service is still half what it was pre covid too, despite Stansted passenger numbers being almost at pre covid levels this summer.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Likewise Southend Airport is incredibly quiet these days

I think their mostly likely destination is C2C as the line will slowly succumb to Aventras by 2030. Once the BR EMUs are gone the mass-extinction of Electrostars will commence.

Alfie1014

Still only 4tph in the peaks. Pre March 2020 there were departures every ten minutes.
Since this month’s timetable change the morning ‘high’ peak hour is up to 6 tph 07:00, 07:11, 07:23, 07:33, 07:41 and 07:50 from Southend Vic.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Since this month’s timetable change the morning ‘high’ peak hour is up to 6 tph 07:00, 07:11, 07:23, 07:33, 07:41 and 07:50 from Southend Vic.
Ah, I was looking at the afternoon peak in the country bound direction where it is still 4tph from 1637 to 1852.

Interesting to see it is more concentrated in the London bound peak.

warwickshire

On Moderation
The 0741 from Southend Victoria ran from early September 2022. out of interest. Sometimes it was x2 321. Sometimes a 720. Since December timetable change it's a 5 car 720. Between September and December it was shown as a STP working.

Two Stansted diagrams single 720s today. Anyone know what 745s are up to? Having a rest in Norwich?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Two Stansted diagrams single 720s today. Anyone know what 745s are up to? Having a rest in Norwich?
Singles? That's desperate. I'd have thought there ought to be plenty of 720s by now. Time to dust off a pair of class 317s. :D

Wivenswold

Established Member
I think it was Rail Magazine that mentioned about 18 months ago that the last 20 GA Aventras would have an "airport configuration", the plan was to put the 745/1s to use on the GEML.
We've had 2 changes of Government since then and the plan changed somewhere along the line.

We've got a few more peak services back but the Clacton line still isn't at full capacity, the original timetable planned for 4 tph to Southend Vic and 3 tph to Norwich between the peaks. The Norwich in 90 service hasn't returned (that I know of) and many of the service extensions that were planned for the Bi-modes haven't materialised. So there's some slack in the planned fleet. It's all a total mess-up really. The drift away from a 5 day working week was only expedited by the Pandemic so giving a franchise award based on numbers of seats was short-sighted.

Instead of packed 5 car trains with narrow seats we could have had a more luxurious and comfortable 2+2 configuration and the full compliment of units intended.