• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Good and Bad Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EssexCommuter

No this IS an argument I hate. No one forces you to work in London, live out in the country and commute. That is your choice to do so. No one forces you to travel by train each day. You could get stuck in the massive jams on the A12 & M25 each day. You choose to commute and commute by train. Why not get a job closer to home instead, or live in London?

Ah, this gem.
No, I'm not forced to work in London, live in the country and travel by train each day. Yes, I choose to travel by train rather than sit in my car, contributing to pollution. I am also very much a net contributor to the country in terms of taxes in/what I take out. If I worked closer to home, I'd pay less in tax (and also wouldn't be contributing to the government via my AGA fare). If I lived in London I'd have less disposable income and therefore pay less via VAT.

I don't understand why I can't expect a decent service for the money I pay. Bearing in mind AGA is also a net contributor, giving money back to the government, I'm losing out twice.

I fully understand that many of the problems are the fault of Network Rail for infrastructure and the Government for the terms of the franchise, but that doesn't mean commuters like me shouldn't want better for our area.

Why are you so against investment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
In other news a failed freightliner on the down line at Chelmsford (think it was a GBRf loco) is causing bi-directional working over the up line between Church Lane and Brickhouse tonight with inevitable delays.

I think if you terminate short of destination you avoid penalty.

That may be incorrect too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ginger.

Great job Weds. Have you seen Alif on twitter annoying several of our colleagues and now in hiding?
Its great to see people who are fed up with the status quo appearing here.

Please look at EA Passenger Voice.

We need a united front not a disperate set of whingers.

Tweet them please.
And Dave I see we will never exchange Christmas cards but can you and Darandio see the aggro we suffer daily or is it stil "whats the fuss"

Look at @delayed_again and the twitter and phone thteats people have received today to back off from someone called Alif.

Prob not a GA employee more a loony.

LAX54

Established Member
In other news a failed freightliner on the down line at Chelmsford (think it was a GBRf loco) is causing bi-directional working over the up line between Church Lane and Brickhouse tonight with inevitable delays.

Not a good night, GB train (1734 Fxst) failed on the single line from Felixstowe, causing chaos overall, then once that had been rescued (loco off 1200 Selby) and on the move, with a spare loco coming from PQ to take up the Selby train, another GB train failed at Chelmsford ! There was a TBird loco to go and rescue in the form of a FL loco, but this failed also! in the end the loco off the 1430 Hams Hall sped from Fxst to Chelmsford to rescue it !
Ah, this gem.
No, I'm not forced to work in London, live in the country and travel by train each day. Yes, I choose to travel by train rather than sit in my car, contributing to pollution. I am also very much a net contributor to the country in terms of taxes in/what I take out. If I worked closer to home, I'd pay less in tax (and also wouldn't be contributing to the government via my AGA fare). If I lived in London I'd have less disposable income and therefore pay less via VAT.

I don't understand why I can't expect a decent service for the money I pay. Bearing in mind AGA is also a net contributor, giving money back to the government, I'm losing out twice.

I fully understand that many of the problems are the fault of Network Rail for infrastructure and the Government for the terms of the franchise, but that doesn't mean commuters like me shouldn't want better for our area.

None of the problems tonight (Fri) are down to Network Rail though :)

Dave1987

On Moderation
Ah, this gem.

I'm not against investment at all, would love to see Network Rail get the track sorted out and the line speed to be 100mph all the way from London to Norwich. If new trains are coming in the new franchise then great but it won't solve the big issues on GEML.

Last edited:

EssexCommuter

I'm not against investment at all, would love to see Network Rail get the track sorted out and the line speed to be 100mph all the way from London to Norwich. If new trains are coming in the new franchise then great but it won't solve the big issues on GEML.

Indeed it won't although hopefully it will go some way towards decreasing the volume of train failures. We need investment from NR, and real maintenance from AGA.

It would be great if journey times were reduced, but right now just meeting the timetable once in a while would be enough. Timetables have been hugely padded in recent years.
Not a good night, GB train (1734 Fxst) failed on the single line from Felixstowe, causing chaos overall, then once that had been rescued (loco off 1200 Selby) and on the move, with a spare loco coming from PQ to take up the Selby train, another GB train failed at Chelmsford ! There was a TBird loco to go and rescue in the form of a FL loco, but this failed also! in the end the loco off the 1430 Hams Hall sped from Fxst to Chelmsford to rescue it !

None of the problems tonight (Fri) are down to Network Rail though :)
I didn't ever find out what the delays were due to. The driver was very good and tried to communicate but he had no idea why we kept stopping at red.

Essexman

Established Member
I've used Greater Anglia three times in the last two weeks - to Mistley, Harwich & South Woodham Ferrers. On all three journeys I've been delayed by between 45 - 60 minutes by missed outbound connections.

It's of course arguable as to whether they should have been held (arrived 5 & 7 minutes after branch departure time at Manningtree and 2 minutes at Wickford) but in each case communication was inadequate and customers unhappy with blame (unfairly or otherwise) directed at Greater Anglia.

Dave1987

On Moderation
EssexCommuter & Angliarailuser - the other thing that has to be noted though it the massive hypocrisy of "Delayed_again". I remember a year ago when people were constantly complaining about the constant weekend engineering works and the DA account was constantly tweeting about how it was scandalous that there was no proper weekend train service. So AGA negotiated a reduced the amount of weekend engineering works with NR so there was a regular weekend service. Then he started tweeting how it is scandalous that AGA have stopped NR getting the possessions and stopped them getting the work done, I mean how hypocritical is that!!

And now TFL Rail have taken over the Metros suddenly all the delays and failures are perfectly ok, and he is at pains to defend them constantly even the major lack of info TFL Rail give out. Apparently they are too busy "sorting out the mess AGA left" to give passengers info on their train service. If AGA did that no doubt it would be scandalous.

And you wonder why people believe he just has a vendetta against one company.

Suspect Dave we all have different views and ways of communicating them.

DA may not be to everyones taste but I believe he represents commuters views without agreeing with him on everything

LAX54

Established Member
I've used Greater Anglia three times in the last two weeks - to Mistley, Harwich & South Woodham Ferrers. On all three journeys I've been delayed by between 45 - 60 minutes by missed outbound connections.

It's of course arguable as to whether they should have been held (arrived 5 & 7 minutes after branch departure time at Manningtree and 2 minutes at Wickford) but in each case communication was inadequate and customers unhappy with blame (unfairly or otherwise) directed at Greater Anglia.

Manningtree, limited scope to recover on the branch, 7L downwards would mean 6or 7L back, and connection to London lost. one would have throught 2 mins at Wickford would be ok tho ?

Established Member
In the latest TOC performance figures, AGA appears 12th out of the 23 TOCs at 91.1% (MAA).
They beat all the long-distance operators, and also paragons like SWT (90.1%).
Still a long way short of LO, c2c and ME though, who are all at 95% or better.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/about/performance/

You can't go posting actual facts like this, it undermines the whole anti AGA Campaign ;)

In terms of TOCs of similar size and complexity AGA overall are not the disaster some would have you believe, although once the inner suburban services disappear from the figures in a years time the MAA may well drop.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Just realised today that in the latest timetable, we may have lost the Cambridge 379s into Stratford on a Sunday (good for comfort/air conditioning), but have gained the Hertford East services that means:

1) A 30 minute service on Sunday (awesome!) instead of hourly.
2) Now officially standard class only, making it nice and easy to go in first class and not worry about the unofficial declassification that existed before (i.e. AGA saying it was FC and RPIs saying it wasn't!).

Well done AGA for this. Given how wonderful the QE Olympic Park is to walk around, I can us going far more often now that 2tph makes it so easy to get to and from without having to plan things around the train.

Both trains today were 317/6s (they weren't the same unit!) which is fine, albeit a little toastie when the train had sat at SRA for 20 odd minutes in the sun. Only funny thing was there were two RPIs on the train at SRA, who noted the time of the train to put on their log sheets but then stood in the vestibule between FC and alighted at TOM without doing a check at all!

Last edited:

Established Member
The Sunday timetable is a joint AGA / TfL production, all due to the transfer of the Southbury Line services.

Remember the Hertfords used to run via Southbury on Sunday, but diverting them to the Lea Valley not only allows a 30 minute service to Stratford but with a separate Cheshunt service via Southbury also gives a 15 minute service to the smaller stations between Hackney Downs and Edmonton Green.

Last edited:
You wait till that hamster dies!
And good the Lea Valley has a service after the no bus replacement debacle last year.

Morning Spad

Still awake?
Perhaps Spad if you paid 7 grandfor an annual season and had your train cancelled three consecutive days ou wouldn't be quite as flippant.

TheEdge

Established Member
Morning Spad

Still awake?
Perhaps Spad if you paid 7 grandfor an annual season and had your train cancelled three consecutive days ou wouldn't be quite as flippant.

And perhaps if you would actually listen to people who understand the issues and direct your energy towards those issues rather than shouting and screaming like petulant children about Abellio then maybe you'd get some useful reactions.

We got Jamie Burles and Richard Schofield at Bar 1901for 4 hours last Weds and paid for their drinks.

Some progress.

TheEdge

Established Member
We got Jamie Burles and Richard Schofield at Bar 1901for 4 hours last Weds and paid for their drinks.

Some progress.

And? Thats nothing.

You need to be asking of the DfT of their logic of awarding Abellio a pointlessly short franchise in 2012 (remember we should a year into a long franchise, not a year away from the end of an extension). You need to be pushing to ensure the next franchise includes a decent amount of contractual investment in stock, infrastructure, staffing, the lot. You need to ask of Network Rail what they are doing about infrastructure improvements, crossing failures, signal failures. You need to push for the improvements between Stowmarket and Ely so more freight can be sent north from Felixstowe via Ely rather than via the GEML and NLL.

None of that is complaining about litter and train faults on Twitter till you are blue in the face. None of that is chucking hyperbole about.

Abellio Greater Anglia in its current form is not carrying on, if Abellio keep the franchise it will be part run with Stagecoach. Shouting at Abellio now is not going to do you anything. You need to be pressuring NR and the DfT to make sure the big franchise is as a good as it can be.

Is that a decent start Edge?

Dialogue between both parties?

It may not get us anywhere but we are trying.

Burles was incredibly honest about poor performance and state of trains.

Its not all Abellios fault. They need Government investment. The 321s particularly need major refurbs as with 321448 but how many trains has it worked compared to the days it spends redundant at Ilford.

Same as the 317 expensively refurbed by Angel Trains who I know well through my work through the CIPS Kent Branch. How many trains has it worked? Very few.

Anglia is a premium payer subsidising others to get new trains. Other than the excellent 379s Anglia has had none.

The botched Mk3 refurb is an example of wrong spec and lack of care.

Edge, I assume you either work for the railway and get priv or are a casual user.

Try and view it from the forced season ticket holder to London point of view.

Domh245

Established Member
Anglia is a premium payer subsidising others to get new trains. Other than the excellent 379s Anglia has had none.

Are you sure about that statement? Looking at the latest (2013-14) figures from the DfT. AGA is currently receiving a net subsidy of £41.6million. The only franchises that were paying a net premium were SWT, FCC, and EC.

Breaking it into parts, AGA paid £160.3mil as their train operator subsidy premium, but received a £201.9mil network grant. Per passenger, it works out as a 1.5p per mile subsidy per passenger.

nesw

30 Class 321s will receive a C6X refresh paid for by the ROSCO. - The rolling stock thread has more info.

On a separate note, I think there are grey clouds looming over the future of Abellio as a business following the Q buzz case last week.

Dave1987

On Moderation

Sorry but the 379's are not excellent. They are 4 years old and already showing signs of age. Don't think they will last 10 years let alone 40. But they were built by Bombardier so what else should one expect. The contract for the Crossrail trains was rigged so they would win it no matter what.

I actually like 379s but take your point on the showing age front.

Was not aware Abellio were a net beneficiary in the way. No wonder they want to hang on to it even with Stagecoach.

Not the figures quoted by Mr Burles last week but there you are.

Probably why they pay their taxes in Luxembourg

Wolfie

Established Member
Sorry but the 379's are not excellent. They are 4 years old and already showing signs of age. Don't think they will last 10 years let alone 40. But they were built by Bombardier so what else should one expect. The contract for the Crossrail trains was rigged so they would win it no matter what.

Taking away the anti-Bombardier stuff (as no justification is given) I would ask if the issue is more AGA/it's predecessors and the adequacy of their maintenance/train preparation. Certainly the 379s are in a notably worse condition than other Bombardier products of a similar vintage being maintained and operated by other TOCs. However the same could be said of GA's 317s and 321s for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.