• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia in financial negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edders23

"But the DfT's financial test is only to check whether their is enough parent company support after removing over optimistic projections - they don't check whether they make a profit or not"

perhaps they should because these companies are in it for profit and that would be a good indicator of the franchisee's willingness to see the franchise through

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HH

Established Member
perhaps they should because these companies are in it for profit and that would be a good indicator of the franchisee's willingness to see the franchise through
Given how much depends on various aspects of the economy, if you subject bids to all the possible downsides then very few (if any) would be able to take it. Besides, while the DfT would like TOCs to see their franchises out, PCS is there precisely to make sure that they (and taxpayers) don't lose out if they don't.

sprunt

The current incumbent would, in normal times, have had reasonable expectation of being 'shuffled out' by now. The average time in the post since 2002 being less than 2 years.
But of course these are not normal times. :)

Hooray! Someone in the post for an extended period - they should be able to really get to grips with the subject matter and be in a position to make positive changes!

Oh.

Have GA not done well financially out of the GTR shambles encouraging people to use them instead in areas served by both?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Hooray! Someone in the post for an extended period - they should be able to really get to grips with the subject matter and be in a position to make positive changes!

Oh.

Have GA not done well financially out of the GTR shambles encouraging people to use them instead in areas served by both?

They certainly seem to be pushing Cambridge from LST hard - posters spotted all over , Croydon and SW19 areas ..."take a punt from £9" ..........

Starmill

Veteran Member
They certainly seem to be pushing Cambridge from LST hard - posters spotted all over , Croydon and SW19 areas ..."take a punt from £9" ..........
At the weekend, a Cambridge to London return now undercuts the price of a Harlow Town to London return, and all intermediate stations including Stansted Airport! They are absolutely pushing that route for end to end.

Sleepy

Established Member
GA drivers have a "harmonisation" deal on the table which they are currently voting on. If it's a no vote (many strings for £££) will the company want to force the issue and end up in dispute with ASLEF ? New stock appearing very soon and no deal for drivers to operate doors in current non - DOO areas.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
And the endless endless never ending weekend and late night engineering work, IMHO, have turned substantial numbers of leisure travellers away from the GEML. An MP from Essex recently described GA as 'a bus company that occasionally runs a train'.
How would the (nameless) MP like to maintain and renew the railway then? An extended Blockade perhaps? More weekends and no evenings? Answers on a postcard to GA maybe?

However I will accept that the number of weekends the line has been blocked to London has been too many. The previous MD, Ruud Haket, I think was on the right lines with eight weekends of all day blocks on the GE Main Line per year if not the right execution - I think perhaps a number nearer to 15 might be more realistic but frankly the current number is just way over the top.

I think their planning replacing EVERY train is silly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 170s for example. There's some argument about having a uniform fleet, but I doubt there's really much of a saving there.

The fact that even I as a railway layman can see there aren't enough trains for the service pattern suggests that not only were the bid team divorced from operations, but that they were a bunch of jokers.
It's not as if that's the only problem that's emerged, there's a litany of errors:
Not enough trains
Trains too long for platforms
Bimode FLIRTs too heavy for Sprinter differential speeds. So they remove some fuel tanks. Now it appears they may be incapable of carrying enough fuel to fulfill a typical diagram, and STILL be too heavy.
The Brantham depot débâcle.
The Crown Point refurbishment impacting current fleet maintenance to the extent it's got noticeably shabby over the past year.

A more sensible plan would have been to keep the 170s, replace the 15x units with something new(er) and replace the MK3 stock with mk5s or cascaded mk4s and kept the class 90 locomotives.
There is a saving in having a uniform fleet in terms of maintenance spares (units) but also parts.
The trains being too long for the platforms is NOT an issue in itself as this happens now on Clacton, Braintree and Southminster branches as well as various routes in the former Anglia area. It is how its to managed in respect of other risks like Level Crossings and others and I don't think this has been thought through in respect of the new trains.
Have the Bi-mode FLIRTs definitely been confirmed as being too heavy for SP speeds? I heard there might be another solution to this? The removal of the fuel tanks I haven't seen mentioned on this board so would be interested to know where you heard that one?

But in the long term I doubt the parent company will even want to try and dip their toes into the British railway ever again, especially with a higher percentage of no-deal brexit.

The Brexit vote hadn't happened when the bid was submitted. There was talk apparently that the bidders might withdraw given the vote was for Brexit. It will be indeed interesting to see what happens in the event of a no deal Brexit - which I sadly think is looking more likely than not.

trebor79

Established Member
The weight thing and fuel tank removal was mebtiomen in the specific thread about the FLIRTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.