• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Good and Bad Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Twitter is fantastic. AGA use it a medium for reward and recognition, and they themselves, encourage it's use, hence their dedicated twitter team. So are you saying that, the bus driver is not an indirect ambassador for AGA? Right or wrong, this individual may have been travelling in a coach without a livery, and his only point of contact, with a dedicated reply team, is AGA. At least they acknowledged receipt of his inquiry.

Said individual has simply raised an issue of potential 'safety'. Would you not do the same in your workplace?

A question about safety where the OP doesn't even know the rules? Not sure. I don't see why such a question wasn't raised with the driver themselves "Scuse me mate was that allowed?" But of course I forget most people would rather 'complain' indirectly because they're not concerned enough to actually do anything about it! Why tag the local rag?

Would I go on twitter to raise a safety concern at work I'm assuming you're asking given that's what you say happened here? No, I would talk to the person involved first, in this case the driver.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scott118

A question about safety where the OP doesn't even know the rules? Not sure. I don't see why such a question cannot be raised with the driver themselves "Scuse me mate, was that allowed?" But of course I forget most people would rather 'complain' indirectly because they're not concerned enough to actually do anything about it! Why tag the local rag?

so is the OP not using twitter in an attempt to find an answer to his question? AGA have acknowledged his question. Neither the police nor the local rag have done so to date. I was always told, when i was young, to be not shy to ask a policeman. I'm not familiar to the road layout, so i can't comment on who is right or not, however the OP has been advised that coaches aren't allowed to use, the said bridge by another. Today's news is tomorrow's fish and chip paper surely...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Whoever runs that GA Complaints Twitter account is a total (censored to prevent myself being barred).

Dave1987

On Moderation
I think some of the comments on Twitter especially from "Graham Thom" are clearly enough to make sure the MP's stay well away from any association.

With regards to the Norwich - London services it always amazes me peoples perception of the 'fast' trains. I've known people deliberately wait for a hauled set because they see them as the 'fast' services even though the Ipswich - London service they purposely missed would have got them to London ten minutes earlier, they want to wait for the hauled set just because it is non stop to London.

I agree with the people who say Norwich in 90 is neither feasible or really needed to be honest. All the current connections would need to be redone which means a major timetabling change which would then impact on driver/guard diagrams etc etc. I mean just look at the opposition to them trying to close two level crossings at Stowmarket and the so called "Berlin Wall" effect if they are closed. There isn't a realistic prospect of raising the line speed to 110mph in the near future. My favourite comment about the Stowmarket level crossing closure story was "We really want improved journey times to London but only if it doesn't affect us" :roll:

Last edited:

scott118

https://twitter.com/ShaunySlutty/status/577064326739173376

'Helpful' input from 'GA Complaints' around the derailment incident earlier on.

So the OP is from an area that AGA, doesn't even cover and has asked a legitimate question. AGA have responded, giving the facts in front of them, pending an investigation i don't doubt. GA complaints, clearly has an agenda. It's his right to his 'impaired' viewpoint as is anyone else. Looking at the bigger picture, will one account and the minions they attract to it, make any difference to how AGA run its operations? I doubt, they fully understand the impact of delay minutes blah blah and of course ramp up the so called hate, through this benign account. Yes AGA have their faults. Look at the passenger focus stats, however in this day and age, those that are likely to complain are the very same who will complete these surveys. It's rare to be rewarded for doing a good, valued job these days.

Twitter in the main, is a valuable tool. However there is always going to be an 'idiot'. Every village has one.

With respect to the bus driving earlier, has anyone considered that the OP could have been intimidated for whatever reason, and maybe sought the safety of his question, from behind his keyboard rather than provoke a reaction, he'd find upsetting. Not everyone uses twitter to damage others, and the sheer nature of their own make up, makes people react differently. That's what makes us all unique surely.

jon0844

Veteran Member
There's a conversation about AGA that concludes people should switch to using VTEC.

Does that mean people move home/work, or that Virgin is now running trains beyond the ECML?

It's quite embarrassing.

scott118

There's a conversation about AGA that concludes people should switch to using VTEC.

Does that mean people move home/work, or that Virgin is now running trains beyond the ECML?

It's quite embarrassing.

How is it? Because one simpleton has created a hate campaign account against AGA, as they have a deluded viewpoint of them?

"you should check out VTEC they're mostly good." mostly? AGA don't operate in the OP's specified location. Surely they are old enough to generate their own opinion and concerns, given the content of the OP's message content, i would think he wouldn't be swayed by this throw away comment about who is best when travelling north.

SPADTrap

Established Member
So the OP is from an area that AGA, doesn't even cover and has asked a legitimate question. AGA have responded, giving the facts in front of them, pending an investigation i don't doubt. GA complaints, clearly has an agenda. It's his right to his 'impaired' viewpoint as is anyone else. Looking at the bigger picture, will one account and the minions they attract to it, make any difference to how AGA run its operations? I doubt, they fully understand the impact of delay minutes blah blah and of course ramp up the so called hate, through this benign account. Yes AGA have their faults. Look at the passenger focus stats, however in this day and age, those that are likely to complain are the very same who will complete these surveys. It's rare to be rewarded for doing a good, valued job these days.

Twitter in the main, is a valuable tool. However there is always going to be an 'idiot'. Every village has one.

With respect to the bus driving earlier, has anyone considered that the OP could have been intimidated for whatever reason, and maybe sought the safety of his question, from behind his keyboard rather than provoke a reaction, he'd find upsetting. Not everyone uses twitter to damage others, and the sheer nature of their own make up, makes people react differently. That's what makes us all unique surely.

Twitter is what Twitter is, I don't concern myself with whether it's good or bad I was just pointing out the foolishness of a Twitter group which seems to be affiliated with the campaign for better Anglia services, not good advertising for anyone other than an in the heat of the moment frustrated commuter - but that's been done to death! Will it make a difference? Not like that. Do I want a difference to be made? Yes, hence my frustrations when they act like children because as you say it won't make a difference retweeting and getting involved where you shouldn't to have a good stir up.

Last edited:

Dave1987

On Moderation
How is it? Because one simpleton has created a hate campaign account against AGA, as they have a deluded viewpoint of them?

"you should check out VTEC they're mostly good." mostly? AGA don't operate in the OP's specified location. Surely they are old enough to generate their own opinion and concerns, given the content of the OP's message content, i would think he wouldn't be swayed by this throw away comment about who is best when travelling north.

I agree with you to a certain point that Twitter is a great tool for getting live information to people about what is happening. Indeed the media and most businesses in general have harnessed the power of social media to communicate with customers directly. Twitter has given individual people the power to get their voices heard. Now some people have taken that to mean they have a god given right to know everything that happens. When there are operating incidents you often get people on Twitter demanding to know exactly what has happened and who is responsible, and then accuse the TOC of a cover up when they refuse to give details. The "Delayed Again" account seems to believe that because he has more followers than someone else his opinion matters more, and anyone who disagrees with him is an "apologist". These examples are why a lot of people are not loving Twitter as it just seems to be an way that people can moan and troll. So the positive aspects of Twitter don't shine out as much as they should.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
The thing with these anti AGA Twitter accounts is that they keep butting in on conversations between people and AGA, just stirring things up. I've been very tempted to say 'mind your own business' before, but of course they have the right to do it. It's how Twitter works, but I still find it rude.

It would be like standing outside a Tesco and telling everyone not to go in because you don't like the store, and harassing those who just want you to get out of their way.

dk1

Veteran Member
The thing with these anti AGA Twitter accounts is that they keep butting in on conversations between people and AGA, just stirring things up. I've been very tempted to say 'mind your own business' before, but of course they have the right to do it. It's how Twitter works, but I still find it rude.

It would be like standing outside a Tesco and telling everyone not to go in because you don't like the store, and harassing those who just want you to get out of their way.

Do what I do & simply BLOCK. Even if they post cr@p as usual, all is fluffy in my Twitter world haha.

sadgit

To follow up on the earlier shock at my being happy with the service from NRW-CBG-KGX the other weekend, I'm shocked to the core to report that I've done that journey twice this weekend and it was absolutely fine both times with no stress or hassle.

Also the WiFi worked LST-NRW whereas South West Trains' might as well just not be there. But then, I did pay for it.

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
To follow up on the earlier shock at my being happy with the service from NRW-CBG-KGX the other weekend, I'm shocked to the core to report that I've done that journey twice this weekend and it was absolutely fine both times with no stress or hassle.

Also the WiFi worked LST-NRW whereas South West Trains' might as well just not be there. But then, I did pay for it.

How dare AGA provide a decent service, Temptation to start a new twitter account that promotes all the good that AGA try to do.

scott118

shouldn't you be posting this on the GA complaints twitter group page chap? This is exactly the material that needs to posted as it quite rightly discredits their whole groups ethos. Somewhat tit for tat, however it, over time, would kind of deflate their rantings..

how dare AGA run, an on time, acceptable business! There's a complaint all in it's self surely?

Was there not an issue with their toilets? I know Guards who have failed units recently, due to having no toilets from the offset of duty. Seems to be quite a problem at Norwich....

dk1

Veteran Member
Was there not an issue with their toilets? I know Guards who have failed units recently, due to having no toilets from the offset of duty. Seems to be quite a problem at Norwich....

Has only really become an issue since the 156s where fitted with retention toilets. See the old ways are always the best ;)

scott118

Has only really become an issue since the 156s where fitted with retention toilets. See the old ways are always the best ;)

so there's no issue with 170's, entering service from Crown Point, with all THREE toilets locked out of use? Nor the fact that during the ongoing engineering works at the weekends, where everyone is being advised to travel via CBG, units are being swapped from 3 to 2 car units, that leave NRW, full and standing with only one toilet in use? Toilets on 170's have been totally unacceptable for months, not only to paying customers, but more importantly their own people. Jamie has an inbox full of complaints from his staff.

however, the old ways sometimes worked best, yes. Will this be an end to the triffid like lineside vegetation i wonder?

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
so there's no issue with 170's, entering service from Crown Point, with all THREE toilets locked out of use? Nor the fact that during the ongoing engineering works at the weekends, where everyone is being advised to travel via CBG, units are being swapped from 3 to 2 car units, that leave NRW, full and standing with only one toilet in use? Toilets on 170's have been totally unacceptable for months, not only to paying customers, but more importantly their own people. Jamie has an inbox full of complaints from his staff.

however, the old ways sometimes worked best, yes. Will this be an end to the triffid like lineside vegetation i wonder?

The 170s have often had maybe one toilet OOU but not as bad as it's got lately. Not quite sure the reason as although I don't venture into the Bermuda Triangle so much these days, the tanks are always emptied whilst fuelling takes place. Something is going wrong & yes you are correct, Jamie's inbox is very full come Monday morning.

scott118

The 170s have often had maybe one toilet OOU but not as bad as it's got lately. Not quite sure the reason as although I don't venture into the Bermuda Triangle so much these days, the tanks are always emptied whilst fuelling takes place. Something is going wrong & yes you are correct, Jamie's inbox is very full come Monday morning.

Toilets aside, don't even get me started on the carriage of bicycles between NRW - CBG, neither. No amount of signs are going to help the poor guard when AGA enforce a four bike only ruling.. Be interesting to see where the MTSO's vanish too, when called for...does anyone know if any of their bike scheme's have ever been used? To pre register your intention to use one, doesn't help the situation....

dk1

Veteran Member
Toilets aside, don't even get me started on the carriage of bicycles between NRW - CBG, neither. No amount of signs are going to help the poor guard when AGA enforce a four bike only ruling.. Be interesting to see where the MTSO's vanish too, when called for...does anyone know if any of their bike scheme's have ever been used? To pre register your intention to use one, doesn't help the situation....

Bike & Go scheme is the biggest waste of money I have witnessed for a very long time. That's franchise commitments for you. As for the 4 bikes per train, that was relaxed to "or guards discretion' a few years ago. Most are very helpful & not many enforce the rule.

Pugwash

Does anyone know what is going on at Chelmsford Station ? - work appears to have stopped for 6 months now.

scott118

Bike & Go scheme is the biggest waste of money I have witnessed for a very long time. That's franchise commitments for you. As for the 4 bikes per train, that was relaxed to "or guards discretion' a few years ago. Most are very helpful & not many enforce the rule.

Most have relaxed it through 'passenger pressure' however would AGA support the guard should an incident take place whilst carrying more than the 'specified' allowed? Or indeed refuse carriage to a disabled pax, purely because someone else wanted to cycle to and from? i think not. So to safeguard their continued employee some are beginning to tow the companies stance on numbers, much to the annoyance of the person not allowed to travel. Have you experienced the numbers expecting to travel from CBG on the 16-18.12? EMT units only carry two cycles, and when AGA use their 158 from LWT in the morning, that again is oversubscribed before the unit departs. Posters are printed at NRW and CBG, however they are never used nor displayed to assist the guard trying to enforce company policy. Is this to avoid future conflict i wonder?

Bike and go is the most ridiculous scheme i'd agree. The Dutch certainly have a very different view point on cycle ownership and usage, however they, the cyclist, are much better thought of than they are here for sure...

4 cycles only, sure is going to create a very sour, bitter taste for some, especially on a first come served basis.

Last edited:

scott118

What's the alternative when space is so limited though?

Limited space has nothing to do with it. Other TOC's carry less. It's about educating the passengers that, the carriage of their bicycles isn't guaranteed. They, AGA, have printed the posters and they are in place at their stations, unfortunately though, not in sight of the travelling public. Most have never seen the outside of the cardboard tube, that they are sent out of the printers in..

Wouldn't it be an idea to start supporting their staff firstly, rather than leaving it to the 'guards' discretion? As it is those, that will be verbally abused, and potentially prosecuted, when AGA enforce their four bike ruling..

dk1

Veteran Member
I've had 14 on a 2-car 170. Always willing to break that record :D

I've not noticed anything other than the usual few wanting to tow the company line.

Last edited:

scott118

I've had 14 on a 2-car 170. Always willing to break that record :D

I've not noticed anything other than the usual few wanting to tow the company line.

What a guy! And you could of safely accommodated a wheelchair on that trip also? I'm sure AGA would support your actions for as long as it didn't put their good name into disrepute. How can those 'usual few', tow the company line, when you yourself freely admit that you are happy to set new records for overcrowding? How can you be seen to turn people away with bikes one week, when last week you was more than happy to take me, when AGA enforce their ruling? Those that have had any dealings with the manager's at NRW, will be all too aware of their local support..:lol: Perhaps that's the reason for the North/South re-org that's happening within..Not that the local support will change post event...

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm a driver mate so not up to me. I just go with the flow. Never thought about it that much to be honest.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
AGA currently have "Cycle Marshals" at Cambridge, though this is for outside the station to help educate about and enforce the parking restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.